Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I was in the US for 88 days (mid-August to mid-November), returned home to Norway, and traveled back over here on January 10. Had all my papers with me, including updated letters from my manager at work and my apartment manager, to show ties to home. I wasn't asked about any of them. The only person who asked me why I was visiting the states, was the security officer at Schiphol airport (they do "pre immigration interviews" at the gate). The CBP officer at JFK only asked me about length of stay, then said "well, that's pretty much the rest of the month, isn't it", stamped my passport for 90 days and wished me a nice stay.

It should be noted (maybe?) that JFK uses the new system of self service passport control at immigration (if you're a returning ESTA visitor) - you scan your passport, do your fingerprints and photo at a little computer kiosk. Thus the time spent at the CBP officer's desk was much shorter than I've had before.

This is great news for me and my fiance. I was there September to December 1st and now I know I can go to see him for about 2 weeks. He wants me to come for Valentine's so we'll see :) Thank you for sharing your experience!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I've been wanting to let everyone know about this, as I was also in the boat of "worrying". My fiancée came during Thanksgiving for 2 weeks (Nov 22 - Dec 3, 2014). She's from Hong Kong and had absolutely no problem getting into NYC (JFK). In fact she said the customs were very friendly and the process was super fast too. Hope this helps.

Edited by a+i

K1 Fiancée Visa

Filed August 5, 2014 - Approved June 11, 2015

DOE JFK November 9, 2015

Married December 21, 2015

Adjustment of Status

Filed: January 6, 2016

SSN applied December 14, 2015, recv'd January 4, 2016

Approved: March 16, 2016

EAD/GC recv'd March 28, 2016

It should be noted (maybe?) that JFK uses the new system of self service passport control at immigration (if you're a returning ESTA visitor) - you scan your passport, do your fingerprints and photo at a little computer kiosk. Thus the time spent at the CBP officer's desk was much shorter than I've had before.

This is also the case at LAX now :)

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

The self serving kiosks are also done in Detroit! Detroit also has a k1 visa line, which is pretty nice.

Edited by sandra3711

K-1 Journey: 309 days from received to POE (TSC)

[september 11, 2014] - I-129F received by USCIS

[september 15, 2014] - NOA1
[May 27, 2015] - NOA2
[July 9, 2015] - I N T E R V I E W! (APPROVED!)
[July 13, 2015] - Issued
[July 14, 2015] - Visa in hand
[July 16, 2015] - POE JFK

AOS Journey: 169 days from received to GC in hand (NSC)

Spoiler

[July 17, 2015] - Successfully applied for SSN

[July 18, 2015] - Sent out AOS package

[July 21, 2015] - Received

[July 24, 2015] - NOA1 (3x)

[August 18, 2015] - Biometrics

[september 19, 2015] - EAD/AP approval (63 days)

[september 24, 2015] - EAD/AP Received

[January 6, 2016] - Green Card approved without interview(166 days)

[January 12, 2016] - Received Green Card

ROC journey starts: October 2017

ROC Journey: 419 days (VSC)

[October 30, 2017] - Sent package

[November 3, 2017] - NOA1

[November 18, 2017] - Biometrics letter received

[December 5, 2017] - Biometrics

[December 18, 2018] - Card is being produced (no interview)

[December 22, 2018] - Received Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

US Customs and Border Protection has information and the list of airports supporting the Automated Passport Control here: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/automated-passport-control-apc

For those of you who do not come from an english speaking country and wanted to bring rental agreements/ letters from employer etc - how did you get that done? I can probably write my own letter and get my boss to sign it and print it on company paper, but how about renting agreements? How did you do it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

AHH! Thank you guys for renewed hope! I came in from Ecuador after Christmas, and was shocked to see the new passport thing at Newark. Thought maybe it was just for US citizens, but it's for all people through immigration? Nice! That will take way less time and questioning, hopefully.

So.. WE BOUGHT TICKETS! My fiance will be here a little before Valentines Day (!) & will be staying through to April for my sister's wedding (which we're both in). So excited! & so happy to hear everyone is having an easy time at JFK! That's where he'll be flying in at! Worth the hour extra drive to avoid my least favorite airport.... (Newark).. lol! :) So happy to be able to be together again <3

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/2/14- I-129F form sent
♥ 10/3/14- USCIS received I-129F
♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
4/24/15- NOA2 [6.5 months; 199 days]
♥ 5/11/15- NVC received & case number assigned
5/13/15- NVC left
5/14/15- Consulate received & ready for interview
6/15/15- Interview- APPROVED!!

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

7/14/15- Marriage (Civil)

AOS

7/20/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent together

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

8/31/15- Expedited AP document (all in one day)

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

9/30/15- Received EAD/AP combo card

11/20/15- AOS NOA2 (no interview)

11/25/15- Green card received! Woohoo!!!

"Can my fiance(e) visit on VWP while awaiting K-1 visa?"
Check out our recent experience coming through JFK on VWP here!

*Fellow Ecuamerican couples: All info you need to know--

Concise post NOA-2 steps, advice, & consulate info here!*

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

For those of you who do not come from an english speaking country and wanted to bring rental agreements/ letters from employer etc - how did you get that done? I can probably write my own letter and get my boss to sign it and print it on company paper, but how about renting agreements? How did you do it?

I did just what you said for my letter from employer. I also asked my apartment manager to write a letter confirming that I'm renting an apartment, how long the contract runs for, and how much rent is per month. She has done that for me twice now. I've never been asked for it though, so I can't say how effective it is.

I did just what you said for my letter from employer. I also asked my apartment manager to write a letter confirming that I'm renting an apartment, how long the contract runs for, and how much rent is per month. She has done that for me twice now. I've never been asked for it though, so I can't say how effective it is.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Has anyone with a Brazilian fiance(e) and an I-129F petition in progress received a tourist visa? Seems like most of the people in this thread represent English-speaking or "first-world" countries, including many that are part of the VWP.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Has anyone with a Brazilian fiance(e) and an I-129F petition in progress received a tourist visa? Seems like most of the people in this thread represent English-speaking or "first-world" countries, including many that are part of the VWP.

That pretty much means England or Canada, right? Hahah. There are several other countries represented here, though. My fiance is Ecuadorian, but our experience is a little different, since he also is Spanish and can come under the VWP. I know sometimes it's pretty difficult as is to gain a tourist visa, but especially when you're already in the process of a fiance visa. It's worth a shot, but because you're already waiting on a visa, I don't know if it works like that... Good luck, though!

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/2/14- I-129F form sent
♥ 10/3/14- USCIS received I-129F
♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
4/24/15- NOA2 [6.5 months; 199 days]
♥ 5/11/15- NVC received & case number assigned
5/13/15- NVC left
5/14/15- Consulate received & ready for interview
6/15/15- Interview- APPROVED!!

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

7/14/15- Marriage (Civil)

AOS

7/20/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent together

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

8/31/15- Expedited AP document (all in one day)

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

9/30/15- Received EAD/AP combo card

11/20/15- AOS NOA2 (no interview)

11/25/15- Green card received! Woohoo!!!

"Can my fiance(e) visit on VWP while awaiting K-1 visa?"
Check out our recent experience coming through JFK on VWP here!

*Fellow Ecuamerican couples: All info you need to know--

Concise post NOA-2 steps, advice, & consulate info here!*

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Boston also has the automated Kiosks now. It was a nice surprise that my SO made it through CBP so quickly last visit! I was expecting 2 hours and she texted me 20 minutes after landing saying she was through CBP. Luckily I was already waiting at Logan.

~

"Patience is bitter, but the fruit is sweet."

12/09/14 - I-129F Application Sent

12/11/14 - NOA1 - TSC

Just landed in Heathrow after being in Oregon since December 8th. Hope everyone else is having successful visits with their loved ones!

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hey everyone!

My fiancee from Italy is planning on coming at the end of March to spend two weeks with me. I read on this forum that it is possible for him to come but what ties to Italy should he bring in case they ask him at JFK. His POE will be JFK and I've heard that they aren't so strict at JFK. Please give me any information you guys might have.

I really appreciate it.

Thank you so much!

Kelly and Giuseppe (L)

November 22, 2014 (F) - Got Engaged in Central Park

January 22, 2015- Giuseppe returned to Italy
January 23, 2015- Sent out 129F
January 29, 2015- NOA 1 Text Message Received.
June 10, 2015 - NOA2 - Our Case was Approved!!!!
Going back to Italy to visit my love (L) - June 28, 2015
Engagement Party/ Bridal Shower in Italy - July 13, 2015

September 8, 2015 - Interview in Naples - APPROVED!

March 17, 2016 - Our Wedding!!

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

vtOaI2.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.