Penguin_ie

Trump's published Immigration policies MEGATHREAD

641 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

This thread is to discuss actual immigration policy changes by the Trump administration.  Please do NOT speculate on future policy changes, we have a separate thread pinned for that in the General Immigration Discussion.  This thread here is ONLY to discuss policies already published, and how they impact our members and their loved ones.  Feel free to post links to actual policies from reputable mainstream news sources in this thread too.

Please use ONLY this thread to discuss the Trump administration's current immigration policies, in order to keep our other forums free from such discussion and not cluttered with political talk.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

58 minutes ago, firebird00 said:

Does anyone have links for the new immigration policies/actions/reforms that is already published?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/01/25/executive-order-border-security-and-immigration-enforcement-improvements

Straight from the whitehouse.gov site. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

This one makes me think: 

detain individuals apprehended on suspicion of violating Federal or State law, including Federal immigration law, pending further proceedings regarding those violations;

(c)  expedite determinations of apprehended individuals' claims of eligibility to remain in the United States;

(d)  remove promptly those individuals whose legal claims to remain in the United States have been lawfully rejected, after any appropriate civil or criminal sanctions have been imposed; 

immigration courts are severely backed up, I know of a person who in the past 20 years skipped court twice, had a deportation order, was arrested and is still here.  Another has no claim to being in the USA and has been waiting for a court date...for 8 years.  Are they expecting that people will take voluntary departure?  Will they weed out "the good ones from the bad" or only pursue those with a record?

also detaining individuals apprehended on suspicion, does that mean police will be stopping anybody they suspect is illegal wilynilly?  Will they have that option?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

They have the option within 100 miles of the boarder itself already to stop anyone they deem suspicious and question them, even if they turn out to be a USC, the boarder control has that authority.

(d) definately caught my attention... perhaps this is a new method of bypassing the whole court thing. Perhaps they have a much further in depth method and this is just the blanket statement. I have always found it annoying that things get stuck in the court systems, and then people just use it to their own advantages and drag things out for 2-3 years, or even up to 10 years. So maybe there is more to it, and I'm all for "prompt" actions if they can do it.

Same as to the no longer having "Catch and release". I don't know why that was ever a policy anyways, so I am happy to see Trump following through immediately with what he said all along.

Pretty big one here too:

Sec. 11.  Parole, Asylum, and Removal.  It is the policy of the executive branch to end the abuse of parole and asylum provisions currently used to prevent the lawful removal of removable aliens.

(a)  The Secretary shall immediately take all appropriate action to ensure that the parole and asylum provisions of Federal immigration law are not illegally exploited to prevent the removal of otherwise removable aliens.

(b)  The Secretary shall take all appropriate action, including by promulgating any appropriate regulations, to ensure that asylum referrals and credible fear determinations pursuant to section 235(b)(1) of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1125(b)(1)) and 8 CFR 208.30, and reasonable fear determinations pursuant to 8 CFR 208.31, are conducted in a manner consistent with the plain language of those provisions.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

They have the option within 100 miles of the boarder itself already to stop anyone they deem suspicious and question them, even if they turn out to be a USC, the boarder control has that authority.

(d) definately caught my attention... perhaps this is a new method of bypassing the whole court thing. Perhaps they have a much further in depth method and this is just the blanket statement. I have always found it annoying that things get stuck in the court systems, and then people just use it to their own advantages and drag things out for 2-3 years, or even up to 10 years. So maybe there is more to it, and I'm all for "prompt" actions if they can do it.

Same as to the no longer having "Catch and release". I don't know why that was ever a policy anyways, so I am happy to see Trump following through immediately with what he said all along.

To bypass the whole court thing they'd have to change the constitution.  Even illegal immigrants are covered by the 14th. http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/immigration/255281-yes-illegal-aliens-have-constitutional-rights

Timeline

Well I can't say what they mean or how they plan to do it. Just saying they clearly do have a plan in place and we just don't know the specifics. 

Edited by Ben&Zian

02/03/2017 - Married 

Timeline
Just now, Ben&Zian said:

Well I can't say what they mean or how they plan to do it. Just saying they clearly do have a plan in place and we just don't know the specifics. 

To be honest I just enjoy playing devils advocate sometimes to cover all of the bases ?

As for a plan, I don't think that they even really have that yet.  The wording is quite vague and it's my understanding that it's not even signed yet.  It'll be interesting to see it played out.

Timeline

Do agree. A lot of it, the "fine" details, will be added/modified as time goes on; but just it even being put into place is quite a large step and something he immediately followed through with. Same again as for cutting the funding to "sanctuary" cities, putting into affect to add more boarder patrol agents. He's keeping his word at least up front about his intentions.

02/03/2017 - Married 

Timeline

I don't think that the sanctuary cities thing is going as planned.  To quote someone else here (I forget who) $7billion is peanuts to New York City.  Miami has pledged support but the whole state of Florida is considered a sanctuary state.  What happens then?

Timeline

Hard to say right? Haha. I am not overly concerned about it, nor opposed to the 'plans'.. It's one of those just wait and see how it all goes kind of things really.

02/03/2017 - Married 

The vetting measure was just signed: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/23/politics/president-trump-live-coverage/index.html

"We don't want them here," Trump said, referring to the executive action he is signing today.

"I’m establishing new vetting measure to keep radical Islamic terrorists out of the United States of America," Trump said. "We don’t want them here. We want to make sure we are not admitting into our country the very threats our soldiers are fighting overseas. 

Trump added: "We only want to admit those into our country who will support our country and love — deeply — our people."

Watch a clip of that speech:

The Lead CNN@TheLeadCNN

Pres. Trump: "We only want to admit those into our country who will support our country and love deeply our people"  http://snpy.tv/2jewGbC

Edited by Marco&Bettina

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, codon1 said:

So, I am a green card holder and I have a flight next week, My country is one of those deemed "dangerous". Should I be worried now ?!! Anyone ? 

I'm afraid so.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-order-immigrants-travel_us_588a7bd4e4b0cef5cf870a7d  - There is too much uncertainty. Even I'm considering not going to take my vacation

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
41 minutes ago, reilena said:

I'm afraid so.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-order-immigrants-travel_us_588a7bd4e4b0cef5cf870a7d  - There is too much uncertainty. Even I'm considering not going to take my vacation

Why? That article is simply an absurd attempt to frighten people. 

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.