stulumba

Confused - filing fee was waived, but I never applied for waiver?

25 posts in this topic

Hi everybody!

My husband sent out his I-751 with all the necessary documents in September. We paid the filing fee + biometrics fee and the check was cashed in a timely manner.

Soon after, we got the 1 year extension letter, as well as the biometrics appointment letter. His biometrics appointment was on Nov 3rd. He went, did everything he had to do, and everything went smoothly.

I just went to check the status online. He has 2 EAC numbers on the biometrics letter. When I check the status with the second number I get the following notice:

"My Fees Were Waived.

On October 6, 2016, we received your case and waived the filing fee for your Form CRI-89, Petition to Remove Conditions of Permanent Resident Status Received, Receipt Number EAC##########. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your receipt notice by November 5, 2016, please call Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."

I'm not really sure what this means, so I figured I'd ask if anybody else got a notice like this. I did not apply to waive any fees and my check was cashed already. I received the initial notice saying how the case will be processed, but it didn't say anything out of the ordinary, it basically just said to wait for the biometrics appointment letter, which we did and everything was fine.

I'm just confused as to what this means. From what I understand I-751 is the same as CRI-89. I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find anything. If anyone has an idea, that would be great! I'm not worried about being denied or anything like that, I just don't know if I should be concerned.

We mailed everything to the Vermont service center if that means anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I wouldn't worry too much if the check was cashed, but you could give a call to the customer service and tell them about the online status. Most likely a glitch in the system. They may never update this status but at least you'd do your part. Beyond that don't expect to hear anything back until next fall or winter since you filed at Vermont.

CRI89 represents the biometric portion of I751. I believe long time ago (before the electronic fingerprinting) they used to mail applicants a fingerprinting card (I-89) to collect their biometrics. Lazy USCIS never updated their system to eliminate the CRI89. It is what it is, all I751s have two tracking numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same case status. Filed for I-751, never filed any sort of waiver, fees are already cashed, biometrics done and my case status says:

"Fees Were Waived

On October 17, 2016, we received your case and waived the filing fee for your Form CRI-89, Petition to Remove Conditions of Permanent Resident Status Received, Receipt Number XXXX...."

If this is a glitch it's not just happening to you. Did you call the Customer Center? Wondering what they told you if you did.

Also my first EAC number on the biometrics notice does not work with the USCIS online case status but the second one does... I hope that's normal.

Hi everybody!

My husband sent out his I-751 with all the necessary documents in September. We paid the filing fee + biometrics fee and the check was cashed in a timely manner.

Soon after, we got the 1 year extension letter, as well as the biometrics appointment letter. His biometrics appointment was on Nov 3rd. He went, did everything he had to do, and everything went smoothly.

I just went to check the status online. He has 2 EAC numbers on the biometrics letter. When I check the status with the second number I get the following notice:

"My Fees Were Waived.

On October 6, 2016, we received your case and waived the filing fee for your Form CRI-89, Petition to Remove Conditions of Permanent Resident Status Received, Receipt Number EAC##########. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your receipt notice by November 5, 2016, please call Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."

I'm not really sure what this means, so I figured I'd ask if anybody else got a notice like this. I did not apply to waive any fees and my check was cashed already. I received the initial notice saying how the case will be processed, but it didn't say anything out of the ordinary, it basically just said to wait for the biometrics appointment letter, which we did and everything was fine.

I'm just confused as to what this means. From what I understand I-751 is the same as CRI-89. I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find anything. If anyone has an idea, that would be great! I'm not worried about being denied or anything like that, I just don't know if I should be concerned.

We mailed everything to the Vermont service center if that means anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Also my first EAC number on the biometrics notice does not work with the USCIS online case status but the second one does... I hope that's normal.

Yes, that's normal, from what I understand.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Did anyone call to see what they had to say about the wrong message appearing on your Case Status?

F-1 Visa: Academic years 2007/2010.

K-1 Visa: I-129F sent Aug 2013; Approved Jan 2014.

Green Card: AOS sent Feb 2014; Approved Jan 2015.

Removal of Conditions: I-751 sent Nov 2016; Approved Apr 2018.

US Citizenship: Application sent Nov 2017; Fingerprints Nov 2017; Civics/English exam March 2018; Oath May 2018.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

OK, awesome!

F-1 Visa: Academic years 2007/2010.

K-1 Visa: I-129F sent Aug 2013; Approved Jan 2014.

Green Card: AOS sent Feb 2014; Approved Jan 2015.

Removal of Conditions: I-751 sent Nov 2016; Approved Apr 2018.

US Citizenship: Application sent Nov 2017; Fingerprints Nov 2017; Civics/English exam March 2018; Oath May 2018.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had the same thing appear on my case status as well!! PHEW!! haha :)

K1 Visa
08/15/14 - Filed
08/25/14 - Acceptance email sent
08/26/14 - Alien Registration Number changed.
10/17/14 RFE was received
10/23/14 RFE/I-195F mailed back to USCIS
11/05/14 I-129F Petition Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!
12/10/14 U.S. Consulate received case in the mail!!
12/19/14 Submitted DS-160 online form.
01/15/15 Submitted Package 3 Checklist for a request for interview!
01/16/15 Consulate sent me packet to prepare for my interview/medical!
02/20/15 Physical
02/24/15 Visa Interview/APPROVED!!!!!!! (6 months!!)

AOS

05/16/15 - Filed for Adjustment of Status and Work Permit

05/22/15 - Acceptance email sent along with NOA’s mailed.

06/16/15 Biometrics Appointment
1/22/2016: INTERVIEW!!/APPROVED!!!
2/2016: Received GREEN CARD!!! (8 months)

I-751 - ROC

11/1/2016: Filed

11/3/2016: NOA

11/19/2016: NOA 2

12/06/2016 Biometrics Appointment

1/17/2018: Info Pass - Passport Stamped

5/31/2018: Emailed received that GC is being mailed. 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Just checked our status online and it is the same that has been stated here. Check has already been cashed so obviously no waiver here. Perhaps it has something to do with the upcoming fee changes.

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Naples, Italy

Marriage : 2014-02-14

U S C I S

I-130 Sent : 2014-02-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-02-28

I-130 RFE : 2014-07-05

I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-07-07

I-130 Approved : 2014-07-16 :thumbs:

N V C

NVC Received : 2014-07-28

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-08-11

Pay AOS Bill : 2014-08-13

Send AOS Package : 2014-08-14

Scan AOS Package : 2014-08-18

Submit DS-261 : 2014-08-12

Receive IV Bill : 2014-09-11

Pay IV Bill : 2014-09-12

Send IV Package : 2014-09-09

Scan IV Package : 2014-09-10

DS-260 COMPLETE : 2014-09-15

Case Completed at NVC : 2014-10-17 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Interview Date Via Phone call to NVC: 2014-12-02

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : 2014-11-03

Visa Approved: 2014-12-02

• 2 weeks later...

There is another forum on the same topic where multiple people encountered the same, including me. I called Tier 2 as well, and he basically said he couldn't tell me anything besides everything's good and it won't affect my case. You would think a department like that is pretty much on top of everything, except they are not. 

• 4 weeks later...

hello , i just went this morning to get my fingerprint etc and once i got back home i did just the same and check my statue. One receipt number, the first one does come as an error. the second receipt number does give this fee waiver message. i also was wandering about the one year extension? but after reading all the above i realize its pretty much computerize answer to everyone. 

Does any body know how long after mailing the I- 751 green card condition removal forms and requested paperwork, do the USCIS set the finale interview? thank you all and since January end tomorrow , happy new year.:jest: 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, CLAUDIUS OF PARIS said:

hello , i just went this morning to get my fingerprint etc and once i got back home i did just the same and check my statue. One receipt number, the first one does come as an error. the second receipt number does give this fee waiver message. i also was wandering about the one year extension? but after reading all the above i realize its pretty much computerize answer to everyone. 

Does any body know how long after mailing the I- 751 green card condition removal forms and requested paperwork, do the USCIS set the finale interview? thank you all and since January end tomorrow , happy new year.:jest: 

Yes apparently it's standard...I'm not sure how long for interview  but if you google it should say it, An officer told me in the phone it takes 9-12 months to get approved...Some people get approved sooner..Sometimes if you already had an interview for the AOS you WILL NOT be required for an interview of the removal of conditions...they do randomly pick a small percentage of applicants to interview

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me since this topic seems to be about one year old... Anyways so I'm also getting that message after checking my case status. I send my second package on dec 6 then received a biometric appointment for Jan 5. Today is May 31 and still haven't hear anything from immigration nor my case status has changed...  Can anyone that has completed the process tell me how long did it take to hear back from immigration after the biometric appointment, and if the online case status ever changed from "filing fees were waived" to something else...? Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.