12 posts in this topic

my wife and I just sent off the I130s back in july 2015 and didn't file the I485 should we still file them now or wait on the I130s ? we have been married 3 years and she has adopted my 4 kids there birth mom passed away... after filing the I130s we have not had any news at all apart from a txt saying they received the forms that's it.... thanks

oh yea we had another addition to the growing family in 2014 Feb. 12th we had a bouncing baby girl :) that makes 5 my own kids and 2 step children. im worried about the hardship forms if my wife cannot support us with her work etc what do we do as we have such a BIG family ! ive been with her 3 years and not asked for a penny lol...

Edited by crow4077

How did you arrive in the country? Or are you not there yet?

If you arrived on the VWP and are adjusting status you should have filed both the I-130 and the I-485 together to get the process going.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Is you are in the USA, you were supposed to file the two things together, as well as work and travel permit (EAD and AP)

If you are outside the USA, it takes about a year from filing to interview.

Did you get anything so far? Like NOA1, saying they got your file and a case number so you can look it up online?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

oh :( So what do we do now? I came into the USA on a VWP to find out that in 2007 I over stayed by 2 weeks because of my previous wife was unwell with baby at that time so we had no choice to say and I was paroled there in the US to stay. I married my wife who's from the south in 2013 march so it will be soon 3 years married! she's adopted my 4 kids also Should we now files the I485s? WE moved to Washington and status says received i130 in Dec 11 2015! does the paperwork get pushed back to the start again because we moved ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from What Visa to AOS from Tourism Visa for more specific answers *****

Moving should not affect the case, unless you didn't tell them you moved, in which case, mail may have gotten lost.

Because you didn't file everything needed, it is possible they think you are currently abroad, and that is why you heard nothing yet. TBH, we don't get many cases like yours.... what I would suggest is that you make an infopass appointment at your nearest USCIS office and see if they can find out what is best to do, and bring a filled in 485, I-864 etc with you.

BTW, here is what papers you were supposed to file and how the process goes: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Your wife is a US citizen, right?

Have you gotten the I-130 receipt yet? You should file I-485 now along with the I-130 receipt.

The I-130 and I-485 don't have to be filed together. But, there's no benefit to filing the I-130 before the I-485, since they can be filed concurrently. Since they can be filed concurrently, I-485 can also be filed while I-130 is pending, so that's what you should do.

Edited by newacct

***** Moving from What Visa to AOS from Tourism Visa for more specific answers *****

Moving should not affect the case, unless you didn't tell them you moved, in which case, mail may have gotten lost.

Because you didn't file everything needed, it is possible they think you are currently abroad, and that is why you heard nothing yet. TBH, we don't get many cases like yours.... what I would suggest is that you make an infopass appointment at your nearest USCIS office and see if they can find out what is best to do, and bring a filled in 485, I-864 etc with you.

BTW, here is what papers you were supposed to file and how the process goes: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

thanks for the info

Edited by crow4077

A family of nine with 5 needing AOS. That's a lot of money.

And on one wage!

I take my hat off to the OP's wife - keeping a family of 9 on one wage can't be easy. That's hard work.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Your wife. You are the OP here (original poster).

I was saying that I take my hat off to your wife raising a family of 9 on one wage.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.