Luxylux

interview scheduled but still no work permit

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

(disclaimer: this post is half venting because I am REALLY frustrated/half trying to get other people's experience)

So we sent the whole package for our AOS back in March and received last week or so a notice telling us that our interview has been scheduled for June 29. I was really surprised because I thought it would take way longer before the interview... but also because I thought I would get my work permit before.

I contacted USCIS to ask them about my work permit as it had been 77 days and received an email saying: "Recently you contacted us about the status of your case. Your case is currently under review. You should receive a decision or notice of other action shortly." and I know they are supposed to reply within 3 months which, in our case, would mean June 24 - FIVE days before our interview.

So I know that you must think that I should just wait for the interview and not worry about the work permit but I am really frustrated as I had a job proposition recently and couldn't do anything about it... and also I missed the window to get my social security number after arriving in the country so I haven't been able to get one since, or health insurance, or my driving license (I live in LA, so that's a big one)

I'm also worried that it could be a bad sign?

Anyway, if anyone has had a similar experience recently I would love to hear it.

Thank you so much,

Lucie

Edited by Luxylux

Fiancé visa:

US Entry : 2014-12-23

Marriage : 2015-03-01

AOS:

Date Filed : 2015-03-19

NOA Date : 2015-04-02

Bio. Appt. : 2015-05-07

Interview Date : 2015-06-29

Not sure if it's worth it now, but you can apply to have your EAD expedited based on a job offer. Seems to have been successful for a number of people.

That's a pretty quick interview turnaround. I don't think it means anything bad at all...or anything, really, except that your field office has it together!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Separate divisions within USCIS process the I-131 and I-765 applications from the I-485, so they have almost nothing to do with each other other than you must have filed an I-485 to file the others. I received my EAD literally the day before my first interview; that was just how it all shook out.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

(disclaimer: this post is half venting because I am REALLY frustrated/half trying to get other people's experience)

So we sent the whole package for our AOS back in March and received last week or so a notice telling us that our interview has been scheduled for June 29. I was really surprised because I thought it would take way longer before the interview... but also because I thought I would get my work permit before.

I contacted USCIS to ask them about my work permit as it had been 77 days and received an email saying: "Recently you contacted us about the status of your case. Your case is currently under review. You should receive a decision or notice of other action shortly." and I know they are supposed to reply within 3 months which, in our case, would mean June 24 - FIVE days before our interview.

So I know that you must think that I should just wait for the interview and not worry about the work permit but I am really frustrated as I had a job proposition recently and couldn't do anything about it... and also I missed the window to get my social security number after arriving in the country so I haven't been able to get one since, or health insurance, or my driving license (I live in LA, so that's a big one)

I'm also worried that it could be a bad sign?

Anyway, if anyone has had a similar experience recently I would love to hear it.

Thank you so much,

Lucie

It's nothing bad at all, it's not that the permit took a long time, your interview date is just super fast. As the other poster said, if you can get a valid job offer you can apply for the expedite, now it's so close not sure if it's worth it or would be done in time.

Timeline

Not sure if it's worth it now, but you can apply to have your EAD expedited based on a job offer. Seems to have been successful for a number of people.

That's a pretty quick interview turnaround. I don't think it means anything bad at all...or anything, really, except that your field office has it together!

Separate divisions within USCIS process the I-131 and I-765 applications from the I-485, so they have almost nothing to do with each other other than you must have filed an I-485 to file the others. I received my EAD literally the day before my first interview; that was just how it all shook out.

It's nothing bad at all, it's not that the permit took a long time, your interview date is just super fast. As the other poster said, if you can get a valid job offer you can apply for the expedite, now it's so close not sure if it's worth it or would be done in time.

Thank you so much guys! I know there's not really anything I can do but wait... but sometimes it's just really helpful and reassuring to read other people's experience! So thank you, I really appreciate it.

And as for the expedite, our interview is in less than 10 days so I think I might as well wait... and I'm also not sure the job offer is still standing, I think they went for an american candidate after I explained my situation... oh well, onwards and upwards as they say!

Thank you!!!!

Fiancé visa:

AOS:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

We are on a very similar time frame - we submitted our AOS paperwork a few days after you (March 27) and got a NOA date of 10 April. Somehow we got the apptment for biometrics before you - on May 1. But since the biometric apptmnt, it has been completely silent. Not a word from immigration. Very frustrating for us. I think it is very encouraging that you got an interview scheduled. I wish we could get an interview! Good luck and you are on your way!

08/14/14 Mailed I-129F

08/25/14 Email notification of NOA1 received; check cashed.

08/29/14 Received hard-copy NOA1 with notice date of August 22

10/15/14 Checked my case status on-line and was told that my approval was mailed out on Oct 15!

11/03/14 NVC received my case from USCIS (unsure of this date)

11/07/14 NVC assigned a case #, an invoice # and Beneficiary ID (unsure of exact date)

11/10/14 Package was sent to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico consulate (this date is known)

11/25/14 Received Package 3 (a letter) from Consulate dated Nov 19, 2014.

01/29/15 Interview in Ciudad Juarez - approved!!!

02/26/15 Entry into the US in San Ysidro by land

03/16/15 Marriage in San Diego

03/27/15 Filed applications for Adjustment of Status with Chicago lockbox

04/06/15 Received electronic notification that case was received

04/17/15 Received notification of biometrics apptmnt on May 1, 2015.

05/01/15 Biometrics taken

06/20/15 Received Authorization to Work / Advance Parole card

06/28/15 Status updated "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview"

09/22/15 Interview in Chula Vista, CA and received verbal approval.

06/27/17 I-751 package sent

07/05/17 NOA-1 received

08/25/18 Received Courtesy copy of 18 month extension letter

10/16/18 Notified that green card is being produced.

Service Center: CSC
First 5 Digits from WAC/EAC Receipt #: WAC1727700XXX
NOA1 Date: July 5, 2017
Filed N-400?: No
Case Transferred?:  "Case Was Received at My Local Office" - Feb. 26

If yes, provide to what service center? On what date?:  N/A

Approved?:  Yes

If yes, what was the date of your approval?:   10/16/2018

If yes, did you have a RFE (Request for Evidence)? On what date?:    No

If yes, did you have an interview? On what date?:

Timeline

We are on a very similar time frame - we submitted our AOS paperwork a few days after you (March 27) and got a NOA date of 10 April. Somehow we got the apptment for biometrics before you - on May 1. But since the biometric apptmnt, it has been completely silent. Not a word from immigration. Very frustrating for us. I think it is very encouraging that you got an interview scheduled. I wish we could get an interview! Good luck and you are on your way!

Thank you so much!! I know it's a bit silly of me to complain when we are in the lucky position of already knowing our interview date... I hope that you'll hear very soon! You can contact USCIS by the way re your work permit and advanced parole as it states on their website that you can do so after 75 days. Wasn't super helpful in my case but you never know!!

Good luck!!

Fiancé visa:

AOS:

Timeline

To everyone: I just received my notice of approval in the mail!! For some reason the status still hasn't been updated online but I'm so happy!! Thank you guys

Fiancé visa:

AOS:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Fam.-based AOS Progress Forum~

~Inquiry about case status~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Congratulations to you both, Luxylux! So does this mean that you do not need to go in for your interview? It was scheduled for later this, week, no? That would be so awesome for us not because of any issue the the interview itself. It would just make planning the next few weeks so much easier. We are in escrow to sell our townhouse. Getting the new one will be much easier if we are not juggling house stuff and AOS documentation at the same time. Anyway, congrats to you both!

08/14/14 Mailed I-129F

08/25/14 Email notification of NOA1 received; check cashed.

08/29/14 Received hard-copy NOA1 with notice date of August 22

10/15/14 Checked my case status on-line and was told that my approval was mailed out on Oct 15!

11/03/14 NVC received my case from USCIS (unsure of this date)

11/07/14 NVC assigned a case #, an invoice # and Beneficiary ID (unsure of exact date)

11/10/14 Package was sent to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico consulate (this date is known)

11/25/14 Received Package 3 (a letter) from Consulate dated Nov 19, 2014.

01/29/15 Interview in Ciudad Juarez - approved!!!

02/26/15 Entry into the US in San Ysidro by land

03/16/15 Marriage in San Diego

03/27/15 Filed applications for Adjustment of Status with Chicago lockbox

04/06/15 Received electronic notification that case was received

04/17/15 Received notification of biometrics apptmnt on May 1, 2015.

05/01/15 Biometrics taken

06/20/15 Received Authorization to Work / Advance Parole card

06/28/15 Status updated "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview"

09/22/15 Interview in Chula Vista, CA and received verbal approval.

06/27/17 I-751 package sent

07/05/17 NOA-1 received

08/25/18 Received Courtesy copy of 18 month extension letter

10/16/18 Notified that green card is being produced.

Service Center: CSC
First 5 Digits from WAC/EAC Receipt #: WAC1727700XXX
NOA1 Date: July 5, 2017
Filed N-400?: No
Case Transferred?:  "Case Was Received at My Local Office" - Feb. 26

If yes, provide to what service center? On what date?:  N/A

Approved?:  Yes

If yes, what was the date of your approval?:   10/16/2018

If yes, did you have a RFE (Request for Evidence)? On what date?:    No

If yes, did you have an interview? On what date?:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.