jmana

Tax ID number for K-1 child

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm in a bit of a situation here. I've been married since April of last year, and my wife was able to get a SS number, but they wouldn't issue one to my Stepdaughter because they said she needed a work permit first. I explained to them she's 5, they said they didn't care. I needed the SS number so I can file my taxes, so I thought it might be easier to get a tax ID number. Not the case. I filled out the W-7 form, printed out my tax return as-is without her info on it, and went in to the IRS building. Even though I was the first person in the building, they said they "didn't have time" to process the paperwork. I told them I just need them to certify her passport, and that I would send it in, but no go. Still said they are understaffed and don't have time. He recommeded me to another IRS building an hour away, but was told the same exact thing. There are Acceptance Agents that will take W-7 forms, but not for minors. They keep telling me I can send the paperwork, along with her passport, to the IRS. There is no way in hell I'm sending her only form of ID to the IRS!! Especially since she will be visiting Russia in a couple weeks. I tried calling the IRS to find out my options, and after being on hold for over an hour, I was told my only option is the Federal IRS buildings unless I want to send it. She said I could also get a "certified copy" from the Embassy, and she gave me the number, but when I called it just rang for about 2 minutes before I was disconnected. Anyone else go through all this BS? It would be nice if the Adjustment of Status would go through, but after several months of waiting it seems like they are in no hurry to process that.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about K2 SSN, past K1~

(mod hat off)

I would daresay that you may likely have better luck with USCIS than with the IRS, especially after reading about your recent experience with the IRS>

It doesn't matter what age the K2 child is, for them to obtain a SSN they have to either have their EAD or 2-year conditional GC. It sounds like you have already filed for the K2 AOS. You can still fill out Form I-765 (EAD), include a copy of the K2's I-485 (AOS) NOA1 receipt with the EAD application (there is no fee if filed in this manner): http://www.uscis.gov/i-485 . EADs are currently taking 60-90 days to be processed. Here is a recent thread from the SSN forum speaking about the K2 SSN process: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/540709-social-security-number-k1-k2-visa/

Don't know if it would work (nothing ventured, nothing gained), but you could attempt to get the K2 EAD expedited, here is the USCIS expedite criteria: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/540709-social-security-number-k1-k2-visa/

Good luck on your immigration journey.

(If you feel that this isn't the correct forum for your inquiry, I can move it to the Tax and Finance During US Immigration Forum.)

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.