TxMtrey

Unemployed before AOS Interview

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are in the process of waiting for her GC (August 2014 filers) and have ran into a problem.

To simplify the story, we requested an interview to hopefully speed up the process (a strategy the Immigration office suggested) because Texas Service Center is currently processing AOS cases from February 2014. It sounded all great, so we agreed to request the interview. After getting home, we really thought about our decision and now have realized that this will require us to prove our income again.

Currently, my wife (immigrant) and myself are unemployed. I voluntarily quit my job to relocate with my wife to South Carolina from Texas for better job opportunities. We are living off savings, which is not a struggle for us but savings will not be used to justify we are over the poverty limit. It has been more of a struggle to get employment than we realized. Her having a Masters degree and my Bachelors, we thought it would not be a big struggle.

So, with that being all said, what are our options? We potentially will have an interview in the next 2 months, both unemployed, and my parents (potential co-sponsors who make plenty to sponsor), have not filed their 2013 tax returns (due to their business partners who have taken way to long to get their financial details to them). I really feel like we have hit a brick wall. We have been so on top of every aspect of her immigration, and now we have just made a silly mistake. I am looking for a temporary job as we speak to gain employment and an income.

Do any of you have an idea what we could do or what to expect? Would rescheduling a requested interview be an option? Should we find another co-sponsor? My parents plan on filing their 2013 & 2014 tax returns together before Apr 15 this year, would their be enough time for them to get the tax transcripts before the interview for them to be co-sponsors?

PLEASE HELP! Thanks VJers!

I'm a tad confused, its says on your post married Feb 13th 2015, but filed for AOS in August 2014? The texas service centre doesn't normally process AOS, but then again not sure what visa you came here on? Can you please clarify.

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are in the process of waiting for her GC (August 2014 filers) and have ran into a problem.

To simplify the story, we requested an interview to hopefully speed up the process (a strategy the Immigration office suggested) because Texas Service Center is currently processing AOS cases from February 2014. It sounded all great, so we agreed to request the interview. After getting home, we really thought about our decision and now have realized that this will require us to prove our income again.

Currently, my wife (immigrant) and myself are unemployed. I voluntarily quit my job to relocate with my wife to South Carolina from Texas for better job opportunities. We are living off savings, which is not a struggle for us but savings will not be used to justify we are over the poverty limit. It has been more of a struggle to get employment than we realized. Her having a Masters degree and my Bachelors, we thought it would not be a big struggle.

So, with that being all said, what are our options? We potentially will have an interview in the next 2 months, both unemployed, and my parents (potential co-sponsors who make plenty to sponsor), have not filed their 2013 tax returns (due to their business partners who have taken way to long to get their financial details to them). I really feel like we have hit a brick wall. We have been so on top of every aspect of her immigration, and now we have just made a silly mistake. I am looking for a temporary job as we speak to gain employment and an income.

Do any of you have an idea what we could do or what to expect? Would rescheduling a requested interview be an option? Should we find another co-sponsor? My parents plan on filing their 2013 & 2014 tax returns together before Apr 15 this year, would their be enough time for them to get the tax transcripts before the interview for them to be co-sponsors?

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

We joined VJ in February 2015.

We were married August 8, 2014. AOS was filed August 12, 2014.

Fiance came in on a K1 Visa. Our case is at the National Benefits Center currently.

We talked to an immigration office yesterday at a field office and she stated that Texas processes all green cards (her words).

We joined VJ in February 2015.

We were married August 8, 2014. AOS was filed August 12, 2014.

Fiance came in on a K1 Visa. Our case is at the National Benefits Center currently.

We talked to an immigration office yesterday at a field office and she stated that Texas processes all green cards (her words).

You need to join our thread, that is not true. They actually go out to field offices, not local ones always whoever is the least busiest. Did you happen to get a Potential Interview Waiver letter? I field in August for AOS, came in on a K1 too and if you get that letter then you as far as I know are not entitled to request an interview! http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/541029-unemployed-before-aos-interview/?p=7526726

Ah I see its not the Texas service centre you live in Dallas or nearby. Well just because thats your field office it isnt necessarily the office your case will be processed at, its dependent on work load, could end up at an office in California. Also, there have people on our thread for around a year, who have done service requests, info passes, got the ombudsman on to their cases, unfortunately if they could have had an interview they would have requested one and they haven't. I am interested to see how you get on when you do request an interview though. Did the lady at the USCIS tell you how to go about this?

We too are August filers. Did you get an interview waiver letter? There's a LONG thread about this very issue. If it were as easy as requesting an interview, we'd all do it. :-/ As for proving your income, I know there's a formula used for assets to be used instead of an actual job. I don't know much more than that though. :(

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

The Texas Service Center will not handle your AOS case. It will be sent to your local USCIS office for interview, if they grant you one. The USCIS hotline is known as the misinformation hotline. They tend to give out wrong info a lot, especially if you are speaking to the call center employees that answer the phones.

If your parents file taxes before your interview, then you can use them. They do not have to wait for an IRS transcript. They can use a complete copy of their most recent return with all forms, attachments, schedules, W-2s and/or 1099s. One can fill out an I-864 and the other an I-864A. You can take along a new updated I-864 for yourself as well, along with any new employment/income documentation.

They do not always ask for new sponsorship info when you interview, so it is possible for them to accept the I-864 you sent in to begin with. Just take the updated forms and supporting evidence just in case they do request it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.