J_d_Petitioner

Booking One-Way Flight From Manila

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will never fly US domestic carriers for international flights. Service and comfort doesn't compare to like a Korean Air, Emirates, JAL etc... I booked one way for $830 Emirates Manila to Washington DC 1.5 months out. Also keep in mind those travel sites have margin that they pass on to you the customer. At least for me I find it cheaper to book direct through the carriers, they also have sweet deals at times too.

10/25: Mailed my I-129F using USPS Express to Texas Lockbox

10/27: NOA 1 notification from USCIS

10/30: NOA 1 Hard copy received in the mail

12/15: NOA 2 Email/Text (49 Days)

12/17: USCIS Sent case to NVC

12/29: NVC Received Case

12/30: MNL# Assigned

1/6: USEM Received Case "Ready"

1/29: Interview :dancing: (APPROVED)

Last time I flew back from the Philippines was the worse for me. I flew on EVA airlines I flew from Manila to Taiwan then to LA then to Denver. the Flight from Taiwan to La I was on a miss kitty plane. The plane was decorated every way possible with miss kitty stuff (Hahahaa) even the airport in Taiwan is all miss kitty stores mainly. Then the flight was late to LA and I miss my connecting flight of course EVA airlines book me a hotel room for the night and I caught a later flight the next day. If Had know I would of been riding on a miss kitty plane I would not had book it. I guess it is ok If you have kids, they will love it, but for a guy traveling alone not so much

Edited by j&ana

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

You should look at a booking site like travelocity. kayak, expedia, etc... I haven't had any issues booking flights that way and you should also check the rates for round trip vs one way, not always cheaper but can be sometimes.

Good idea! Idk why I haven't thought of that. Probably because I've been using Google Flights and they used to show results from those site but I just noticed now that they are only using carriers price, for some reason. No wonder why prices seemed to be higher in Google Flights. :bonk:

I booked my mom's flight Manila-Tampa,Fl through CheapOAir. The cheapest I could find for one way flight($710). Japan airline and American airline code share the flight. So she will fly Japan air from Manila- Chicago(POE) then American air to Tampa,Fl on Feb.18th.

Yaay! She is finally coming! Glad to hear that.

I booked a one-way ticket from Manila to NYC JFK through Beijing, China, for 550 bucks about 3 weeks in advance, using Expedia.com. Online is always cheaper.

I thought so too. Google Flights threw me off. (see comment above)

Thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate all the suggestions and opinions!

:idea:PERSONAL IR-5 GUIDE :idea:WIKI - NVC Process

IR-5 For Both Parents
2014-04-10 │ mailed Petition to Phoenix Lockbox via USPS
2014-04-14NOA1 Date
2014-05-09 │ Approved (19 Business Days)
2014-05-09 │ Case Sent to NVC
2014-06-20 │ Received Case # & IIN via Phonecall

2014-06-30 │ DS261 available

2014-07-01 │ AOS Bill recevied and pai

2014-07-07 │ AOS package delivered

2014-08-14 │ DS260 Bill and paid

2014-08-18 │ Civil Documents delivered

2014-08-26 │ AOS checklist received

2014-08-28 │ AOS checklist delivered

2014-10-15 │ CASE COMPLETE

2014-11-10 │ Forwarded to Embassy

2014-11-13 │ Received by Embassy

2014-11-18 │ Medical Exam-Sputum Required

2015-02-18 │ INTERVIEW - Passed (Issued)

2015-02-24 │ Visa in Hand

2015-02-27 │ POE - Dallas

If you're flying East Coast, particularly NYC, I personally recommend Cathay Pacific.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will never fly US domestic carriers for international flights. Service and comfort doesn't compare to like a Korean Air, Emirates, JAL etc... I booked one way for $830 Emirates Manila to Washington DC 1.5 months out. Also keep in mind those travel sites have margin that they pass on to you the customer. At least for me I find it cheaper to book direct through the carriers, they also have sweet deals at times too.

I agree with you on the international Carries, Food and service is much better and they flight crew are more service oriented, Sadly I have almost zero choice on international carrier from Dallas to Manila. I do enjoy landing in Japan and getting a international crew on Delta fight, they are much more friendly and service oriented than the 250lb female flight attendants I have serving me.....

Timeline

We are on a layover in Japan now flying with JAL one way tickets. We booked through Orbitz and that worked great and $780 each to Chicago. We had two big suitcases and there was no charge. The layover is 15 hours at Narita. JAL operates their own hotel close to the airport, called Nikko. The room is free with the layover and the hotel shuttle is free from the airport. The airline automatically reserved the room for us.

Immigration Counter A at Narita Airport gives the overnight "shore pass" easy. My fiancée finished that in 5 minutes with passport and boarding pass. Also there are two forms the airline hands out that need to be completed by everyone going out of the airport. One is for immigration and one is for customs ... easy.

Timeline

We are on a layover in Japan now flying with JAL one way tickets. We booked through Orbitz and that worked great and $780 each to Chicago. We had two big suitcases and there was no charge. The layover is 15 hours at Narita. JAL operates their own hotel close to the airport, called Nikko. The room is free with the layover and the hotel shuttle is free from the airport. The airline automatically reserved the room for us.

Immigration Counter A at Narita Airport gives the overnight "shore pass" easy. My fiancée finished that in 5 minutes with passport and boarding pass. Also there are two forms the airline hands out that need to be completed by everyone going out of the airport. One is for immigration and one is for customs ... easy.

Wow that is a sweet deal..plus I love Japanese food. I supposed you weren't allowed to leave hotel Nikko in between the layover?

Timeline

Wow that is a sweet deal..plus I love Japanese food. I supposed you weren't allowed to leave hotel Nikko in between the layover?

We're free to go wherever we want tonight. There are a couple restaurants in the hotel and a coffee shop.

Where are you flying into the USA too? When I brought my asawa to the USA we used Delta and it was just ok, and I booked on Expedia. Delta has a alot of flights to and from the Philippines now, but you will stop in Japan and probably Detroit as well. Flying back this year with our 18 month old we are taking Philippine Airlines round trip from LAX to MNL.

Edited by cyberfx1024

Timeline

We're free to go wherever we want tonight. There are a couple restaurants in the hotel and a coffee shop.

That's awesome...hope you guys have a wonderful evening.

Timeline

I just booked one way for my wife on Travelocity. I know that part of the issue is the travel tax that must be paid in the Philippines. I believe it is 1620php.

I got 1 free bag with my ticket, plus carry on.

If someone knows just where to pay the travel tax, though, it would be helpful so I can let my wife know where to go in the terminal to do so.

We paid the terminal tax of 1620 php today in terminal 1. It took about 10 minutes. It's located right inside the main entrance of terminal 1. I suspect terminals 2 and 3 are similar.

Someone there at NAIA put the little circle stamp on our boarding passes today, so neither of us paid the 550 terminal fees. The lady usher just before the terminal fee booths told us to take a side route and go straight to immigration. So we did and all went well.

Timeline

Nice!

The flights I'm looking at are connecting through NRT as well with JAL and AA. And I saw the 15-20 hour layover. I didn't know you can stay at their hotel for Free.

This is very helpful! Since I could get a flight with one-stop in NRT, then NRT-DFW which is great since it will just be a 3-hour drive for me.

It's their first time flying out of the country and speak very little English. So I'm trying to get the least layover.

Thanks!

Where are you flying into the USA too? When my brought my asawa to the USA we used Delta and it was just ok, and I booked on Expedia. Delta has a alot of flights to and from the Philippines now, but you will stop in Japan and probably Detroit as well. Flying back this year with our 18 month old we are taking Philippine Airlines round trip from LAX to MNL.

To Austin, but I won't mind driving to Dallas or Houston, cos I know they have direct Asian flghts.

I saw Delta but it's more expensive to fly with them going to Austin or nearby airport.

Looks like JAL-AA is our best bet. And I found out that I can book it through Online travel websites such as CheapOAir. I knew about them before but I got too reliable with Google Flights search and they used to show results for such websites but not anymore and I just realized that yesterday.

Thanks again for the ideas!!

IR-5 For Both Parents
2014-04-14NOA1 Date

Timeline

Looks like JAL-AA is our best bet. And I found out that I can book it through Online travel websites such as CheapOAir. I knew about them before but I got too reliable with Google Flights search and they used to show results for such websites but not anymore and I just realized that yesterday.

Thanks again for the ideas!!

I tried cheapoair, but it was not an almost instant confirmation like Orbitz and others. In fact, 4 hours passed and no confirmation email. So i called cheapoair and told them to not buy the ticket, so they cancelled it before buying the tickets. Then I booked through Orbitz and got the confirmation email pronto. Edited by luckytwo15

Timeline

I tried cheapoair, but it was not an almost instant confirmation like Orbitz and others. In fact, 4 hours passed and no confirmation email. So i called cheapoair and told them to not buy the ticket, so they cancelled it before buying the tickets. Then I booked through Orbitz and got the confirmation email pronto.

Noted!

I haven't booked through CheapOAir before but I did with Orbitz and they're pretty good. Recently I've been booking directly with the carrier.

IR-5 For Both Parents
2014-04-14NOA1 Date

Yeah I have never gone through CheapOAir before. I usually use Expedia or Cheapflights for my travels both domestic and abroad, that way my card does not get flagged if I go through a International carrier's site. Which it does happen. I think DFW is one of AA's hubs so that's why it's so cheap to fly out of there. I would if I were you fly in to and out of DFW and have your asawa pick you up to drive to Austin. It can help you see more of the landscape, my asawa could not believe how big America actually is until we drove cross country from NC-California, 2 weeks after she got here.

Edited by cyberfx1024

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.