hj630

Will RFE for I485 halt i765 decision?

7 posts in this topic

Yes, most likely.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

8 CFR 103.2(b)(10)

(i) Effect on processing. The priority date of a properly filed petition shall not be affected by a request for missing initial evidence or request for other evidence. If a benefit request is missing required initial evidence, or an applicant, petitioner, sponsor, beneficiary, or other individual who requires fingerprinting requests that the fingerprinting appointment or interview be rescheduled, any time period imposed on USCIS processing will start over from the date of receipt of the required initial evidence or request for fingerprint or interview rescheduling. If USCIS requests that the applicant or petitioner submit additional evidence or respond to other than a request for initial evidence, any time limitation imposed on USCIS for processing will be suspended as of the date of request. It will resume at the same point where it stopped when USCIS receives the requested evidence or response, or a request for a decision based on the evidence.
(ii) Effect on interim benefits. Interim benefits will not be granted based on an benefit request held in suspense for the submission of requested initial evidence, except that the applicant or beneficiary will normally be allowed to remain while an benefit request to extend or obtain status while in the United States is pending. The USCIS may choose to pursue other actions to seek removal of a person notwithstanding the pending application. Employment authorization previously accorded based on the same status and employment as that requested in the current benefit request may continue uninterrupted as provided in 8 CFR 274a.12(b)(20) during the suspense period.
So if your RFE is for initial evidence then the 90 day period for any interim benefits (EAD, AP) begins over from 0 once they receive your RFE response. If it's something unrelated to the initial evidence then the 90 day period is merely suspended for the duration of the RFE, and begins where it left off once USCIS receive your RFE response.
Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

8 CFR 103.2(b)(10)

(i) Effect on processing. The priority date of a properly filed petition shall not be affected by a request for missing initial evidence or request for other evidence. If a benefit request is missing required initial evidence, or an applicant, petitioner, sponsor, beneficiary, or other individual who requires fingerprinting requests that the fingerprinting appointment or interview be rescheduled, any time period imposed on USCIS processing will start over from the date of receipt of the required initial evidence or request for fingerprint or interview rescheduling. If USCIS requests that the applicant or petitioner submit additional evidence or respond to other than a request for initial evidence, any time limitation imposed on USCIS for processing will be suspended as of the date of request. It will resume at the same point where it stopped when USCIS receives the requested evidence or response, or a request for a decision based on the evidence.
(ii) Effect on interim benefits. Interim benefits will not be granted based on an benefit request held in suspense for the submission of requested initial evidence, except that the applicant or beneficiary will normally be allowed to remain while an benefit request to extend or obtain status while in the United States is pending. The USCIS may choose to pursue other actions to seek removal of a person notwithstanding the pending application. Employment authorization previously accorded based on the same status and employment as that requested in the current benefit request may continue uninterrupted as provided in 8 CFR 274a.12(b)(20) during the suspense period.
So if your RFE is for initial evidence then the 90 day period for any interim benefits (EAD, AP) begins over from 0 once they receive your RFE response. If it's something unrelated to the initial evidence then the 90 day period is merely suspended for the duration of the RFE, and begins where it left off once USCIS receive your RFE response.

I have ready what you found repeatedly and to me I do not read this to be that clock will start over

Found this on the USCIS site that states I-765 processing in the event of and RFE/RFIE for either the EAD/AP application itself or with the application that would provide the benefit. In my case the I-485. Am I reading it wrong?

https://www.uscis.go...ng-more-75-days

Tip Sheet: Employment Authorization Applications Pending More than 75 Days

If your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, has been pending more than 75 days, you may contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 and ask that an Approaching Regulatory Timeframe “service request” be created. The NCSC will route the service request to the appropriate office for review. Please have your receipt number ready when contacting the NCSC.

To determine whether your case has been pending more than 75 days, you must consider the following:

• If USCIS issues a request for initial evidence, the 90-day regulatory timeframe will start over from the date USCIS receives the initial evidence.
    • For example, if your case is pending 60 days when USCIS issues a request for initial evidence, and you respond 30 days later, the “clock” will be reset to Day 1 on the date USCIS receives the evidence.
  • If USCIS issues a request for additional evidence, the clock will stop the day the request is issued and resume from the same point when USCIS receives the additional evidence.
    • For example, if your case is pending 60 days when USCIS issues a request for additional evidence, and you respond 30 days later, your case will be processed with the clock resuming at Day 60 on the date USCIS receives the additional evidence.
  • The clock will also stop if USCIS issues a request for initial evidence pertaining to the principal application/petition that serves as the basis for your application for employment authorization.
    • For example, if your eligibility for employment authorization is based on a pending Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and USCIS issues a request for initial evidence pertaining to your Form I-485, the clock for your Form I-765 will stop when USCIS issues the request for evidence and restart when USCIS receives the requested information.
  • If you request that your fingerprint appointment be rescheduled, the clock will start over from the date of the request for rescheduling.

Note: “Initial evidence” is defined as any piece of evidence specified by regulation or specifically requested on the form or form instructions. “Additional evidence” is evidence beyond that which is required by the regulations, form, or form instructions, but which may assist in proving eligibility where the initial evidence submitted does not.

K1 Visa

12/30/15: Visa Received

AOS

CIS Office : Seattle WA

03/29/16: Date Filed

04/11/16: NOA Date

05/11/16: Bio. Appt.

04/20/16: Case updated to fingerprint fee received

04/20/16: Case updated to Case is ready to be scheduled for interview as of 03-17-16

05/11/16: Bio. Appt.

06/06/16: RFIE Mail / I-864 1040 tax form (missing) resent overnight shipping. Second submission of 1040 form for 2015

08/09/16: Status update to interview scheduled for September 13th

08/17/16: Status updated to interview cancelled

08/18/16: Status updated to interview scheduled for September 20th with corrected receipt number. AKA "D" day

12/01/16: Interview: Verbal Approval

12/06/16: Status update to card has been mailed

EAD

03/29/16: Date Filed :

Case rejected for invalid fee and/or signature (failed to sign both areas - Doh!)

04/18/16: Date refiled

04/19/16: NOA -Case Received

07/20/16: Case updated to card being produced

07/26/16: Card received priority 3 day mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my case it did not affect my EAD,got an RFE Feb.23,March 21 they received my response and on March 30 my EAD was approved ,received my card first week of April.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

sorry I haven't updated my status. In my case I don't know if they halted my EAD, but once I submitted my RFE and requested expedite service with my job offer, I got my EAD approved in early January, which is about 3 weeks after I submitted RFE.

Did you file for your EAD with your I-485 application?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.