SmallTownPA

K2 - child of foreign women.. guide?

18 posts in this topic

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I looked over the guide and did not see any K2 (I think that is what I want) for getting a visa for the child of a fiance.

Right now we are still dating and talking.. I have not filed any papers... as she asked me about her child (less than 5 years old).

Where should I start??

Thanks to all!!

Edited by SmallTownPA

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I looked over the guide and did not see any K2 (I think that is what I want) for getting a visa for the child of a fiance.

Right now we are still dating and talking.. I have not filed any papers... as she asked me about her child (less than 5 years old).

Where should I start??

Thanks to all!!

Welcome to the forum. Start by reading the Form I-129F instructions and the VJ K1 Guide:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

At the beginning of the K1/K2 process, insert the child's information where requested in the Form I-129F. That is about it at the beginning of the process. There will be much more necessary later on in the consulate/embassy phase of the process. Read up on that at the DOS Nonimmigrant K1 Visa FAQs:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance-k-1.html

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Please check is I understand this:

YES I will be paying for two VISA.... one for mom and one for kid at the time I submit the K-1 forms.

NO Does the child have to travel with mother?

YES I *think* as long as the child is less than 21 or not married they can come to the USA at any time?

UNKNOWN The K-2 visa will allow free travel to/from the US to visit the father? Or must the child stay in the US until some sort of adjustment of status is done??

YES Can I just apply for a K-1 for mom and then after things have settled down do the K-2 for the child?

Has anyone done a K-2 child visa that can help with my questions??

Edited by SmallTownPA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Your fiance(e) will need to have sole custody or the permission of the biological father to bring her child to the US.

To apply for a K2 along with a K1, initally you'd put the child's name on the I-129F as well as include their birth certificate.

Once it reaches embassy stage your fiance(e) will need to provide additional information. Do a search via the Google Site Search (only searches VJ), to see what you can dig up in the forums. Don't forget to check the dates on the posts and keep in mind that processes change; so look for more up to date posts.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Timeline

Those guides did not answer my questions (or I did not understand them completely).

1. I will be paying for two VISA.... one for mom and one for kid at the time I submit the K-1 forms.

2. Does the child have to travel with mother?

3. I *think* as long as the child is less than 21 or not married they can come to the USA at any time?

4. The K-2 visa will allow free travel to/from the US to visit the father? Or must the child stay in the US until some sort of adjustment of status is done??

5. Can I just apply for a K-1 for mom and then after things have settled down do the K-2 for the child?

Has anyone done a K-2 child visa that can help with my questions??

1. You do not have to pay for two I-129F petitions. However if your petition is approved, you will have to pay two visa processing fees at the time of the interview in the consulate/embassy.
  2. I don't know, but they would need to travel prior to the expiration of their visa either way.
  3. If I am not mistaken, this does not apply to the visa validity, it applies to the child's eligibility to qualify for the visa.
  4. The child must adjust their status, along with your fiance, this process can take up to a year.
  5. You would apply for a Following-toJoin rather than a K2. A K2 is strictly whilst filing alongside a K1.
Edited by d3adc0d3

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Timeline

Please check is I understand this:

YES I will be paying for two VISA.... one for mom and one for kid at the time I submit the K-1 forms. As I mentioned in my other previous posting. Put the child's name where requested in the initial I-129F visa petition form. Later on, at the interview phase (embassy/consulate) of the process there will be required forms and fees for both the mom and the child, refer to the DOS FAQs link previously provided for specifics.

NO Does the child have to travel with mother? See the DOS FAQs link previously provided for specifics.

YES I *think* as long as the child is less than 21 or not married they can come to the USA at any time? See the DOS FAQs link previously provided for specifics.

UNKNOWN The K-2 visa will allow free travel to/from the US to visit the father? Or must the child stay in the US until some sort of adjustment of status is done?? No international travel for the (former) K1 or K2 is allowed until Adjustment of Status (AOS) process is underway. They must either have an Advanced Parole (AP) document or Green Card (GC- Form I-551), and their valid foreign passport for international travel.

YES Can I just apply for a K-1 for mom and then after things have settled down do the K-2 for the child? You must start by putting the child's name where requested in the initial I-129F visa petition form. See the DOS FAQs link previously provided for specifics about embassy/consulate phase of K2 visa process.

Has anyone done a K-2 child visa that can help with my questions?? See below.

I successfully petitioned for my wife (former K-1) and stepson (former K-2) from China. I do have hands-on experience in this particular process. Check out our timeline. Please read the information I previously provided for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

OP, read the links provided.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Where should I start??

Thanks to all!!

Easy peasy.

You list ALL children on the 129f form.

Then prior to the interview, you list only those you wish to receive a K-2 visa, and whether they are To Join the beneficiary or To Follow.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

The K-2 visa will allow free travel to/from the US to visit the father? Or must the child stay in the US until some sort of adjustment of status is done??

Others have weighed in on the AOS and AP or GC requirement to leave the US and be allowed back in (anyone can leave the US at any time, no permission or document required....but to get back in, then you need the mentioned).

There's one more spin to all this.....many Embassies / Countries will require a notarized document from the father giving his permission for the child to permanently reside in the US and to travel back to the old country and then return again to the US. Check with your Embassy if this is required. Many do require it and many fathers are reluctant to sign this. It is highly suggested you obtain this document, if required, PRIOR to filing an visa petition....it can be a show-stopper.

Timeline

Is there a guide to all the codes being tossed around?

I read the links.. I guess I am looking for more than just a few extra words.. like an explination to clarify things.

Will keep reading... but really the codes/abbreivations are really confusing for a new person.

Timeline

Is there a guide to all the codes being tossed around?

I read the links.. I guess I am looking for more than just a few extra words.. like an explination to clarify things.

Will keep reading... but really the codes/abbreivations are really confusing for a new person.

Like I said in my first post:

Welcome to the forum.

We all started where you are at this do-it-yourself forum. Yes, the terms/codes/abbreviations can be confusing and daunting. We all felt the same way. That is why reading and becoming acquainted with the process is important to you.

Timeline

Well Mr or Mrs A&B hows about you just ignore my posts I do not find your posts informative or helpfull.

Timeline

Well Mr or Mrs A&B hows about you just ignore my posts I do not find your posts informative or helpfull.

They are trying to help you. VJ has a ton of guides and helpful resources with links to the official USCIS/Government pages which contain more detailed explanations. No one will hold your hand here; If you're unsure of what something means, ask straight up, but your best bet is to read, and if you're confused read again 5 more times. :lol: We've all been there, and we do understand how confusing the immigration process is, however you need to teach yourself as we all have done so.

Don't bite the hand that feeds, or no one will want to help you later on down the road. Just because you got an answer you dislike doesn't mean it's a bad answer.

Useful Links:

Timeline

There's a listing of the acronyms we use....can't seem to find it.

Timeline

There's a listing of the acronyms we use....can't seem to find it.

Glossary: http://www.visajourney.com/content/us-immigration-glossary

Abbreviations/Acronyms: http://www.visajourney.com/content/us-immigration-abbreviations

Edited by d3adc0d3

Useful Links:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.