sandrine29

entered under K1 can i work?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hi all,

i'm requiring here advices from wise experience people and i know there are a lot !

i entered into the US under a K1 visa.

how can i work? i had contacts for some jobs when i was still in France and i know i will be hired if i can provide papers.

we 're not married yet my fiancé and I so my first Q would be : can i apply for a EAD or some any kind of working authorization so i can work while waiting for the wedding?

do i need to be married to get a working authorization and then apply to positions?

thank you for your advices !!

i need to be active and if i can bring some money to my fiancé so we get a better wedding it's all fine !! lOL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

The K-1 is not work authorized. There is nothing you can do between now and obtaining your Employment Authorization Document. The EAD paperwork is filed with the Adjustment of Status application after marriage. It takes about 90 days to obtain after submission

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

A K-1 entrant can apply for the EAD while the I-94 is current. You will need to pay the application fee and the biometrics fee. The EAD usually takes two to three months to approve and issue, and is supposed to be set to expire with the I-94. For this reason, most people do not attempt this process. But not too long back here someone was determined to see it through and the EAD was given with either a 6 or 12 month expiration time, I forget which. If they fail to adjudicate the EAD before the I-94 expires, you'll likely receive a denial. If you're truly determined to work early, you could attempt this. But it will be a gamble if you can actually come out money ahead by doing so.

Edited by Caryh

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

Once you enter POE, your K1 expires it only gud for that entry.

then you have 90days to get married. in some states the K1 is enuff for a SSN, other states require that you have a marriage certificate as proof.

you cant work on your K1 because your I94 is linked to it and if you apply for EAD when you I94 expires so does your EAD.

to save money, have your wedding, apply for AOS and file your EAD with it, when you file these seperate the cost is more. the cost to file everything $1020.00.

even if you have offers from companies they cant hire you because your EAD would be expired and then you will have to file for it over again, thats if you didnt do your AOS and EAD together.

Once you enter POE, your K1 expires it only gud for that entry.

then you have 90days to get married. in some states the K1 is enuff for a SSN, other states require that you have a marriage certificate as proof. SSC is not state specific. It is run by the Social Security Administration which is a Federal agency. The issue here is the training of the people at the SSA. You can apply for a SSN with the K-1 visa in the passport, an unexpired I-94 (at least two weeks before it expires), the passport, and some places required another form of ID like a birth certificate. It is easiest to apply in the VISA name. You do not have to be married. Most women find it hard to apply for the SSC in their married name as it does not match the name in the SAVE database. SO the opposite is actually ore correct in that it is better to apply before getting married.

you cant work on your K1 because your I94 is linked to it and if you apply for EAD when you I94 expires so does your EAD.

to save money, have your wedding, apply for AOS and file your EAD with it, when you file these seperate the cost is more. the cost to file everything $1020.00. Current AOS costs is $1070 for one person which includes the EAD (I-765) and the advance parole (AP or I-131) for travel.

even if you have offers from companies they cant hire you because your EAD would be expired and then you will have to file for it over again, thats if you didnt do your AOS and EAD together.

The biggest issue of being able to work is completing the I-9 form. You need to be able to supply either a List A document or a List B and List C document. The SSC you will receive as a K-1 will have printed on it "VALID FOR WORK WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION ONLY". The GC or EAD card is that authorization.

Just expect to take about a 3 month vacation from work after filing the AOS.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

The K-1 is not work authorized. There is nothing you can do between now and obtaining your Employment Authorization Document. The EAD paperwork is filed with the Adjustment of Status application after marriage. It takes about 90 days to obtain after submission

good luck

Just to expand, There is nothing they can do to accept a job for an immediate start date, they can start their search and networking now and they could take a position with a delayed start date. Some electronic applications do ask if your are legally entitled to work in the US which is problematic to say yes to, unless there are comments sections to explain that the work authorization is pending.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.