SimonBelgium

Building Credit Score - Tips & Tricks

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

If anyone has more info, tips, tricks etc, I will update the text above accordingly

Edited by SimonAndKimberly
  • Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

This is so helpful. Thank you for this. Definitely going to follow these tips once I'm in the U.S

05-19-2012 - Met in Seoul, Korea

03-30-2013 - Married in Washington State

USCIS

01-03-2014 - I-130 Package sent to Chicago lockbox

01-10-2014 - NOA1. Case sent to Texas Service Center

01-14-2014 - Expedite requested due to military deployment

02-04-2014 - NOA2 (Expedite approved)

02-28-2014 - Case shipped to NVC

NVC

03-11-2014 - NVC received case

04-10-2014 - NVC case number assigned

04-15-2014 - DS-261 completed online

04-15-2014 - Expedite requested

04-28-2014 - Case forwarded to consulate (Expedite approved)

Consulate

05-30-2014 - Medical

06-12-2014 - Interview

06-20-2014 - Visa in hand

09-21-2014 - POE (San Francisco)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Bookmarked:)

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

Timeline

Great information! I hope there is a way to make this easy for people to find/reference to. I know I will keep it in mind to share

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

First of all, thanks to the OP for putting together and sharing this information. Secondly, the purpose of this thread is for information and not general Q & A so if you have any questions about the information here, please start your own thread. Thread will remain unlocked to allow for necessary edits or for the addition of additional relevant information. Posts asking questions will be split off and posts containing general commentary will be removed. This is to avoid cluttering the thread and having information get lost.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

The "sweet spot" for overall credit utilization is 1-20%.

As for the age old question "How long does it take to build a credit history?", it took me 7 months in total to go from non-existent to a score of 706. My score took a dip in month 8 when I signed up for a new credit card and car lease in one month. Now 12 months on I'm floating around 720. There are all kinds of methods to pull your credit score up, but as with many other aspects of being a new immigrant patience and consistency are your two best friends.

If you're flush with cash, a credit score probably doesn't make much of an impact, but for most of us regular folks, a good credit score is very important for all major purchases - home (buy or rent), car, equipment, furniture etc. These days, some employers run credit checks too! The good news is, it didn't take as long as I thought it would to get to a healthy score.

Interview date: May 2, 2013
POE: May 2013

Timeline

Update done to the first post :)

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Excellent work, I like the Amex tip Found this external link to have several good points including leveraging you American spouses credit by adding you to their card accounts and using a bank from your home country that has us branches issue you a US credit card. http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/9-credit-building-tips-for-us-immigrants-1270.php

Edited by Rob L

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Timeline

Excellent work, I like the Amex tip Found this external link to have several good points including leveraging you American spouses credit by adding you to their card accounts and using a bank from your home country that has us branches issue you a US credit card. http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/9-credit-building-tips-for-us-immigrants-1270.php

Thanks Rob,

Using your spouse's credit rating can help to actually get credit, but until you are paying off credit yourself (jointly or alone), your score doesn't move. But if you need to buy a car upon arrival and want a credit card, leveraging your spouse's score does help indeed.

From what I have heard so far, the only financial institution willing to move your credit cards to their US branch is American Express.

• 1 month later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

If you have an Amex abroad, and have had it for more than 12 months, you can (in most cases) request a US Amex card to replace your foreign card. The advantage is, with a good foreign history, chances of approval are very high, plus, the age of your account goes back to the first issuance of your Amex card abroad !

Has anyone tested this last piece of advice out here in USA? It would be exciting if it is true. I just came here as an international graduate student, and have decided not to work for the first 6 months. I just got my Oz Amex transferred to USA (with minimal limit of $2000, but better than nothing as a start). I'd be stoked if they fed my Oz account age into the FICO formula as I got the card in 2012! I'll update my findings here once I start to see scores.

22/10/13: Applied to Lesley University

16/01/14: Accepted into Lesley University

31/05/14: I-20 in hand

06/06/14: F-1 visa appointment scheduled

23/06/14: F-1 visa approved

31/07/14: POE = LAX ^_^

Timeline

Has anyone tested this last piece of advice out here in USA? It would be exciting if it is true. I just came here as an international graduate student, and have decided not to work for the first 6 months. I just got my Oz Amex transferred to USA (with minimal limit of $2000, but better than nothing as a start). I'd be stoked if they fed my Oz account age into the FICO formula as I got the card in 2012! I'll update my findings here once I start to see scores.

I actually don't know where / how you can see which credit accounts contribute to your score, and what age they are. Maybe this is included on your credit report ?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Oh, I doubt it would be possible to see that kind of resolution of detail in a credit report. What I meant was that, around the start of Feb next year, I'm hoping/expecting a starting score of about 680. If it's north of that, I might well assume that my Amex age had something to do with it. But you are right, I'll never really know.

22/10/13: Applied to Lesley University

16/01/14: Accepted into Lesley University

31/05/14: I-20 in hand

06/06/14: F-1 visa appointment scheduled

23/06/14: F-1 visa approved

31/07/14: POE = LAX ^_^

Timeline

Updated the first post to include a section on how to get your foreign money into your new US account. I would like to include more transfer platforms based on the experience people have. Feel free to comment here and I will update accordingly.

Oh, I doubt it would be possible to see that kind of resolution of detail in a credit report. What I meant was that, around the start of Feb next year, I'm hoping/expecting a starting score of about 680. If it's north of that, I might well assume that my Amex age had something to do with it. But you are right, I'll never really know.

I suppose you could call the Amex support number and make inquiries regarding your account with them...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.