ALTN

DIV-2015 not selected quick question

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm a participant in the Diversity Visa program for 2015; just checked my status and the system is displaying to me this message:

"Based on the information provided, the Entry HAS NOT BEEN SELECTED for further processing for the Electronic Diversity Visa program at this time."

Does this mean that the game is already over for me? or maybe there's still hope and I should keep checking maybe once every month till September 2015?

Also just to remove doubts... is the last name field case-sensitive? Suppose my entry name is displayed as follows : "SMITH, DAVID" in the Submission Confirmation page. Which of the following would be the correct entry for the last/family name field:

• SMITH
  • Smith
  • smith
  • or maybe all of it? SMITH, DAVID

Your help would be most appreciated! :)

Here is some info I found doing a search for the message. It is a few years old but might be still valid.

Check in October, if they have not used up all the greencards by then they will release more.

Sometimes people change their mind and do follow through or they don't meet the income or education requirement. But also a family of 5 would soak up 5 greencards.

A reminder from the U.S. State Department:

Notifications to those selected in the random lottery are not sent by e-mail. Official notifications of selection are sent by regular postal mail from the KCC.

Hope this helps.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you for the quick answer! This actually leaves some hope to me. :)

However what keeps me still in doubt is that I read somewhere that the system selects since the start a higher number of applicants than available visas so to keep a waiting list in case some candidates don't meet the requirements. Which means that even being initially selected doesn't guarantee an appointment for a visa interview if your selection number is too high.

Anyhow, if anybody can shed some light on the subject, that would be great, otherwise I'll just keep checking every month I guess.

Here is some info I found doing a search for the message. It is a few years old but might be still valid.

Check in October, if they have not used up all the greencards by then they will release more.

Sometimes people change their mind and do follow through or they don't meet the income or education requirement. But also a family of 5 would soak up 5 greencards.

A reminder from the U.S. State Department:

Notifications to those selected in the random lottery are not sent by e-mail. Official notifications of selection are sent by regular postal mail from the KCC.

Hope this helps.

This post is out of date. KCC no longer sends postal mail to entrants, any communication is via the same website you use to check your entry, using the same confirmation number. If something new is on there, they will send an email to tell you the website has been updated - but the email itself will not contain any information on what has been updated.

Thank you for the quick answer! This actually leaves some hope to me. :)

However what keeps me still in doubt is that I read somewhere that the system selects since the start a higher number of applicants than available visas so to keep a waiting list in case some candidates don't meet the requirements. Which means that even being initially selected doesn't guarantee an appointment for a visa interview if your selection number is too high.

Anyhow, if anybody can shed some light on the subject, that would be great, otherwise I'll just keep checking every month I guess.

There have been a couple of years before when more people have been selected, and I believe these selections have taken place in October. So hold on to your confirmation number. It's not always clear whether or not further selections have taken place, but I assume when they do the selectees will get a similar email telling them to check the entrant status check page.

Incidentally they will never have used up all the green cards by October - but by October they will generally have a very good idea of what the numbers for the year will look like as the majority of selectees who want to proceed will have sent in their forms by then. If it looks like they will not hit their quota for the year then they select more. But you are also correct that a high case number may mean you don't get a chance for an interview, as the quota is also the limit on the number of visas they can issue each (fiscal) year.

They selected 125,000 people out of which 55,000 will get visas. So if you want an honest answer - yes, it's game over.

Depends how many of those 125k send back forms and how many of those are eligible. It's probably game over, but not necessarily, there have been years when they have had around the same number of selectees and then selected 5-10k more in October.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Rarely do they draw more number, this year with rumors of dv lottery ending being higher than usual more people are apt to take their winning rather than think they can win again later. You can try again and again. it is easier from most places to get hit by lighting than to get a green card from the lottery. it is the only path for so many people that it is overflowing with hopefuls entrants.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Rarely do they draw more number, this year with rumors of dv lottery ending being higher than usual more people are apt to take their winning rather than think they can win again later. You can try again and again. it is easier from most places to get hit by lighting than to get a green card from the lottery. it is the only path for so many people that it is overflowing with hopefuls entrants.

I've never understood the logic of this argument because people are rarely stupid enough to think they can not bother to follow through this year because they can win again...

And actually your chances of winning the lottery are way better than you say for certain countries... Some sure it's hard, for my country it's around 2%. Better than most other lotteries....definitely better odds than being struck by lightning.

I know of two years they have drawn more numbers. No idea how often it happens as they don't publicize it.

Edited by SusieQQQ

HI all,

Seems my number hasn't come up again for the 5th year in a row. Just out of interest I notice people are calculating odds, how are you doing that? Are the number of visas and applicants per country available somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

HI all,

Seems my number hasn't come up again for the 5th year in a row. Just out of interest I notice people are calculating odds, how are you doing that? Are the number of visas and applicants per country available somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

The official stats are here http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/diversity-visa-program-statistics.html

But also someone (Raevsky actually) has done the work for you for recent years here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

DV Lottery information - www.BritSimonSays.com

According to those stats, as an Australian, I have a relatively whopping 6% chance. However I have listed HK as my place of residence each application. I believe I would still fall under the Oceania quota though?

Assuming you were born in Australia and that you consequently correctly put it as country of chargeability, yes you fall under Oceania.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.