Nursepeters

Please Help! My husband was detained today!

65 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

Hi there. I am looking for some advice...My husband who came in on a fiance visa was detained today and is being held in a deportation facility in Texas. He was on a bus that was pulled over by Border Patrol and his visa is expired. We got married within the 90 days, but we have not filed for AOS yet,because we were trying to get his daughter here and were told there is no deadline to do so...What can I do? I am looking for a lawyer but I love this forum and used it when we were trying to get him here. I was unable to access my old account but i wanted to come here to ask. Would it do any good to file the AOS now? What is going to happen to him? I am grateful in advance to anyone that can shed some light on this for us. Take care, Deb

You need an immigration lawyer asap! You can't do it alone.

If the alien came here in the USA legally with a VISA (now expired), the alien has a chance since the alien is an immediate relative of a USC provided that AOS was filed.

Being married to a US citizen doesn't automatically stop deportation, but it does allow someone to request a stay of removal so that they can apply for adjustment of status. The immigration judge will usually grant this if the alien appears to be eligible for adjustment; e.g., didn't enter without inspection, and isn't being removed for an unwaiverable inadmissibility.

Read this link:

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/foia/prosecutorial-discretion/handling-removal-proceedings.pdf

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So sorry to hear that happened to him. He was unlucky enough to get caught by that small chance of being detained if out of status before filing for AOS. Follow the advice above and find an immigration attorney. I hope the judge simply orders him to file for AOS immediately, since he is eligible to do so. Please keep us informed about your case. I would like to hear that all ended up well for you both.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to General Immigration-Related Discussion ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you live or travel near the border with Mexico then the chances are not small, I would classify that as a high risk area and would never risk it while not in status especially on a bus where they will check everyone and not just ask the driver. ICE along with CBP are all over that area and there are multiple secondary checkpoints on US soil.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you live or travel near the border with Mexico then the chances are not small, I would classify that as a high risk area and would never risk it while not in status especially on a bus where they will check everyone and not just ask the driver. ICE along with CBP are all over that area and there are multiple secondary checkpoints on US soil.

Yes, the checkpoints along the border put you at a higher risk of being detained. So does riding a bus. They have been known to do sweeps of buses looking for illegals. My small chance comment was about overall. There is in general a small chance to be detained when out of status on a K-1 before filing for AOS. Most people are never detained and do not have any issues with being out of status before filing. Because of the chance being small and most not having problems, some have come to the false conclusion that marrying within the 90 days protects you, even if your I-94 has expired. It does not.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

athough his visa is expired,

what's the expiration date on the I-94?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Fixable.

But at a cost. Time to lawyer up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Fixable.

But at a cost. Time to lawyer up.

I wish someone could explain the compelling interest our government has to traumatize this family for such a frivolous issue. It took us six weeks to get our Marriage Certificate. I feel like the people who live near the Boarder in the 'Constitution Free Zone' are unfairly penalized and restricted from traveling because of these petty rules. It wouldn't be rocket science to tweak the rules a little to make their lives easier with absolutely no negative impact. How many people can afford to pay an attorney without notice. I am disgusted and wish I didn't read this.

Best of luck to you guys!!! Please keep us posted and we will pray for a good outcome.

Edited by twopeepsaz

[01/21/2014] I-130, I-485, I-765 sent off to Chicago

[01/27/2014] (Day 1) Package Arrived in Chicago

[01/27/2014] (Day 1) NOA Date

[01/30/2014] (Day 4) Fingerprint Fee Accepted - Case Transferred to National Benefits Center

[01/31/2014] (Day 5) Checks Cashed

[02/07/2014] (Day 12) Hardcopies NOA in mailbox

[02/10/2014] (Day 15) Bio-metrics Letter in mailbox Appt 2/24/2014

[02/11/2014] (Day 16) Successful Bio-metrics Walk In

[03/05/2014] (Day 38) 485 Status Changed to Testing and Interview

[03/18/2014] (Day 51) Email with Interview Date: 04/23/2014

[04/07/2014] (Day 71) Text/Email Indicating EAD Card In production / AP Approved

[04/10/2014] (Day 74) Text/Email Indicating EAD Card Mailed

[04/14/2014] (Day 78) EAD Card In Hand

[04/15/2014] (Day 79) Applied for SS#

[04/23/2014] (Day 87) Interview (Approved on spot)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Frivolous?

They had the option to avoid the issue and chose not to take it for whatever reason.

Yes frivolous! Are you suggesting they become a prisoner in their own city? Besides, I would hope that people on this community would show them support now rather than taking pot shots at them when they are down.

[01/21/2014] I-130, I-485, I-765 sent off to Chicago

[01/27/2014] (Day 1) Package Arrived in Chicago

[01/27/2014] (Day 1) NOA Date

[01/30/2014] (Day 4) Fingerprint Fee Accepted - Case Transferred to National Benefits Center

[01/31/2014] (Day 5) Checks Cashed

[02/07/2014] (Day 12) Hardcopies NOA in mailbox

[02/10/2014] (Day 15) Bio-metrics Letter in mailbox Appt 2/24/2014

[02/11/2014] (Day 16) Successful Bio-metrics Walk In

[03/05/2014] (Day 38) 485 Status Changed to Testing and Interview

[03/18/2014] (Day 51) Email with Interview Date: 04/23/2014

[04/07/2014] (Day 71) Text/Email Indicating EAD Card In production / AP Approved

[04/10/2014] (Day 74) Text/Email Indicating EAD Card Mailed

[04/14/2014] (Day 78) EAD Card In Hand

[04/15/2014] (Day 79) Applied for SS#

[04/23/2014] (Day 87) Interview (Approved on spot)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Suggesting they file to adjust status within the 90 days.

You seem confused.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.