mumpk

K1 self-sponsor, London

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

K1 interview yesterday (18 Nov). For the evidence of support, I self-sponsored with £66k in cash. No I-134. Hope that's helpful to someone.

Thanks! That is helpful.

Did you get any comments about whether that was a lot/just enough etc.? What evidence did you include to show the assets?

All information is valuable, and London doesn't post any official figures about what they do and don't accept for K1s, so your input is great.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Thanks for sharing! We're already through the process, but I know there has been a lot of discussion about this topic, so I know quite a few people will find it really helpful!

Glad your interview went well! Congrats!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Timeline

I had certificates of balance and 12 months of bank statements for each bank account.

For the smallest balance (£4,500) they didn't actually take any evidence. So they filed my summary of £66k and third party evidence to support £61,500 of it.

No comments on the amount as such, but the first interviewer spent no more than 30 seconds leafing through my documents, and all the second guy asked was "So you're planning to transfer your assets to the US, is that correct?". So I didn't have any trouble with it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I had certificates of balance and 12 months of bank statements for each bank account.

For the smallest balance (£4,500) they didn't actually take any evidence. So they filed my summary of £66k and third party evidence to support £61,500 of it.

No comments on the amount as such, but the first interviewer spent no more than 30 seconds leafing through my documents, and all the second guy asked was "So you're planning to transfer your assets to the US, is that correct?". So I didn't have any trouble with it.

This is great and I know its all about the CO and embassy and too many of us assume that the Beneficiary can't sponsor themselves. Thanks for sharng this will help alot of folks. Congratulations.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Pretty much my experience. I had £25K in cash but they only took evidence of the equity balance in my house sale - which at the time hadn't even gone through (and still hasn't grrrr).

My thoughts ?

1) They only want to see that you can survive to AOS - their only concern imho

2) They look at one big bit of evidence but they don't look that closely at it.

That was for me of course - middle aged bloke in the UK so probably believable

Main thing - self sponsorship is not the big deal at London that I worried it would be. It's not unusual as the song goes, just make sure you present a nice clear picture of assets. I had a mini -spreadsheet and clear summary.

Richard

event.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

I would second that this is easy enough to do - I self sponsored with no more than a print out from the bank from a couple of days before the interview. The only question I was asked was whether I planned to transfer the money to the USA. Other than that, it didn't seem to cause any great deal of surprise when I said I was self-sponsoring.

• 4 months later...
Timeline

JUST HAD THIS SENT TO ME BY MY AMERICAN ATOURNEY REGARDING THE QUESTION OF SELF SPONSORSHIP IN LONDON.

COMMENTS PLEASE???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, Richard/Sheri:

Good morning; thanks for your email.

· In no way is that correct. The whole idea behind the I-134 is of course to guarantee that the USC sponsor will maintain the alien so s/he doesn’t become a public charge.

· For the record, we checked with our counterpart in the UK who works daily with the US Embassy, London,, and she concurs. Her exact response was: “There is no way that London (or anywhere else) would take an I-134 from the foreign national for these purposes (K-1).”

· Again, we can use savings when the time comes, or try a joint sponsor (Sheri has already stated that her mother can be used) or Richard can transfer savings to Sheri’s account, and those can be used on the I-134. Also, reminding you that we have some time yet; Sheri may have another job by then.

Thanks and regards,

Edited by Sheri&Rich

There are many people who have gone through London who have successfully self-sponsored. The I-134 is not binding, so in no way is it a "guarantee." Also, when self-sponsoring, I believe the non-USC does not present an I-134 but instead provides proof of self-sponsorship.

This attorney is a moron.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

There are many people who have gone through London who have successfully self-sponsored. The I-134 is not binding, so in no way is it a "guarantee." Also, when self-sponsoring, I believe the non-USC does not present an I-134 but instead provides proof of self-sponsorship.

This attorney is a moron.

I have my doubts about the attorney anyway.....................

Is it the case that you just don't 'produce an I-134 at the consulate but instead just produce proof of savings / capital and if so, is there a minimum as I will have about £80K spare but don't want to show all of the money to them?

Best

Rich

I know it's not helpful to hear, but there is no set minimum. It depends on the totality of your circumstances. People have self-sponsored successfully with considerably less. Have a back up I-134 with you from the USC just in case. Hopefully one of the self-sponsorship success stories will chime in here to say what they brought with them.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

I know it's not helpful to hear, but there is no set minimum. It depends on the totality of your circumstances. People have self-sponsored successfully with considerably less. Have a back up I-134 with you from the USC just in case. Hopefully one of the self-sponsorship success stories will chime in here to say what they brought with them.

The self sponsorship option is a back up plan for our application but just wanted to know the procedure requirements so if anybody has been through it recently, can they give a detailed update?

Best

Rich

The self sponsorship option is a back up plan for our application but just wanted to know the procedure requirements so if anybody has been through it recently, can they give a detailed update?

Best

Rich

There's good answers already in this thread like this one--

I would second that this is easy enough to do - I self sponsored with no more than a print out from the bank from a couple of days before the interview. The only question I was asked was whether I planned to transfer the money to the USA. Other than that, it didn't seem to cause any great deal of surprise when I said I was self-sponsoring.

Or the one from rjm_cmyk

Do not fill out an I-134 if you are the Brit and self sponsoring. Just show them your money. There is no set amount. (Echoing maven). The officer needs to be convinced you will not become a public charge. It is totally subjective. No rules written up in law on this one. £80k will do it. I've seen VJ members say they were approved on $42k and around $50k. another with $8500 who had a stream of income that would continue. Not may post specifics. Why do you not want to reveal the full £80k, if you don't mind sharing. I can't figure that out.

The lawyer is wrong, wrong, wrong.

You are quite the worrier, aren't you? It's really not that difficult. The London people want you to succeed. They are not looking for tiny details to trip you up.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

There's good answers already in this thread like this one--

Or the one from rjm_cmyk

Do not fill out an I-134 if you are the Brit and self sponsoring. Just show them your money. There is no set amount. (Echoing maven). The officer needs to be convinced you will not become a public charge. It is totally subjective. No rules written up in law on this one. £80k will do it. I've seen VJ members say they were approved on $42k and around $50k. another with $8500 who had a stream of income that would continue. Not may post specifics. Why do you not want to reveal the full £80k, if you don't mind sharing. I can't figure that out.

The lawyer is wrong, wrong, wrong.

You are quite the worrier, aren't you? It's really not that difficult. The London people want you to succeed. They are not looking for tiny details to trip you up.

Actually, yes I am a worrier.....mainly because I am getting different information from the attorney and Visajourney. I don't want to 'sack' the attorney just incase there is a real issue that flags up but this isn't the only piece of information that has proven the attorney to be wrong. I was originally told the whole process would take 3 months!!!

The reason for not wanting to declare the full £80K is that some of it is tied up with my parents as an investment package and to show it in my sole name would mean cancelling policies and losing interest accrued etc etc.

Thank you for your help.

Best

Richard

Actually, yes I am a worrier.....mainly because I am getting different information from the attorney and Visajourney. I don't want to 'sack' the attorney just incase there is a real issue that flags up but this isn't the only piece of information that has proven the attorney to be wrong. I was originally told the whole process would take 3 months!!!

The reason for not wanting to declare the full £80K is that some of it is tied up with my parents as an investment package and to show it in my sole name would mean cancelling policies and losing interest accrued etc etc.

Thank you for your help.

Best

Richard

I think you will find the officers in London pretty reasonable. It is a judgement call. No rules about in your name solely. Show them something on paper about the joint investment and explain your part. You are there in person to discuss everything. It might just top off what you have on your own to make you look even more favorable.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.