BaBamSam

Self-Sponsoring Success

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As some of you might remember, my fiance and I had opted to forego the I-134 in favor of him self-sponsoring (an option available at London). While it was an option, there was very little concrete info on how to do it. We basically had to guess at what they'd want to see, and he spent a lot of time in banks getting paperwork from them. For the benefit of anyone else considering this route, I thought I'd write up this post.

First, know that this is not the standard route at London. When my fiance got to the interview, the man asked for his I-134 and he replied "I would like to self-sponsor". This threw the man behind the counter off and he openly said that they don't get that often so, to my fiance, "all right, what do you have for me?".

Here is what my fiance had:

- A topsheet with a summary of the four main assets he was demonstrating, with an explanation at the bottom of how he was planning to convert said value into dollars (note: it is actually illegal in some states to transfer money from overseas into domestic bank accounts, and we acknowledged in that letter that California was not one of them)

- A signed and stamped letter from his savings bank with the balance in it

- A signed and stamped letter from his day-to-day checking/savings bank with the balance in it

- A signed and stamped letter with the value of his portfolio (dated within two weeks of the interview) and a brief summary of stocks/bonds that made it up

- A signed letter of valuation for his flat, along with the deed to prove ownership.

Here is what the interviewer was interested in:

- The top spreadsheet, after looking at which he said "all right, show me the savings account"

- The savings account letter, after looking at which he said "yeah, that'll be enough".

My fiance asked if he wanted to see info on the other accounts, or the deed/valuation to his flat, and the officer just flipped through the paperwork in about 2 seconds and said "yeah, it's fine".

So. That was it. Despite the officer only really being interested in the first two things, I would still recommend that anyone going this route bring as much info as they can - just in case.

If anyone has any questions, please ask away! I hope this helped someone on their journey.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

As some of you might remember, my fiance and I had opted to forego the I-134 in favor of him self-sponsoring (an option available at London). While it was an option, there was very little concrete info on how to do it. We basically had to guess at what they'd want to see, and he spent a lot of time in banks getting paperwork from them. For the benefit of anyone else considering this route, I thought I'd write up this post.

First, know that this is not the standard route at London. When my fiance got to the interview, the man asked for his I-134 and he replied "I would like to self-sponsor". This threw the man behind the counter off and he openly said that they don't get that often so, to my fiance, "all right, what do you have for me?".

Here is what my fiance had:

- A topsheet with a summary of the four main assets he was demonstrating, with an explanation at the bottom of how he was planning to convert said value into dollars (note: it is actually illegal in some states to transfer money from overseas into domestic bank accounts, and we acknowledged in that letter that California was not one of them)

- A signed and stamped letter from his savings bank with the balance in it

- A signed and stamped letter from his day-to-day checking/savings bank with the balance in it

- A signed and stamped letter with the value of his portfolio (dated within two weeks of the interview) and a brief summary of stocks/bonds that made it up

- A signed letter of valuation for his flat, along with the deed to prove ownership.

Here is what the interviewer was interested in:

- The top spreadsheet, after looking at which he said "all right, show me the savings account"

- The savings account letter, after looking at which he said "yeah, that'll be enough".

My fiance asked if he wanted to see info on the other accounts, or the deed/valuation to his flat, and the officer just flipped through the paperwork in about 2 seconds and said "yeah, it's fine".

So. That was it. Despite the officer only really being interested in the first two things, I would still recommend that anyone going this route bring as much info as they can - just in case.

If anyone has any questions, please ask away! I hope this helped someone on their journey.

Without wishing to be rude or personal, could you tell us the amount that he had in his savings account? It would be really useful for people coming after you to have some idea of how much is 'enough'.

Congratulations on his approval and having the confidence to 'self sponsor'. I'm sure it was a nervous time for you.

Thank you so much for this. Nobody has detailed it in a separate thread before. Excellent preparation too.

I am going to add the London link that discusses self-sponsoring to your thread

http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

And yes, the burning question of how much is enough? I know it is subjective and is not a numerical calculation of x times the poverty level. Can you give us a ballpark idea?

I am aware of a $50k and $42k being accepted in maybe 2009 or 2010. And a continuing revenue from apps sold online plus $8k being enough in 2012.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

That's really interesting to know. Thank you.

Can you provide a link that explains the rules about this? I've never heard of it before.

note: it is actually illegal in some states to transfer money from overseas into domestic bank accounts, and we acknowledged in that letter that California was not one of them

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It used to be that if you called them they would tell you.

When I did my K1 I assumed it was 5x 125%, wrong. Quick glance at the spreadsheet and that was it. Nearly did my shoulder in taking evidence.

It is what they think you need for 90 days.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

That's really interesting to know. Thank you.

Can you provide a link that explains the rules about this? I've never heard of it before.

I gave the link in the previous post. We often post about it, but I guess you didn't ever see it.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Never heard of it either, you would have thought in the many years I have been here it would have been mentioned before.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I gave the link in the previous post. We often post about it, but I guess you didn't ever see it.

I meant the comment that some states make it illegal to transfer money from overseas into US bank accounts. I don't see information on that on your link, or am I missing something?

Timeline

Without wishing to be rude or personal, could you tell us the amount that he had in his savings account? It would be really useful for people coming after you to have some idea of how much is 'enough'.

Congratulations on his approval and having the confidence to 'self sponsor'. I'm sure it was a nervous time for you.

Thank you so much for this. Nobody has detailed it in a separate thread before. Excellent preparation too.

I am going to add the London link that discusses self-sponsoring to your thread

http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

And yes, the burning question of how much is enough? I know it is subjective and is not a numerical calculation of x times the poverty level. Can you give us a ballpark idea?

I am aware of a $50k and $42k being accepted in maybe 2009 or 2010. And a continuing revenue from apps sold online plus $8k being enough in 2012.

Thanks guys!

It was a significant amount in his savings (around ~200K). I think, judging by the reaction of the interviewer, that a smaller amount would have been accepted, too. I wish I could give more details about the cutoff!

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

09/19/2013 - Interview

Timeline

I meant the comment that some states make it illegal to transfer money from overseas into US bank accounts. I don't see information on that on your link, or am I missing something?

I'll see if I can get some more concrete info for you via a link or something. It was an issue raised by his banks in the UK that we had no idea about until they mentioned it. I think "illegal" is a bit harsh, but in some states they apparently have more strict controls over how much can be transferred in a certain time frame.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey

09/19/2013 - Interview

I misunderstood. I thought you mean self sponsoring was news to you.

No, I am not aware of individual states regulating money transfers. The banking portion of the Patriot Act (post 9/11) has some reporting requirements of large amounts of money being moved about to help with money laundering issues. And the newer Dodd-Franks Law (2013?) adds some layers of disclosure of fees and exchange rates more clearly to consumers using a transfer service to protect the consumer. But those are federal law and would apply to all states.

Bam Bam...of course $200k would get approved. Most are probably wondering if a small amount like $10-20k would do, so that is still a mystery.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

It is not.

I'll see if I can get some more concrete info for you via a link or something. It was an issue raised by his banks in the UK that we had no idea about until they mentioned it. I think "illegal" is a bit harsh, but in some states they apparently have more strict controls over how much can be transferred in a certain time frame.

OK, thanks. I'd like to see that. I suspect your banks are confused, or they haven't communicated whatever the issue is well.

It is not.

Now I am confused. What question were you replying to there?

And Nich-Nick - thanks, that was my vaguely held understanding too.

Timeline

The Banks are not confused, somebody is however.

Timeline

I misunderstood. I thought you mean self sponsoring was news to you.

No, I am not aware of individual states regulating money transfers. The banking portion of the Patriot Act (post 9/11) has some reporting requirements of large amounts of money being moved about to help with money laundering issues. And the newer Dodd-Franks Law (2013?) adds some layers of disclosure of fees and exchange rates more clearly to consumers using a transfer service to protect the consumer. But those are federal law and would apply to all states.

Bam Bam...of course $200k would get approved. Most are probably wondering if a small amount like $10-20k would do, so that is still a mystery.

Yeah, I know there are some money-laundering protection things. I asked my fiance to call up one of his banks and ask about it again. We hadn't heard of it until it was mentioned (by two different banks even). Though there was also tons of tax confusion and stuff that he had to sort out with his property and such, so there's a very good chance that he misunderstood or something was conveyed incorrectly!

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey

09/19/2013 - Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.