Vanitas

Things you need to do before leaving the UK

103 posts in this topic

Thanks for this. I was wondering about the medical notes thing just yesterday.

I can add that Student Loans need to know you are moving if you are still repaying that:

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678653&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

AOS // 12 months 3 days
April 13, 2014 NOA1 - April 16, 2015 Approved

April 27, 2015 Greencard received

K-1 // 8 months
Feb 22, 2013 NOA1 - Oct 23, 2013 London Interview
March 18, 2014 Married

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

What a helpful thread biggrin.png few things that I've made a list of-

• If you have student loans, the student loan company needs to be informed of the move. They'll need to be informed again when you start working. Forms for this can be found on the repayment website. (OOPS, Jo beat me to this one!)
  • If you have a contract mobile phone and you are asking to cancel your contract before it's finished, most companies ask for you to pay the remainder of the contract up front. Call up, ask to switch to the lowest priced package. Call up again the next day or as soon as the change has gone through and then cancel. This way you won't have to pay as much.
  • Obvious one but if you're selling your car, DVLA need to be informed using the change of owner form in the logbook.
Edited by rhirhi

What a helpful thread biggrin.png few things that I've made a list of-

• If you have a contract mobile phone and you are asking to cancel your contract before it's finished, most companies ask for you to pay the remainder of the contract up front. Call up, ask to switch to the lowest priced package. Call up again the next day or as soon as the change has gone through and then cancel. This way you won't have to pay as much.

YES! This is excellent advice.good.gif Also some network providers make u wait until your "refresh date" for the new lower tariff to take effect so make sure u are giving notice after the lower contract amount has kicked in. Doing this reduced my Early Termination Fee from £300 to £80

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Unfortunately I can't edit the OP any further guys but keep them coming. I might see about asking Captain Ewok if the post can be allowed to be edited past its usual cutoff by myself.

"What's yours is mine!"

This is an edited version of my "emigration list". Bear in mind I wasn't changing employers, and they paid for my relocation.

Close ISA account (ISAs don't count as tax-free for US taxes)

Get medical records

Buy or hire wedding clothes

Offer unwanted items to friends or charity

See family and friends

Go to places in UK that you'll miss

Return items that don't belong to you - I had to return my brass band uniform

Book flight

Movers in

Pack work ffice stuff

Pack clothes to travel on flight

Cancel bills - bear in mind many of these require a month's notice

Cancel rent

Cancel council tax + get refund

Cancel water

Cancel gas and electric

Cancel phone

Cancel broadband (+return router?)

Cancel mobile phone

Cancel bank standing orders

Read gas and electric meters

Council take away large items

Change address - bank - at branch

Change address - life insurance / pension(s) / shares

Change address - academic societies / trade union etc. / whatever else

Mail forwarding with Royal Mail (this needs a few days notice)

Clean flat

Fly!

-----------------------------------------

Also, this immense and detailed list from britishexpats.com, which is more aimed at families emigrating for work, but still very useful.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_of_what_to_do_and_when_about_Moving

Something else to think of is the kind if job you are going to be looking for in the US. I think it's less of an issue if you have a degree but if you don't, you need evidence of your level of education. A lot of jobs in the US ask for 'high school diploma'. Obliviously, we don't have that in the UK. We have qualifications in specific subjects such and English and Maths (which will become Math once you get over here!). Therefore, you need to get something called a transcript which demonstrates your level.

There are a number of organizations in the US that provide this service for a price. Some will require you to do all the legwork i.e. contact your qualification providers to mail evidence to the company and some will do the legwork for you or accept copies of your certificates.

The one that was recommended to me by a college here is IERF. I would need to have them certify my qualifications to be able to start a college course as I would need a high school diploma. Here is their website - http://ierf.org/ and here is the page for the UK http://ierf.org/index.php/individuals/country-specific-requirements-results/#United_Kingdom

A general report costs $85 - use the Interactive tool here to check - http://ierf.org/index.php/individuals/existing-applicants/

Luckily, I have found a job that doesn't require me to demonstrate my qualifications, so I haven't had to follow up on it. However, it may be in my interest to do it anyway.

Something else to think of is the kind if job you are going to be looking for in the US. I think it's less of an issue if you have a degree but if you don't, you need evidence of your level of education. A lot of jobs in the US ask for 'high school diploma'. Obliviously, we don't have that in the UK. We have qualifications in specific subjects such and English and Maths (which will become Math once you get over here!). Therefore, you need to get something called a transcript which demonstrates your level.

There are a number of organizations in the US that provide this service for a price. Some will require you to do all the legwork i.e. contact your qualification providers to mail evidence to the company and some will do the legwork for you or accept copies of your certificates.

The one that was recommended to me by a college here is IERF. I would need to have them certify my qualifications to be able to start a college course as I would need a high school diploma. Here is their website - http://ierf.org/ and here is the page for the UK http://ierf.org/index.php/individuals/country-specific-requirements-results/#United_Kingdom

A general report costs $85 - use the Interactive tool here to check - http://ierf.org/index.php/individuals/existing-applicants/

Luckily, I have found a job that doesn't require me to demonstrate my qualifications, so I haven't had to follow up on it. However, it may be in my interest to do it anyway.

It says on that website that you need a transcript for each year of study completed for secondary education.. What is that? Never even heard of it. I have all my official result certificates.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

I started trying to get copies of my alevel certs and gcse certs to convert my UK qualifications to US with a company called WES ( or something) but it REALLY was a LOT of work and hassle and money. I eventually gave up. I would recommend paying someone to do it for u. Seriously

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Re: mobile/cell phones.

Possible to unlock your handset here and put a new SIM in it in the US? Anyone successfully done this? I can't afford a new handset and quite like my current one anyway, so hoping it might be possible but not sure.

AOS // 12 months 3 days

K-1 // 8 months
March 18, 2014 Married

Re: mobile/cell phones.

Possible to unlock your handset here and put a new SIM in it in the US? Anyone successfully done this? I can't afford a new handset and quite like my current one anyway, so hoping it might be possible but not sure.

Yes, if your phone is unlocked. I have a UK sim, a USA one and multiple ones from around Europe that all work in my unlocked Nexus 4. smile.png

Edit: I should caveat that. If you've got an older phone, it might not play nicely with the networks here. What phone do you have?

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Yes, if your phone is unlocked. I have a UK sim, a USA one and multiple ones from around Europe that all work in my unlocked Nexus 4. smile.png

Edit: I should caveat that. If you've got an older phone, it might not play nicely with the networks here. What phone do you have?

It's not just that. European phones generally use different frequency bands for data than in the US. I brought my HTC Desire from the UK last year, and it can only transfer data at the slowest speed, because the frequencies are different, though there are a few cities and networks where that isn't true.

My phone was getting old and needed replacing,turned my wife's contract into a family one and got me a new phone.

One other thing to add, though - US mobile phone contracts with the primary network providers, both with phone and without, are much more expensive than in Europe. Reduced cost contracts are available from other companies, but they tend to come with a lot of restrictions.

On the financial side - make a list of everyone you have a financial link to - when you sit down and do it you might be surprised and get those letters or contact phone numbers sorted out a bit earlier than the week before you go.

In particular - pension companies need to know where you are and you may well want to tell them about changes to beneficiaries in the event of your death.

Check your credit rating on-line and you should be able to see what they think are the companies you have agreements with. If you're a credit card rate tart you may have forgotten some agreements. I'm a bit paranoid about identity theft so I want a clear record of the termination of any credit agreements.

Be aware that many savings accounts are only available to UK residents so if you were planning on leaving any savings in the UK you may come unstuck.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Nice. It's a HTC Wildfire S. So not super old but still a couple of years mileage on it!

Edit: Just read your post Owen. When I was Googling this yesterday there was made mention of frequencies and possible problems there. Over my head that stuff, but I understand how it could be an issue. Hmmm. I have the most basic of basic Tracphones with Bob at the moment so perhaps I will suffer with that until I can manage a new handset/contract once over there?!

Yes I remember talking about phone bills once and was shocked by how much he pays. I'm on the lowest possible o2 one here (I never call anyone!) with a data bolt on; never more than about £20 per month. Best recalibrate my expectations there!

Edited by Jo Amelia Finlay

AOS // 12 months 3 days

K-1 // 8 months
March 18, 2014 Married

On the subject of phones over there, you also pay to receive messages and calls, at least on a PAYG one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.