unsmiley

How to approach DS-230 question about communist affiliations

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Regarding the question about any affiliation with the communist party: Should a potential immigrant from China simply answer yes to this question on the DS-230 (since almost everyone with a decent job/education is in fact a member, even if they are not actively involved with or are officers of the party? If so, should we include a letter of explanation with the DS-230 filing and/or should a verbal explanation be given at the interview?

[sorry about the duplication but I posted a similar question on the wrong forum in an old thread and couldn't figure out how to move it here.]

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to China regional forum; topic is country specific.

**Organizer hat off**

If the applicant is a CCP member, for whatever reason, then they must answer accordingly on the DS-230. Once the interview is complete, the case will be placed into AP to await a Security Advisory Opinion.

To answer your question, a written explanation as to why the person is a member should be brought to the interview. You can also provide that written explanation when the DS-230 form is filed; however, doing so will not avoid AP.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Agree with Ryan H.

Consider checking out this other Chinese immigration site. Good discussion about CCP affiliation issues:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/forum/36-consulate-process-p-3-interview/

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Regarding the question about any affiliation with the communist party: Should a potential immigrant from China simply answer yes to this question on the DS-230 (since almost everyone with a decent job/education is in fact a member, even if they are not actively involved with or are officers of the party? If so, should we include a letter of explanation with the DS-230 filing and/or should a verbal explanation be given at the interview?

[sorry about the duplication but I posted a similar question on the wrong forum in an old thread and couldn't figure out how to move it here.]

Ryan is exactly right.

I would like to add that CCP membership might not be as common as you think and is becoming more exclusive. Less than 6% of the population are members and while you are correct that they recruit mostly folks with higher education it's mostly people seeking state affiliated jobs. The Department of State looks closely at party members/former party members seeking immigrant visas and your wife will have to address it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Even if they aren't full blown members of the Communist Party, everyone in China is required to join Pioneers and in later grades the Communist Youth League which may fall under the "affiliated with" part of the language in the question.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Timeline

The Young Pioneers of China an involuntary organization run by the youth league that children are exposed to at school between the ages of 6 and 14. At 14 you are automatically out and if you care to continue your affiliation with the CCP you join the CYL which is for ages 14 to 28. So affiliation with the pioneers is both involuntary and occurs under the age of 16.

Below are some exceptions to being affiliated with or a member of a communist organization or government.

• If the membership is or was involuntary, solely under the age of 16, by operation of law or for the purpose of obtaining employment, food rations or other essential of living. OR
  • The membership or affiliation terminated at least 2 years before application for admission and the applicant is not a threat to US security. OR
  • The Attorney General grants a waiver to a USC spouse for “humanitarian purposes” to assure family unity or when it is otherwise in the public interest if the applicant is not a threat to the security of the US.

If the applicant joined the CCP and paid dues then they would have to answer yes to question 40. ©

One thing I am certain of is that not every applicant from China answers yes.

Timeline

The Young Pioneers of China an involuntary organization run by the youth league that children are exposed to at school between the ages of 6 and 14. At 14 you are automatically out and if you care to continue your affiliation with the CCP you join the CYL which is for ages 14 to 28. So affiliation with the pioneers is both involuntary and occurs under the age of 16.

Below are some exceptions to being affiliated with or a member of a communist organization or government.

• If the membership is or was involuntary, solely under the age of 16, by operation of law or for the purpose of obtaining employment, food rations or other essential of living. OR
  • The membership or affiliation terminated at least 2 years before application for admission and the applicant is not a threat to US security. OR
  • The Attorney General grants a waiver to a USC spouse for “humanitarian purposes” to assure family unity or when it is otherwise in the public interest if the applicant is not a threat to the security of the US.

If the applicant joined the CCP and paid dues then they would have to answer yes to question 40. ©

One thing I am certain of is that not every applicant from China answers yes.

Question #40c asks about an applicant "...who is a member of or affiliatied with the Communist or other totalitarian party...." The word is is in the present tense, as in currently being a member. The question does not specify a time period after which a member quits the party that he is no longer can consider himself a member. Where did you get that 2 years prior to application for admission criteria?

I also assume you meant in the last sentence that not all applicants that are members of the CCP answer yes, and I am sure that is true.

Timeline

Question #40c asks about an applicant "...who is a member of or affiliatied with the Communist or other totalitarian party...." The word is is in the present tense, as in currently being a member. The question does not specify a time period after which a member quits the party that he is no longer can consider himself a member. Where did you get that 2 years prior to application for admission criteria?

I also assume you meant in the last sentence that not all applicants that are members of the CCP answer yes, and I am sure that is true.

You can read the notes on FAM 9 here.

...and I meant what I wrote, no need to assume anything.

Timeline

OK, Operator, I can see where you got the 2 year time period. Thanks for the informative reference. But... I still think that if someone quit the party more recently than 2 years ago, that person can truthfully answer no to question 40. Then, if the subject comes up in the interview, then further (truthful) clarification can be made. What do you guys think??

Timeline

Unsmiley I hope you don't think I'm dogging you on this because it's not my intention at all. I just want to make sure you get good information so that your wife can make the right choice when filling out her visa application.

Here is what 212 (a) of the INA says about communist party affiliation/membership.

(D) Immigrant membership in totalitarian party.-

(i) In general.-Any immigrant who is or has been a member of or affiliated with the Communist or any other totalitarian party (or subdivision or affiliate thereof), domestic or foreign, is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception for involuntary membership.-Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that the membership or affiliation is or was involuntary, or is or was solely when under 16 years of age, by operation of law, or for purposes of obtaining employment, food rations, or other essentials of living and whether necessary for such purposes.

(iii) Exception for past membership.-Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that-

(I) the membership or affiliation terminated at least-

(aa) 2 years before the date of such application, or

(bb) 5 years before the date of such application, in the case of an alien whose membership or affiliation was with the party controlling the government of a foreign state that is a totalitarian dictatorship as of such date, and

(II) the alien is not a threat to the security of the United States.

(iv) Exception for close family members.-The Attorney General may, in the Attorney General's discretion, waive the application of clause (i) in the case of an immigrant who is the parent, spouse, son, daughter, brother, or sister of a citizen of the United States or a spouse, son, or daughter of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence for humanitarian purposes, to assure family unity, or when it is otherwise in the public interest if the immigrant is not a threat to the security of the United States.

You can find it here on the DOS website.

The wording on the DS-230 clearly says IS so it's not really in line with the INA so I feel it's a bit of mine field.

There are lots of posts on here about CCP membership and how the GUZ IV unit handles it. My personal opinion is that if an immigrant visa applicant joined and was a dues paying member of the CCP they will need to be prepared to explain their membership.

If the applicant choses to answer no on the DS-230 based on the wording "is" it shouldn't be a problem. The question will be asked in the interview and at that point they should be prepared with the correct documentation to explain membership and how they quit.

Whatever happens I wish you both good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.