DanielleJon

What forms do Household members fill out to help sponsor? I-864A?

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I (US citizen) do not meet the income requirements to support my husband, so I was going to use my father's income (we live in the same house, and my parents file their taxes as married, filling jointly... I am listed as their dependent).

I know that I must fill out an I-864.

I was going to list my household size as 3 (since I really only need my father's income, even though my mother lives with us as well).

I then was going to have my father fill out the I-864A and send in his tax information.

Two Questions:

1) Am I correct in thinking that my father doesn't have to fill out the I-864, only the I-864A?

2) Since my parents file taxes jointly, must my mother also fill out I-864A? (and would I need to change household size to 4?)

I found some conflicting and confusing information on the internet, so I'd be very appreciative of any help!

Thanks,

Danielle

Father has to fill out i-864 and I-864A if not they will send a check list and make you send the I-864 And then you will have to wait even more for a case complete. Happened to me except i forgot to include the I-864A and also I think you dad is fine but im nit 100% sure. My parents filed together but i used both of there income. Good luck!

6vfvbq73th.png

06/30/2012- A beautiful day indeed...

If I were to use both my parents as income then would i need:

1) I-864 for me

2) I-864 and I-864A for my father

3) I-864 and I-864A for my mother

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Two Questions:

1) Am I correct in thinking that my father doesn't have to fill out the I-864, only the I-864A?

2) Since my parents file taxes jointly, must my mother also fill out I-864A? (and would I need to change household size to 4?)

1) Father fills out I-864, not I-864A

2) If your father meets the threshold on his own, then your mother does not need to fill out an I-864A

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

1) Father fills out I-864, not I-864A

2) If your father meets the threshold on his own, then your mother does not need to fill out an I-864A

This also in my opinion the cleanest way to do it. He doesnt have to do an I -864A just because you live with him. He can do his own I-864 along with your I-864.

Because you are claimed as a dependent on Dad's taxes, you will be in his household count. Be sure and provide some proof of Dad's income like an employer letter because the joint tax return with Mom lumps all income together. They need to clearly see that he earns enough by himself to cover his household + the immigrant.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I appreciate everyone's help, thank you for taking the time to respond. I still am uncertain though.

I don't see why my dad would need to fill out the I-864 since he is a household member. I have my parent's tax returns (including W2's and 1099) for the past three years. Couldn't I just have my mother and father both fill out I-864A's. Their individual W2's for the past three years should be enough to prove their individual incomes, as well as their combined income on the tax return. They are well over the required amount for a household of 4 people, and that's without my income even being considered. Why is it better that my dad fills out an I-864 instead of I-864A? I thought that the difference between the I-864 and the I-864A is that the first is for joint sponsors and the second is for household members. I suppose my father could be a joint sponsor, but why would it be necessary if they've made a slightly easier route to take for household members?

I appreciate everyone's help, thank you for taking the time to respond. I still am uncertain though.

I don't see why my dad would need to fill out the I-864 since he is a household member. I have my parent's tax returns (including W2's and 1099) for the past three years. Couldn't I just have my mother and father both fill out I-864A's. Their individual W2's for the past three years should be enough to prove their individual incomes, as well as their combined income on the tax return. They are well over the required amount for a household of 4 people, and that's without my income even being considered. Why is it better that my dad fills out an I-864 instead of I-864A? I thought that the difference between the I-864 and the I-864A is that the first is for joint sponsors and the second is for household members. I suppose my father could be a joint sponsor, but why would it be necessary if they've made a slightly easier route to take for household members?

You can do it the way you described. The real purpose of doing that is if nobody qualified on their own. Example if you needed $30,000 and each one made $10,000. Nobody qualifies. But if they were family and shared the same home then it could be done like this--

Your I-864

Your income $10k + Mom$10k + Dad $10k = $30,000 household income

My comment was it is my opinion the other way is cleaner. You don't make enough money, you don't own the home, and you are their dependent. It's like the tail wagging the dog.

Let the person who owns the home and makes the most money fill out an I-864 of their own as a joint sponsor. Skip anything from Mom, but send another proof of Dad's Income or point out in writing with a photocopy of his W2 that his separate income is sufficient as shown on this W2. Connect the dots for them. Be sure to include his proof of Us citizenship.

But your preferred way is fine. Either is correct.

You did read the instructions that you also have to add proof that you share the same household and that you are related if you do your way? More documentation from 3 of you.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thank you so much, this was very helpful. I only wanted to do it the way I described because i already had everything together and ready to send. And thanks for reminding me about the proof of relationship, I almost forgot to include it.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.