beacher

10 year green card - now what?

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I'd be so thankful for your help.

My husband now has his 10 year green card. We are living outside the US at this time.

Main question is: how often does he need to come in? Does he need to travel to the US once a year? twice? never?

also, what is my next step now to secure his permanent residence?

All help is greatly appreciated!

--Beacher

A green card is for a person who wishes to live and work in the United States. If you are living outside the United States (with no plans to return) - and you are not abroad on military service - then you are not in compliance with the responsibilities of being a green card holder (top of the list being you have to actually live in the country).

Depending on how long your husband has been present outside of the United States then his green card may already have been invalidated. Green card holders can usually travel overseas up to six months (continuously) without issue. Between six and twelve months it gets more tricky, and CBP would probably want to see proof that you have maintained a domicile in the United States (mortgage payments, lease agreement for a home, maintained a US bank account, etc.). Trips that will be over 1 year but less than 2 years require you to have a re-entry permit (obtained by filing an I-131 before leaving) in order to even be able to apply to be re-admitted to the United States, and you would of course need to prove once more that you have maintained a domicile here with every intention of returning. Trips over two years and your green card has likely already been automatically voided.

In short, when you are spending the majority of your time outside of the United States on a regular basis then you will run into problems. It may not be the first time you try, or even the second, but at some point a CBP officer is going to notice that you are spending more of your time outside the country than inside, and this could result in penalties up to and including the cancellation of his green card.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from AOS to Travelling during Immigration forum ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

A green card is for a person who wishes to live and work in the United States. If you are living outside the United States (with no plans to return) - and you are not abroad on military service - then you are not in compliance with the responsibilities of being a green card holder (top of the list being you have to actually live in the country).

Depending on how long your husband has been present outside of the United States then his green card may already have been invalidated. Green card holders can usually travel overseas up to six months (continuously) without issue. Between six and twelve months it gets more tricky, and CBP would probably want to see proof that you have maintained a domicile in the United States (mortgage payments, lease agreement for a home, maintained a US bank account, etc.). Trips that will be over 1 year but less than 2 years require you to have a re-entry permit (obtained by filing an I-131 before leaving) in order to even be able to apply to be re-admitted to the United States, and you would of course need to prove once more that you have maintained a domicile here with every intention of returning. Trips over two years and your green card has likely already been automatically voided.

In short, when you are spending the majority of your time outside of the United States on a regular basis then you will run into problems. It may not be the first time you try, or even the second, but at some point a CBP officer is going to notice that you are spending more of your time outside the country than inside, and this could result in penalties up to and including the cancellation of his green card.

Yup I agree! Here is the USCIS page regarding being outside the U.S. as a permanent resident: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=0c353a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=0c353a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

I am a lawyer and this is the #1 way people lose their permanent resident card.

I'll add that to even get a reentry permit, you have to prove U.S. domicile. You can't just assume you'l get it and stay protected.

Edited by grrrrreat

Thanks for your replies. Thing is, we have an apt and a bank acct in the US; just now, we are living abroad.

Is there a difference between the first green card and the 10 year one in terms of how often we need to travel to the US?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

N o difference (other than with the 2 year, you need to be there for ROC). Having a bank account etc can help for the first couple of entries, but as mentioned above, the greencard is to LIVE in the USA, not travel there occasionally.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your replies. Thing is, we have an apt and a bank acct in the US; just now, we are living abroad.

Is there a difference between the first green card and the 10 year one in terms of how often we need to travel to the US?

If you've made your permanent home outside of the U.S., you've abandoned your permanent resident status. This is the rule--there's no "how often we need to travel to the US" and it doesn't matter whether you have a 10-year card or not.

Eventually you will be denied entry and asked to surrender your Green Card.

I had this same question. We are not avoiding living in the US, it is just taking us longer than expected to make the move. We will have spent about 6-12 months outside the US since the first entry (when the Visa in the passport was the only thing we had).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.