ginmartini

late for filing removal of conditions

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi all,

This is my first post, so please forgive me if I say or do something in a way that is not accepted. I hope I will learn along the way.

I have participated in the immigration process for a while, from having an F-1 visa to a Green Card. But it isn't until now that I felt the need to read the forums.

My green card expired on 4/30/2012. I didn't mail my packet until 5/2/2012 and I'm pretty sure they were received the next day. I know (I'll probably get yelled at) this was dumb on my part, but I am convinced my mind played a trick on me. So I went and looked where my husband and I keep all our papers a few months back and I guess all I cared to look at was the paper that came with the card. On it it lists some date at the end of May. So in my mind, that's when my GC expired. Silly, I know, considering I have the GC in my wallet at all times. Anyway, I had already asked friends to write affidavits for us and thankfully had them on the night of 5/1/2012 when I was looking for SOMETHING ELSE and something made me look at my GC. It was hell from then on when I realized my date had already passed. My husband didn't know what to do with me cause I was crying and panicking and for a few minutes I felt my brain almost shut down.

After I recovered, I gathered all my stuff and we put it all in an envelope and I took it to the post office the next day. Done. So I was technically 2 days late. So now what? Should I really panic? Also, after reviewing all the stuff I've received from USCIS I realize I don't think I ever got a response from my latest change of address (last July, my husband did get one for him) and I don't remember what piece of paper said I had to go to my interview from when we filed I-485 (we went and all that, and got the GC so it shouldn't matter, but still)

So I guess I'm here looking for people who can tell me they were late, and everything was OK. I already know of the worst case scenario and I have read the instructions saying what happens if you file late, so I don't need to look at that anymore.

Thanks for reading.

--Ginmartini

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did you include a letter stating why you are filing after expiration? Its one of the required items when filing late.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Did you include a letter stating why you are filing after expiration? Its one of the required items when filing late.

I did. I didn't say much so as not to bore the person reading plus I didn't really have a long explanation. I said the truth, that I was under the impression my due date was the end of May, and that I understood it was not an extraordinary reason to miss a deadline, to understand we wouldn't file late on purpose and that we were sorry. That's kinda what we said. I mean it has to be clear it's human error, considering one of the affidavits was dated to before the expiration date (cause I was convinced I was doing it all in a timely manner).

--Ginmartini

event.png

I did. I didn't say much so as not to bore the person reading plus I didn't really have a long explanation. I said the truth, that I was under the impression my due date was the end of May, and that I understood it was not an extraordinary reason to miss a deadline, to understand we wouldn't file late on purpose and that we were sorry. That's kinda what we said. I mean it has to be clear it's human error, considering one of the affidavits was dated to before the expiration date (cause I was convinced I was doing it all in a timely manner).

Mailing late causes "Detour" in the process & gives you headache. In the end, you will be approved, nothing to worry.

If you give a good excuse then IO accepts your late-filing, of course it depends on his/her discretion.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you have to explain your reasons (of filing I-751 late) before an immigration judge. Good luck !... Please keep us posted...

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good that you included it. You should be ok since it was only a couple days. Hopefully you get an understanding case manager not a jerk one.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Good that you included it. You should be ok since it was only a couple days. Hopefully you get an understanding case manager not a jerk one.

I hope so too. Now that I was looking at all my USCIS papers I noticed why I was convinced it was the end of May. The letter in which the actual GC comes, has a date of 05/27, which means I got my GC almost a whole month after the day I actually got my permanent residency. I wish I had included that in my letter. Sigh.

I will keep you posted and thanks again for reading and being encouraging.

--Ginmartini

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I hope so too. Now that I was looking at all my USCIS papers I noticed why I was convinced it was the end of May. The letter in which the actual GC comes, has a date of 05/27, which means I got my GC almost a whole month after the day I actually got my permanent residency. I wish I had included that in my letter. Sigh.

I will keep you posted and thanks again for reading and being encouraging.

hopefully you will be ok. usually the date of the interview is the date on the green card since technically that's why you get approved. best of luck and keep us posted.

event.png

Timeline

hopefully you will be ok. usually the date of the interview is the date on the green card since technically that's why you get approved. best of luck and keep us posted.

Oh my! I just checked my bank account and they cashed the check today 5/8/12. Since it is 2:30 in the morning I will assume they cashed it yesterday and it's showing up on my account today. SO nervous wacko.gif

--Ginmartini

event.png

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Oh my! I just checked my bank account and they cashed the check today 5/8/12. Since it is 2:30 in the morning I will assume they cashed it yesterday and it's showing up on my account today. SO nervous wacko.gif

That's good news, cashed check means they've accepted your packet.

Usually for late filing without the required explanation of late filing they just return the whole packet as rejected.

That's good news, cashed check means they've accepted your packet.

Usually for late filing without the required explanation of late filing they just return the whole packet as rejected.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but USCIS sometimes take the money & reject ROC due to late filing. I have seen this in my co-worker's situation !.......

How late was your co-worker and what was his or her excuse? I now kinda wish I hadn't seen your response--I'm freaking out again.

He was late by 10 days, but does not matter, 1 day or 1 year, LATE IS LATE !...

He & his wife had to go to Immigration Court in Newark, NJ.

In the end, Immigration Judge has removed her condition without re-filing ROC.

Timeline

You guys!!!!

I got the 1 yr extension!!!! This is insane. I thought I was gonna have to wait longer. Just seeing the envelope in the mailbox this early on actually freaked me out. I thought it was gonna say something bad.

Happy dance kicking.gifkicking.gifkicking.gif

--Ginmartini

event.png

You guys!!!!

I got the 1 yr extension!!!! This is insane. I thought I was gonna have to wait longer. Just seeing the envelope in the mailbox this early on actually freaked me out. I thought it was gonna say something bad.

You are just lucky. Congrats !...... I guess like I said before it depends on discretion of the IO who has handled your case.

You guys!!!!

Grats, i'm glad to see things went ok, now come and join us other May filers here;

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/364198-i-751-may-2012-filers/

We can count that days together :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.