Benlead

DHL, Fedex, UPS, or US post office Manila?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We used usps with tracking number several times no problem.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Everytime I try to send something to my fiance with the post office to Mexico it gets lost. She sent me the required documents for our package on December 14th via post office before we knew how they were. I received them 2 days ago... LONG after I considered them lost and gone. We then retook new passport photos, signed and dated all brand new forms/letters and used FedEx. They were here in 3 days. Ever since I have only used FedEx, they are WAY better than the mail system! Not to mention the trackability of their stuff compared to post office mail is exceptional.

It is just my opinion, but don't even THINK about using your post office for important documents etc back and forth between you two. Use a certified courier like FedEx and always get signature required. The little extra monep spent will help with the possible sleepless nights you will get from wondering when and where the package is.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

After I paid too much for DHL and fedex once many years ago I said never again. I have stuck to USPS for all my immigration documents within the United States and to Africa and it has NOT failed me. It gets there within three business days and VERY CHEAP too. abt $19.00 for EXPRESS mailing within U.S and $29.95 for EXPRESS mailing to Nigeria.

We tend to look down on USPS because it is govt run but they have been efficient in my experience...so why pay more?

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

I just thought of something because as with any question, there will always be 500 different points of views, based on their individual experience. If it were me, starting all over again with the knowledge I have learned over the years of mailing to my fiance back and forth it would be this.

If the documents are that incredibly important and literally life changing for all of us as they are, why not make duplicates of everything and use two of them, to be sure they receive what they need?

Is just an idea, but I know for a fact, I will personally use this method when I send my fiance her packets for her interview when that time comes. One of them is bound to be successful. I would rather raise the odds of her getting what she needs, for the extra 10-20 dollars it cost me. The mail system has totally failed us 100% of the time so far. FedEx has never let me down yet. But we all know Murhpy's law will kick in at some point so better to be extra ready, then fail something you could have potentially avoided.

If you are sending visa-related documents from the U.S. to the Philippines, don't use the USPS. Once the documents get to the Philippines, they are turned over to the Philippines Postal Service, and we all know what that means... :clock::ranting::clock::oops:

Fedex is the only way to go the Philippines with your immigration papers. You might save when you ship via USPS, but once in country its subject to the Philippines postal service which is getting really bad with demanding outrageous "customs fees" which they will give no receipt for. My wife was charged 4000P to be allowed to have one such document package last summer. After I had paid the USPS, it would have been cheaper sending via Fedex, and much faster to. All further documents I sent were all via Fedex. Very fast and no issues with ransom demands.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
We tend to look down on USPS because it is govt run but they have been efficient in my experience...so why pay more?

USPS isn't the issue here, which I'm sure everyone can agree is highly reliable; it is handed off to the Philippines postal system once it reaches there. And, they like to supplement their income by stealing thing as they work, especially if they see the origin of the package is from USA. And, just because you put nothing they can get money for in there doesn't mean they will bother re-sealing your package and sending it along its way once they realize there is nothing there -- they dispose of the evidence, and no more package for you!

Even a private courier can use dirty tricks... one tried to make my recipient cough up $200 for the balikbayan box (which cost $100 to ship), making a bogus claim of "well we didn't know the package was actually going to Mindanao even though it says so right on the box -- that price only covers to Manila." It took a bunch of threats and throwing a fit to convince them to back down and continue the delivery.

FedEx has always worked well for me. I just sent one, took 5 days to get to Malaybalay City, although it left FedEx's hands once it reaches Manila (not sure who that courier was).

FedEx has always worked well for me. I just sent one, took 5 days to get to Malaybalay City, although it left FedEx's hands once it reaches Manila (not sure who that courier was).

I think FedEx still uses Air21. In any case, they are reliable.

Timeline

I live in Texas. I am actually sending evidence to my fiance who is in Cebu. The problem is that in the past when I sent her cards, letters, gifts, it takes at least one month for her to get them. I have just been approved for NO2 and wanted to send her the K1 evidence package. I do not want to use USPS. I am willing to use Fedex or DHL which ever is cheaper. Thank you for your advise.

Timeline

I just checked on my package. It is going to coast me 112 dollars to send my files. Ridiculous! FedEx!

USCIS

28 JUL 11 SENT I129F PACKAGE

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

05 AUG 11 NOA 1 NOTICE DATE

07 AUG 11 CHECK CASHED $340 *OUCH*

14 AUG 11 RECEIVED RETURN RECEIPT FROM USPS

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

19 DEC 11 LETTER FROM NVC STATING THE PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO MANILA

127 DAYS BETWEEN NOA 1 & NOA 2.

MANILA EMBASSY

13 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 SINGLE LETTER (QUENNY)

27 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 COPY TO ME HERE IN STATES

29 JAN 12 SENT MONEY $350 FOR VISA APPLICATION

30 JAN 12 MADE VISA APPOINTMENT

06 FEB 12 SENT PAPERS FOR VISA INTERVIEW (4.2lbs Through DHL, $140)

09 FEB 12 SENT MONEY FOR INTERVIEW & SEMINAR

13 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 1

14 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 2

05 MAR 12 VISA INTERVIEW AT MANILA, PHILIPPINES

Timeline

I am using a 1.5 inch binder that is completely full, and it has lots of pages and sheet protectors that make it weigh down but I think it will be like 2.5 to 3 pounds, I need to find someone cheap, 112 dollars is hurting me especially when i have to dish out another 215 for medical soon.

USCIS

28 JUL 11 SENT I129F PACKAGE

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

05 AUG 11 NOA 1 NOTICE DATE

07 AUG 11 CHECK CASHED $340 *OUCH*

14 AUG 11 RECEIVED RETURN RECEIPT FROM USPS

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

19 DEC 11 LETTER FROM NVC STATING THE PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO MANILA

127 DAYS BETWEEN NOA 1 & NOA 2.

MANILA EMBASSY

13 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 SINGLE LETTER (QUENNY)

27 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 COPY TO ME HERE IN STATES

29 JAN 12 SENT MONEY $350 FOR VISA APPLICATION

30 JAN 12 MADE VISA APPOINTMENT

06 FEB 12 SENT PAPERS FOR VISA INTERVIEW (4.2lbs Through DHL, $140)

09 FEB 12 SENT MONEY FOR INTERVIEW & SEMINAR

13 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 1

14 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 2

05 MAR 12 VISA INTERVIEW AT MANILA, PHILIPPINES

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.