M J Woods

K3 gone, now only IR1? What do we do?

4 posts in this topic

Okay, I'm really confused about this post-February 1, 2010 change. I had read up on everything we would need to do to get a K3 visa for my lovely husband, but I checked the K3 forum here and it appears that the K3 is, for all practical intents and purposes, dead. We've sent the I-130 and our check was cashed (we're both overseas right now so we still haven't received the NOA1), but what do we do now? Should we still go ahead and file the I-129f? Or is that unnecessary if we're going the IR1 route? I'd like to get things done in as timely a fashion as we can (obviously), but I don't know where to go from here. Maybe it's the lack of sleep? We have the case number (got it off the back of the check), but can we actually do anything without the physical NOA1?

As a secondary question, assuming the Turkish postal system screws up (not at all unlikely) and doesn't deliver the NOA1, can we request a duplicate somehow? A month from now I'll be back in the U.S. where the postal system is generally reliable.

Many thanks.

Married: March 16, 2010
Sent I-130: March 31, 2010
NOA1: April 21, 2010
Check cashed: April 22, 2010
Touched: April 23, 2010
NOA2: October 2, 2010
DONE with USCIS

NVC Received: October 27, 2010
Received DS-3032/I-864 bill: October 30, 2010
Paid I-864 bill: November 3, 2010
I-864 bill shows as PAID: November 5, 2010
Receive I-864 package: ????
Return completed I-864: ????
Return completed DS-3032 (email): November 4, 2010
Return completed DS-3032 (mail mail): November 24, 2010
Receive IV bill: ????
Pay IV bill: ????

ENTERED US: August 17, 2011

Removal of Conditions

Mail package to California Service Center: ????

Receive NOA: ????

Biometrics appointment: ????

Conditions removed: ????

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Okay, I'm really confused about this post-February 1, 2010 change. I had read up on everything we would need to do to get a K3 visa for my lovely husband, but I checked the K3 forum here and it appears that the K3 is, for all practical intents and purposes, dead. We've sent the I-130 and our check was cashed (we're both overseas right now so we still haven't received the NOA1), but what do we do now? Should we still go ahead and file the I-129f? Or is that unnecessary if we're going the IR1 route? I'd like to get things done in as timely a fashion as we can (obviously), but I don't know where to go from here. Maybe it's the lack of sleep? We have the case number (got it off the back of the check), but can we actually do anything without the physical NOA1?

As a secondary question, assuming the Turkish postal system screws up (not at all unlikely) and doesn't deliver the NOA1, can we request a duplicate somehow? A month from now I'll be back in the U.S. where the postal system is generally reliable.

Many thanks.

Contrary to popular assumptions I don't think K3 is dead. It's dead if both your 129f and 130 arrived at the NVC the same time. Which in all practical purposes doesn't make sense to go K3 ( since CR1 is now running about the same speed ).

However, if your situation is like mine, where my wife and I both work in her home country, we made the decision to move forward with K3 for the purpose of obtaing her the quickest visa to visit the U.S. for two years. For the first year or so we didn't do anything with the 130 approval and we continued to work overseas together and we let the 130 approval idle at NVC. About a day or two before our 2nd year anniversary I activated our 130 at NVC by filing affidavit of support and proceeded with the immigrant visa process. This was about two months ago.

TWo days ago my wife and I showed appeared at her interview and was approved for a IR1 visa, which entitles her to a 10 year greencard and social security card the next time we enter the U.S.

It was a strategic decision on our part to be able to acheive the following objectives:

1. work and live together in her home country.

2. obtain a quick visa..ie..K3.

3. Multiple entry privilege into U.S. for two years.

4. Less overall cost than filing K3 and adjutsing status after entering the U.S.

5. No need to lift conditions in two years since she will be issued a 10 year green card.

6. Her interview took no more than 3 minutes. It was quick and easy.

If our situation parallels that of yours I would look into filing your petitions so that the 129f and 130 do not arrive at NVC the same time.

When we did ours we filed both petitions simultaneously. And we intentionally wanted both petitions to be approved at about the same time and they were. But we intentionally let the 130 idle at NVC until past our two year anniversary.

There is no right or wrong way, and there is no absolute answer. Everything is subject to your personal circumstances.

Best wishes to your journey.

**** filed K3/CR1 concurrently. My wife and I both work/live overseas. The following timeline continues from the approval of the K3 VISA.

Our journey
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115855

NVC rec'd 130/ assigned case# 5-15-08
Called to request online payment ID# 5-18-08
Rec'd ds 3032/AOS bill by USPS 5-19-08
Rec'd email Online ID# for payment of AOS and DS3032 5-21-08
Returned ds 3032 by USPS during wife visit to U.S. on K3--5-29-09
Paid AOS online: 7-05-09 ( While in Cambodia )
Rec'd email to pay IV bill 7-7-09
Paid IV bill online 7-08-09
Mailed I-864 2-16-10
I- 864 delivered 2-18-10
Mailed DS 230 2-22-10
Ds 230 delivered 2-24-10
AVR says "NVC is awaiting biographic info from petitioner" 2-24-10
AVR says, "NVC has received the info checklist requested." NVC HAS ENTERED DS-230 INTO COMPUTER 3-01-10
SIF: 3-08-10
AVR Case Complete: 3-09-10
Rec'd interview email/date: 3-15-10
Medical: 4-09-10
INTERVIEW( less than 5 minutes ): 4-26-10 APPROVED
Pickup Visa: 4-30-10
POE: LAX 5/31/10
Overnight REENTRY Permit app: 6/01/10
Rec'd SS: 6-10-10
Rec'd Welcome to USA Letter + Green Card Tracking #: 6-14-10
Rec'd NOA1 letter + receipt # for reentry permit: 6-14-10
Rec'd 10 Yr. GC: 6-21-10
Rec'd Bio appt for reentry permit 7-18-10 but changed to 6-28-10 thru INFOpass: 6-25-10
REentry touches: 9-6-10, 9-29-10, 10-4-10
Rec'd email Reentry mailed 10-07-10
Rec'd reentry permit 10-09-10 ( 4 mths 1 wk )

Naturalized 04/2016

Received US Passport 05/2016

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Many thanks.

If you want an IR1 visa, there's never been any reason to file an I-129F. If you do so now, it will just slow down your I-130 processing and then end up being administratively closed by NVC.

It is PURE speculation to suggest that you can get USCIS to hold back your I-130 and forward only the I-129F. I would never advise anybody to pay $355 and wait months to find out. If your spouse intends to immigrate ASAP, IR1 is the superior choice now and for the past three years.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I dunno - IMO, the IR-1 is a superior visa, when comparing K-3, CR-1, IR-1.

If yer up for an IR-1 visa, I say go for it.

re: NOA-1

--what address was used for the petitioner? usually, that's where the NOA-1 is sent

--check cashed, you say? review the front and back of it, in yer online banking portal, the NOA-1 receipt # / USCIS casenumber is there.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.