JKD_88

Marrying First Cousin

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am marrying my first cousin, who is from Brazil. Please no rude comments, it really isn't a big deal at all to marry your first cousin. In my state it's perfectly legal to marry your first cousin and my lawyer didn't mention anything as far as denial goes so I was just wondering...do any of you think that us being first cousins will be a reason for us to be denied? :unsure: I really hope not.

Thank you

October 9, 2007- VSC received I-129F

October 17, 2007- I received I-797C (NOA1)

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 14, 2008- Request for more evidence

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 26, 2008- RFE arrived at VSC

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 7, 2008- NOA2 e-mail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

March 14, 2008- Received at NVC

March 15, 2008- I received NOA2 Hard Copy

April 9, 2008- Fiance received Packet

April 10, 2008- I received Packet from consulate

May 16, 2008- Went to Brazil to be with my fiance and do the interview with her

May 30, 2008- INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

June, 9, 2008- Visa Arrived

June 17, 2008- Fly home together

September 6, 2008- Marriage Ceremony

September 9, 2008- Got Legally Married on paper

September 18, 2008- I-94 expired

January 15, 2009- Sent AOS papers to Lawyer

January 23, 2009- Received more papers from Lawer that needed to be signed

February 6, 2009- Filed AOS

February 10, 2009- AOS NOA1

February 14, 2009- Received appointment paper for Biometrics

March 5, 2009- Biometrics appointment

April 25, 2009- Received I-131

April 29, 2009- Received EAD

May, 2, 2009- Received appointment paper

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If it is legal in your state, then I don't believe that it will be a problem in terms of eligibility. However, you may be scrutinized more closely at the consulate during the interview - they'll want to verify that you're not pretending to be in a relationship with your cousin so that she can immigrate. Make sure you have plenty of evidence of a bona fide relationship.

Timeline
I suggest you both be prepared to explain/show how this is a true relationship and not a family effort to get her a US visa.

What kind of proof can we show, we've done everything my lawyer has suggested, sent photos, I've visited her on a number of occasions, what more can we do?

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

Timeline
I suggest you both be prepared to explain/show how this is a true relationship and not a family effort to get her a US visa.

What kind of proof can we show, we've done everything my lawyer has suggested, sent photos, I've visited her on a number of occasions, what more can we do?

Does your evidence make it clear that you are more than just cousins? A lot of people make visits to family and take pictures with them. It doesn't mean they are in a romantic relationship.

Timeline

Does your evidence make it clear that you are more than just cousins? A lot of people make visits to family and take pictures with them. It doesn't mean they are in a romantic relationship.

we have pictures of us kissing but other than that, how can we prove our relationship through pictures?

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

Timeline
Badly wants Charles and Nessa's popcorn icon for this one

Everyone has access to that icon. It's in the VJ smiley list.

we have pictures of us kissing but other than that, how can we prove our relationship through pictures?

You can and should have other evidence besides pictures - letters, chat transcripts, phone records, etc.

Timeline

You can and should have other evidence besides pictures - letters, chat transcripts, phone records, etc.

Yeah I sent all that to my lawyer, I sent some e-mails and some of our conversations through MSN messenger

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

Take your popcorn back to Off Topic. This member has a concern and we would do best to answer the legitimate immigration questions asked vs trying to turn it into something else. Thank you.

Filed: Timeline

It was a joke :yes:

Timeline

Yeah I sent all that to my lawyer, I sent some e-mails and some of our conversations through MSN messenger

All of the evidence of a bona fide relationship does not need to be sent with the petition. Your lawyer should know this. All they are concerned about at this level is whether you are both eligible to marry and you have met within the past two years. Once USCIS approves the petition and you are at the interview stage - that is when you need to show evidence of a relationship. Your fiancee will have to bring all of the evidence to the consulate for the interview. It sounds like you have the evidence you need, just make sure your fiancee is prepared for additional scrutiny because you are cousins.

I am marrying my first cousin, who is from Brazil. Please no rude comments, it really isn't a big deal at all to marry your first cousin. In my state it's perfectly legal to marry your first cousin and my lawyer didn't mention anything as far as denial goes so I was just wondering...do any of you think that us being first cousins will be a reason for us to be denied? :unsure: I really hope not.

Thank you

How USCIS will know that she is your first cousin?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thank you

No problem. You must both be free to marry in the jurisdiction you plan to marry. Laws of other States are of no consequence in this matter. You might face some additional scrutiny of bona fides at the interview, so be prepared.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.