My husband is almost done with his immigration (CR1 is under review for sensitive work field). We would like his parents to visit, but unsure what's the best strategy.
Generally it's good to have a few visas to other countries, good jobs and property in home country. His parents don't like to travel much, so far we only convinced them to visit Greece, working on sending them to France or Czech Republic this year. They live in Russia, they are both past retirement age, but still working at the same jobs for many years. They have cars, houses and land, they have savings and a decent income. Their entire family, including an older son and grandchildren live in Russia too, they see each other very often. My husband is the only odd one who is about to move :)
Our options for their visa are:
1. Apply now, while the case is pending, have "sightseeing" as a purpose for the trip. I am not sure, if their son is not in the US, do they have to mention their daughter in law is? This is the shakiest idea in my mind.
2. Wait for my husband's visa to be approved, then list him in the application and have a purpose of the trip "to see where their son will live" because it's the first time he is in a different city from them and they are worried. Plan to go as soon as he moves.
3. Get a visa to a European country this year, visit and come back, then plan a trip to the US next Summer. Same thing: their son moved, they want to see how he lives now. Difference from #2 is an extra visa and a trip.
4. Apply for a visa separately - first one parent visits, then another. It gives an extra tie to the home country, but doesn't make much sense because they don't have a good reason not to travel together. It may seem odd to CO.
What are the chances with idea #2? His parents really don't like to travel, but if they get denied the first time, they will get discouraged and will not apply again for a very long time :( Also his mother wants to retire and plans to do so every year. I am concerned if she applies for a visa after she retires, chances to be denied are higher.
What would you advise to do?