I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the following:
- I married my wife, a US citizen, in July 2013 in New Zealand. We filed I-130 in August 2013, received NOA-2 in February, and now have been assigned a NVC case number.
- I'm from New Zealand, but both my wife and I are currently in Australia. She's on a 1 year working holiday visa. We thought this would be the best way to stay together while my visa processing.
- She is not working at the moment. Her father, who lives with her in America, is willing to help me out with my I-184 as either a joint sponsor or by filling out an I-1864a.
- I'm very confused about the difference between the I-1864a and joint sponsorship. We essentially need my wife's father's income to cover my requirements. But what's the best option for us?
- It looks like to me like the best option is joint sponsorship, but I was wondering if there are any guidelines for that. Does he (joint sponsor) have to be related to me? Does he has to be living in the same house as my wife?
- Additionally: if we go the joint sponsorship route, we are unsure about which address to put for my wife, because she's here in Australia only temporarily. Should both the mailing address and residence address be her American address, or should we put down her American address for mailing and our temp Australian address for residence? How will this impact us?
Thank you so much.