From my understanding, the 3rd travel ban (Proclamation 9645 issued 9/24/2017 and going into force 12/4/2017 after the U.S. Supreme Court stayed preliminary injunctions issued by U.S. District Courts in Hawaii and Maryland) in effect currently prohibits K1 (and IR1 and CR1) visas from being issued for Iranians to the U.S. A waiver process is an exception to the rule but according to news articles, Senator Jeff Flake wrote in a letter to the State Department stating they'd received reports that there was a "near uniform denial of waivers for visas." In the meantime amicus briefs have been filed by 16 states, many cities, and others against the travel ban and the Supreme Court is set to hear arguments on the case starting April 25 in just over a week. On top of all of this, President Trump has stated his goal of withdrawing from the 2015 Iranian nuclear deal by May 12 unless it can be renegotiated, and violence has recently escalated once again in Syria.
At this point with nothing for certain, I'm not sure what my fianc e in Iran and I can plan on doing. It doesn't seem to be of any use starting the K-1 process until the travel ban is decided on by the Supreme Court. The only option for us to be together at this point seems to be living together in a foreign country, and marry there, or move to Iran which was not originally in our plans. One concern about marriage in a foreign county was my impression that CR1 visas took longer to process than K1 visas (though at the moment both aren't possible). She would like to continue her graduate studies towards a doctorate and Germany has been a first choice because of of programs that accommodate foreign students. We've also discussed her studying here in the U.S. and I've noted that student visas are still being accepted, though travel back and forth between the U.S. and Iran for Iranian students seems to be restricted.
At this point, just throwing my situation out here for the community. Maybe others in a similar boat can chime in, or anyone else with feedback.