Sorry about the long post, I wanted to make the situation clear.
Before anything, please don't patronize me, I'm already beating myself up enough!
So I had my medical on the 3rd and my interview on the 4th. I was approved, and the consul said that when my medical got there the visa would be issued (if everything was ok, of course). He said that it should be in my hands in 2 weeks.
I looked at Brazil K-1 VJ timelines and it seemed that everyone got theirs in 1 week.
For personal and complicated reasons, my family and I decided to buy the tickets already - for the 26th, Wednesday. No refunds, no rescheduling. For my mother, my brother and I.
Well, my visa status had an update on the 12th and one yesterday, the 19th. Still on AP. Two days ago I got an e-mail from the consulate (because I had asked) saying that the visa is still pending approval because it is waiting on my medical.
The doctor provided me a tracking number. Everything was delivered to the consulate on the 6th.
If my visa is not issued tomorrow, I don't have a chance of getting it in time. Tomorrow is already risky.
Today is a Brazilian holiday and out of all the US consulates, only the Rio one is closed.
They don't take phone calls about immigrant visas. Only e-mails, and that's 3 days to respond.
Tomorrow morning my fiance will try to call and see if they talk to him.
Lesson learned - if you're thinking of doing that, DON'T.
Now my question is: I know they advise you not to make any trip arrangements before you have your visa. But if we told them so, could that do any harm? Could they purposefully delay my visa or something like that, or the worst I can get is a "we told you so"?
I doubt that anyone possibly has an accurate answer, but I'd appreciate opinions.