Susan&Aziz

Age difference a problem for K-1 Approval

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all!

We sent in the I-129F on January 9, 2006 and they sent notice January 12. We are spending tons of hours every week on MSN. I am so grateful for the technology that enables us to see each other and stay in touch, but even so, am missing Aziz terribly.

My brother happens to be going through this same process of bringing his fiancee overseas but has more moola so has decided to hire an attorney. He freaked me out momentarily today telling me his attorney said a big age difference between fiancees can be a factor in making it difficult to be approved. Aziz is 27 and I am 49.

I have included LOTS of documentation proving our relationship is "real". Aziz and I have known each other for 6 years and I lived near where he did all during that time.

We are crazy about each other and best friends besides. I don't know what we'll do if he can't get approved to come here. Me living there is an unlikely option for economic reasons. Without going into details, our romantic relationship resulted in both of us losing our jobs there, and the part of Morocco he is from is very economically depressed.

Any experiences from anyone out there?

Thanks!

Marry_me.mov

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
his attorney said a big age difference between fiancees can be a factor in making it difficult to be approved. Aziz is 27 and I am 49.

"Can be a factor" kind of a trueish statement....but its not that uncommon and lots of couples with age differences come through the process just fine

I have included LOTS of documentation proving our relationship is "real". Aziz and I have known each other for 6 years and I lived near where he did all during that time.

This will probably weigh a lot more than the age difference, and in a really good way. However, one thing that I think catches CO's attention is patterns. You mentioned your brother's situation. If your fiances are related, that could be something that causes them to be more critical of both of you.

Many. the Middle East/North Africa room has several k1s going trough Morocco. See you there?

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It can be a problem and I know they look at this in Morocco. Lately people arent having to good of luck with K1 in Morocco. But remember there is other ways besides K1 visas you have CR-1 and K3. Dont worry to much but learn as much as you can.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I think it all depends on the Country, Embassy, and who the Officer doing the interview is whether the age difference matters or not. And also which is older the male or female in the relationship. I am 15 years older than my fiance. He is from India, where that is not the "norm". We had not even gave our age difference a second thought as being a problem until we found this site just before his interview on Nov. 15.

Another lady on vj was going thru the same thing and her fiance was from India. They were giving her a hard time because of the age difference. It had already been 8 months since his interview and still no visa. So of course this gave us some nerves. We quickly prepared more proof of evidence, and I wrote a letter explaining our love for each other despite our age differences.

Interview day came, the first interviewer was a lady. She was horrible. She said such mean things to my fiance about our age differences. She asked him "how could you possibly feel attracted to her?" His reply, "it isnt attraction, its Love." There were other nasty things she said, but they are not worth repeating. After that he was interviewed by two others, both men, and they did not make any issue out of it at all .

Just be prepared to defend ur age differences, have plenty of proof of ur ongoig relationship.. And be totally honest about everything. The embassy even called me on the day of my fiances interview and interviewed me over the phone for almost an hour. There were a few questions i didnt know the answer too ....one being "what was the name of your fiances college" I answered truthfully... I cant pronouce most of ur names, ask me who his friends were during his college days,, ask me what he studied, ask me what was some of his "antics" he pulled.. I can answer. but I dont know the name of the school. " Honesty is always the best policy!! that is never more true than when dealing with immigration. And btw he didnt ask me one question about our age

Best of luck to you... I hope your journey is "snaggle " free, and you are soon with your loved one.

Vick/Bala

10/2002 Met in yahoo chat

10/2004 Romance blossoms

04/2005 Went to india, spent two wonderful weeks together

06/11/05 Sent petition

06/22/05 1st NOA received

09/12/05 2nd NOA received

11/15/05 Interview: request for additional information from me.

11/30/05 Got notice that we were Placed on Administrative Processing

03/04/06 Going to visit with my boo!

04/08/06 Back home (sigh) back to waiting again.

06/15/06 7 months on AP (will this ever end?)

07/06/06 called for second interview (it was a nightmare)

07/14/06 learned our petition was sent back

07/15/06 ready to carry on the fight!!!!

10/17/06 petition is back at USCIS

God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away,

who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Filed: Timeline

Susan,

The attorney is correct. Age difference is one piece of a jig-saw puzzle, the decision will be based on what the picture looks like when all of the pieces have been assembled.

Some questions you and Aziz might want to ask yourselves about your situation, because the consular officer may ask the same questions and Aziz will need to be able to address them.

- How common is it for a Moroccon man to marry a woman who is older than himself?

- How common is it for a Moroccon man to marry a woman who is as old as his mother?

- How common is it for a man from an economically depressed area of Morocco to try to immigrate to the USA by whatever means he can?

- How common is it for a man who's lost his job in an economically depressed area of Morocco to try to immigrate to the USA by whatever means he can?

Yodrak

Hi all!

We sent in the I-129F on January 9, 2006 and they sent notice January 12. We are spending tons of hours every week on MSN. I am so grateful for the technology that enables us to see each other and stay in touch, but even so, am missing Aziz terribly.

My brother happens to be going through this same process of bringing his fiancee overseas but has more moola so has decided to hire an attorney. He freaked me out momentarily today telling me his attorney said a big age difference between fiancees can be a factor in making it difficult to be approved. Aziz is 27 and I am 49.

We are crazy about each other and best friends besides. I don't know what we'll do if he can't get approved to come here. Me living there is an unlikely option for economic reasons. Without going into details, our romantic relationship resulted in both of us losing our jobs there, and the part of Morocco he is from is very economically depressed.

Thanks!

From the Adjudicators Field Manual regarding items indicating an invalid relationship:

Some indications that a marriage may have been contracted solely for immigration benefits include:

• Large disparity of age;

• Inability of petitioner and beneficiary to speak each other's language;

• Vast difference in cultural and ethnic background;

• Family and/or friends unaware of the marriage;

• Marriage arranged by a third party;

• Marriage contracted immediately following the beneficiary's apprehension or receipt of notification to depart the United States;

• Discrepancies in statements on questions for which a husband and wife should have common knowledge;

• No cohabitation since marriage;

• Beneficiary is a friend of the family;

• Petitioner has filed previous petitions in behalf of aliens, especially prior alien spouses.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

These days in Morocco even age differences of less than 10 years seem to be causing difficulty for K1 approvals.

Unfortunately it seems that Morocco is gaining reputation as a fraud country, particularly because of younger Moroccan men marrying older American women. True or not, I think the consulate is starting to get the idea that older, often divorced women, are finding young Moroccan men who are looking for more economic opportunity in the US. Possibly unbeknownst to the American women, the idea is that these young Moroccans are using the women to get green cards. I also think that internet relationships are not getting good approval rates these days.

You should consider these issues before making your decision, however unfair it may seem, or however much you know your relationship is real. You don't want to be rejected because you happen to have some characteristics to your case that might raise red flags.

The age difference seems to be the biggest.

My recommendation to the OP would be to check out the Middle East/North Africa regional subforum. K-1 refusals seem to be as common as sand in Morocco, unfortunately.

I would think you will need VERY strong evidence of a valid relationship at your interview, only because I have read some real horror stories about a certain CO in Casablanca. The age difference + the economic factors = a very difficult case in Casablanca.

Good luck.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Susan & Aziz,

I hope the age difference does not hinder your K-1 approval. :thumbs:

Good luck,

Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I hope it all works out for you

Best of luck

Alison (F)

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Many trips between US, Canada & Europe.

March 31 During a meeting in Vancouver, John proposed & I said YES!!!

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Aug 22 Email notification of NOA2.

Sep 12 Received letter to say application would be forwarded to US Embassy.

Nov 23 Returned packet 3 to Embassy

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 1 Interview. APPROVED!

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 6 Sent AOS application

May 7 Honeymoon

May 23 NOA date for AOS, EAD & AP

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 15 RFE for AOS mailed

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 14 Interview. Success!

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 08 I-751 to remove conditions sent to CSC

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Jan 12 Received greencard

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to share and for the encouragement. And I hope you soon see approval in your process. I hope you are able to be over there with your sweetheart in the meantime.

Just be prepared to defend ur age differences, have plenty of proof of ur ongoig relationship.. And be totally honest about everything. The embassy even called me on the day of my fiances interview and interviewed me over the phone for almost an hour. There were a few questions i didnt know the answer too ....one being "what was the name of your fiances college" I answered truthfully... I cant pronouce most of ur names, ask me who his friends were during his college days,, ask me what he studied, ask me what was some of his "antics" he pulled.. I can answer. but I dont know the name of the school. " Honesty is always the best policy!! that is never more true than when dealing with immigration. And btw he didnt ask me one question about our age

Best of luck to you... I hope your journey is "snaggle " free, and you are soon with your loved one.

Vick/Bala

Thank you Vick/Bala....I really appreciate your honesty and sharing your experience. Am I right in assuming you are still waiting for your approval. (I checked your timeline.) I would love an email when you know.

I am pretty stressed out today. One negative email can really do me in, and not all were as forthright as yours. I need to take it a day at a time, I guess. But since I am going to be sending in a new mailing address for him, I think I will see what new evidence of our relationship I can scrape up to send with it! I love your word about honesty being the best policy. I'm sure that is true!

I wish you both a very happy future together!

Susan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Susan, do you know what...

I really dont think it will be a problem if you can prove everything they ask for.

Really.

Maybe if you were 90 and he was 15, oh yeah, i think it would be a problem, but look

your difference, means nothing.

God bless you and come here again to tell us your good news!

Praying for you Susan,

kiss from Brasil

Visa Approved!

Removal of Conditions

21/03 - VSC Received it

24/03 - NOA 1

27/03 - Check Cashed

08/04 - Biometrics received

July 8th - Approved

"Do you think who made the ears wont listen to you? Do you think who made the eyes, wont see? God is always watching you and listening to you"

988_d85d41946422f5b8fb58899bbfd0ba87_prod.jpg

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

I think for Morrocco it will be a problem among other factors they will consider. Its not the standard norm there and will make it more difficult.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yes we are still waiting for his approval.. We were placed on Administrative Processing after his interview. All they will tell us now is "Sorry its taking longer than expected, we will contact you when we are thru".

Best of Luck to you!!

Vicki/Bala

10/2002 Met in yahoo chat

10/2004 Romance blossoms

04/2005 Went to india, spent two wonderful weeks together

06/11/05 Sent petition

06/22/05 1st NOA received

09/12/05 2nd NOA received

11/15/05 Interview: request for additional information from me.

11/30/05 Got notice that we were Placed on Administrative Processing

03/04/06 Going to visit with my boo!

04/08/06 Back home (sigh) back to waiting again.

06/15/06 7 months on AP (will this ever end?)

07/06/06 called for second interview (it was a nightmare)

07/14/06 learned our petition was sent back

07/15/06 ready to carry on the fight!!!!

10/17/06 petition is back at USCIS

God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away,

who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.