141 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Affadavit of Support

Persons in the United States who desire to furnish sponsorship for an applicant in the form of an affidavit of support should use Form I-134, Affadavit of Support, available from the USCIS.

Sponsors may also elect to furnish a statement in the form of an affidavit sworn to before a notary public or other official competent to administer an oath, setting forth his or her willingness and financial ability to contribute to the applicant's support and reasons, in detail, for sponsoring the applicant.

The sponsor's affidavit should include:

1. Information regarding his or her annual income;
  2. Where material, information regarding his or her other resources;
  3. Obligations for the support of members of his or her own family and other persons, if any;
  4. Other obligations and expenses;
  5. Plans and arrangements made for the applicant's reception and support;
  6. An expression of willingness to deposit a bond, if necessary, with the Immigration and Naturalization Service to guarantee that the applicant will not become a public charge in the United States; and
  7. An acknowledgement that the sponsor is aware of his or her responsibilities under the Social Security Act, as amended, and the Food Stamp Act, as amended; that the affidavit will be binding upon to sponsor for three (3) years after entry of the named persons; and that the affidavit and supporting documentation may be made available to a public assistance agency. (The provisions of the above laws are contained in form DS-1858, Sponsor's Financial Responsibility Under the Social Security Act, and printed in Part III of the instructions for Form I-134).

The sponsor should include in the affidavit a statement concerning his or her status in the United States. If the sponsor is an American citizen the affidavit should include a statement about how United States citizenship was acquired. If naturalized, the affidavit should indicate the date of naturalization, the name and location of the court, and the number of the sponsor's certificate of naturalization. If the sponsor is an alien who has been lawfully admitted into the United States for permanent residence, he or she should state in the affidavit the date and place of admission for permanent residence and the alien registration number which appears on his or her Alien Registration Receipt Card.

To substantiate the information regarding income and resources the sponsor should attach two or more of the following items to the affidavit:

1. Notarized copies of his or her latest federal income tax return;
  2. A statement from his or her employer showing salary and the length and permanency of employment;
  3. A statement from an officer of a bank regarding his or her account, the date the account was opened, and the present balance;
  4. Any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his or her undertaking toward the applicant for what might be an indefinite period of time.

If the sponsor is well established in business, he or she may submit a rating from a recognized business rating organization in lieu of the foregoing. If the sponsor is married, the affidavit should be signed jointly by both husband and wife. Affidavits of support should be of recent date when presented to the consular officer. They are unacceptable if more than one year has elapsed from the date of execution. A sponsor may prefer to forward his or her affidavit of support directly to the consular office where the visa application will be made, in which event the contents will not be divulged to the applicant.

Instructions for the I-134

Execution of Affadavit

A seperate affidavit must be submitted for each person. You, as the sponsor, must sign the affidavit in your full, true and correct name. You are signing this form under penalty of perjury under U.S. law.

Supporting evidence

The sponsor must submit, in duplicate, evidence of income and resources, as appropriate.

A. Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution in which you have deposits giving the following details regarding your account:

1. date account opened
  2. total amount deposited for the past year
  3. present balance

B. Statement of your employer on business stationery, showing:

1. date and nature of employment
  2. salary paid
  3. whether position is temporary or permanent

C. If self-employed:

1. copy of last income tax return filed, or
  2. report of commercial rating concern

D. List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s).

Edited by Captain Ewok
updated to remove requirement of public notary

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

I'm a part-time employee at a university as a student worker and I don't derive an annual income of a certain amount, I'm just an hourly worker. Should I simply put in response to question 7 "I derive an annual income of" the amount I earned last year?

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

How does a bond to do I-135 work? I have been sorta retired the last few years I have some assets. I show some income. What is that 125% income. I have a high credit rating. No liabilities. My family members all have a lot of assets but I hate to ask them for anything because this is my third marriage.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I got a question about this form.

Depending if my place of employment figures in my shift pay and normal over time pay (it's consistant each month... unless I take a vacation)... I'm going to be close, probably slightly, under the 125% poverty line.

Would they take into consideration child support? I get $550.00 a month in child support from the egg donor of my two kids. Would I put on the form that the kids are paritially dependent on me? Likewise, I believe Jay will be recieving child support for her daughter as well... would that be considered as well?

How it Started

2001 to Feb 2002 - Met online, were acquintances

Mar to Apr 2005 - Talked about finally giving in to our feelings and getting married

Aug 1 to Aug 7, 2005 - Fifth US Visit - Engaged

Time for the Visa

Dec 8, 2005 - Finally mailed Packet

Dec 20, 2005 - NOA1 Notice Date

Dec 27, 2005 - NOA1 Rcv'd in Mail

Mar 10, 2006 - NOA2 Approved

Mar 23, 2006 - NVC Received Packet

Mar 24, 2006 - Case Forwarded to London Embassy

Apr 7, 2006 - Recieved Packet 3

May 11, 2006 - Packet 3 Sent Back

May 24, 2006 - Medical Appointment

May 24, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

Jun 14, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!

Jun 16, 2006 - Visa Recieved

Anyone got thoughts on this one? Pretty please? :)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Darn it, I think I remember reading on an OLD archived thread that child support income can be used. I am using my child support, and that coupled with both my jobs and my savings puts me way over the 125% level. I'm trying to remember where I read that at....I know I did a search....I know I read somewhere that someone used theirs and they got their visa.

I'll keep searching...if I find it again I'll post the link to the thread. :D

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how many will read this but I didn't think this little tidbit was worthy of it's own topic that might get lost soon :) I just thought it was interesting....I got it off of the London Embassy webpage (it applies only to London!!). This is regarding the submission of the I-134 for a K1 visa in London and the accompanying evidence to support it.

[You may submit] a statement from an officer of a bank regarding his or her account, the date the account was opened and the present balance.

I just thought this was interesting because it does not mention providing information on total amount deposited for the past year as is asked for on the I-134 itself. I only bring this up because my bank would not provide that information, I would have had to paid for statements for the past year and added up the numbers myself and I elected to not do this. I was worried this might hurt my application but obviously it did not because we got approved :) So, in the future if anyone going through London has a similar worry it seems that London does not ask for total amount deposited for the past year according to their webpage (but if you can get it easily I would say still do so just in case!).

Where I got the information: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/faffidavit.html

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Ok I need help... My joint-sponsor has lots of money in funds with Pacific Life for retirement, and she called and they say that she must use her statements, because they don't write up letters that are described above from Ewok. Are these acceptable or no? The statements will show the date that the accounts were opened, it will show all deposits/withdrawls and it will show a present balance. Please advise.

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I also got an e-mail from the consulate at Algiers...

Hi,

We accept Tax transcript from IRS. You should send your 2005 tax forms.

Sincerely,

Consular Assistant

I wonder if that means, they'll accept ALL 3 years as transcripts, or if it's ok for 2003 and 2004 to be transcripts, but for 2005 I have to have original forms...

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

i have a question about the notary portion of the form... it says sworn to me (AT) with a line to fill in.... is that to mean (AT) the county the notary is in???? i am trying to send it off this weekend to my husband and i need to have it notarized today before i leave work. thanks

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I am on Social Security Disability due to a severe back injury. When I first sent in the petition I was worried about the I -134 and my ability to be a sponsor by myself. I could not find much information about this on Visa Journey or anywhere else. For those that are on SS Disability it can be used for basis of support for the I-134 affidavit of Support, if it is above the required amount set by the poverty guidelines. My son also gets benefits from social security because he is a minor living in my household, I was able to include this income also. Also I get child support which is court ordered with a withholding order signed by a judge. The money is taken by my ex's employer and payed to me. I was able to use this also. Ok, for the interview I used the original benefit award statements for mine and my son's benefits. I also used the new benefit statements we received in January 2006. I dont have to pay income tax on these benefits so I did not have tax returns. I emailed the embassy about this and they said to write a statement that explains why I do not have to file income tax. I wrote the statement and quoted some information from the Soc. Sec. website that explains why I do not have to file. I included a copy of the withholding order for child support. I had my bank letter with my deposits for one year. I included the last 12 bank statements that showed my benefits direct deposited into my account. It was all accepted by the embassy and we got our visa without a co-sponsor.

Meriem (F)

Edited by Meriem_setif

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
Affadavit of Support

Persons in the United States who desire to furnish sponsorship for an applicant in the form of an affidavit of support should use Form I-134, Affadavit of Support, available from the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Sponsors may also elect to furnish a statement in the form of an affidavit sworn to before a notary public or other official competent to administer an oath, setting forth his or her willingness and financial ability to contribute to the applicant's support and reasons, in detail, for sponsoring the applicant.

The sponsor's affidavit should include:

1. Information regarding his or her annual income;
  2. Where material, information regarding his or her other resources;
  3. Obligations for the support of members of his or her own family and other persons, if any;
  4. Other obligations and expenses;
  5. Plans and arrangements made for the applicant's reception and support;
  6. An expression of willingness to deposit a bond, if necessary, with the Immigration and Naturalization Service to guarantee that the applicant will not become a public charge in the United States; and
  7. An acknowledgement that the sponsor is aware of his or her responsibilities under the Social Security Act, as amended, and the Food Stamp Act, as amended; that the affidavit will be binding upon to sponsor for three (3) years after entry of the named persons; and that the affidavit and supporting documentation may be made available to a public assistance agency. (The provisions of the above laws are contained in form DS-1858, Sponsor's Financial Responsibility Under the Social Security Act, and printed in Part III of the instructions for Form I-134).

The sponsor should include in the affidavit a statement concerning his or her status in the United States. If the sponsor is an American citizen the affidavit should include a statement about how United States citizenship was acquired. If naturalized, the affidavit should indicate the date of naturalization, the name and location of the court, and the number of the sponsor's certificate of naturalization. If the sponsor is an alien who has been lawfully admitted into the United States for permanent residence, he or she should state in the affidavit the date and place of admission for permanent residence and the alien registration number which appears on his or her Alien Registration Receipt Card.

To substantiate the information regarding income and resources the sponsor should attach two or more of the following items to the affidavit:

1. Notarized copies of his or her latest federal income tax return;
  2. A statement from his or her employer showing salary and the length and permanency of employment;
  3. A statement from an officer of a bank regarding his or her account, the date the account was opened, and the present balance;
  4. Any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his or her undertaking toward the applicant for what might be an indefinite period of time.

If the sponsor is well established in business, he or she may submit a rating from a recognized business rating organization in lieu of the foregoing. If the sponsor is married, the affidavit should be signed jointly by both husband and wife. Affidavits of support should be of recent date when presented to the consular officer. They are unacceptable if more than one year has elapsed from the date of execution. A sponsor may prefer to forward his or her affidavit of support directly to the consular office where the visa application will be made, in which event the contents will not be divulged to the applicant.

Instructions for the I-134

Execution of Affadavit

A seperate affidavit must be submitted for each person. You, as the sponsor, must sign the affidavit in your full, true and correct name and affirm or make it under oath. If you are in the United States, the affidavit may be sworn to or affirmed before an immigration officer without the payment of fee, or before a notary public or other officer authorized to administer oaths for general purposes, in which case the offical seal or certificate of authority to administer oaths must be affixed.

If you are outside the United States the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed before a United States consular or immigration officer.

Supporting evidence

The sponsor must submit, in duplicate, evidence of income and resources, as appropriate.

A. Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution in which you have deposits giving the following details regarding your account:

1. date account opened
  2. total amount deposited for the past year
  3. present balance

B. Statement of your employer on business stationery, showing:

1. date and nature of employment
  2. salary paid
  3. whether position is temporary or permanent

C. If self-employed:

1. copy of last income tax return filed, or
  2. report of commercial rating concern

D. List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s).

I understand ans have all the documentation you have documented, but my question is on question 11 which reads;

That I intend do not intend to make specific contributuions to the support of the person(s) named in item 3. ( If you check "imtend", indicate the exact nature of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in United States dollars and state wether it is to be given in a lump sum, weekly or monthly, oor for how long)

Ok I am marrying the person(s) named in item 3, as in K-1 Visa. But I am not sure how long I will live to support her. So how do I answer this one Obi One, you are my only hope.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
I understand ans have all the documentation you have documented, but my question is on question 11 which reads;

That I intend do not intend to make specific contributuions to the support of the person(s) named in item 3. ( If you check "imtend", indicate the exact nature of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in United States dollars and state wether it is to be given in a lump sum, weekly or monthly, oor for how long)

Ok I am marrying the person(s) named in item 3, as in K-1 Visa. But I am not sure how long I will live to support her. So how do I answer this one Obi One, you are my only hope.

Check the example form: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/I-134-exp-04-30-07.pdf

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Check the example form: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/I-134-exp-04-30-07.pdf

I just did and it said this for question 11: N/A ( K1 visa process for permanent residence )

I'm not sure about that answer, this is what I put for mine: I checked intend and wrote: Room and board and living expenses for three years. My lawyer said that was acceptable. But now I'm starting to wonder about that. I have read many times through this site and have seen this particular advice given many times: Never use the answer NA so I wonder why it is used in the example form?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.