Captain Ewok

General K1 Guides and Info

236 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

K-1 Visa Holder Starter Kit

compiled by LisaD

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT! You must be so excited! Man, there is so much for you to digest...plan on reading a great deal! No, getting married to a foreign national is not like the movie 'Green Card'. You are gonna be shocked!

Do yourself a favor and read the GUIDES <---click here! as well as understanding what a K-1 Visa actually is.

Read the FAQs <----click here!

And if you have a specific question that you're unsure of...hit up the Forum Search <---click here!. Most times, your question has been asked and answered countless times over.

Please refer to these tools that the admin CAPTAIN EWOK has provided. And many members have worked very hard to write all this info.........

And one more thing....BREATHE!!! Yes it seems like a lot of ####### and red tape to go through, but there are countless couples who have gone through this and who have lived to tell the tale.

oh, and no, you cannot file for a K-1 and get married while you're waiting. <---CLICK HERE!

Useful links along your K1 Visa Journey:

compiled by Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - Department of State (DOS) Nonimmigrant Visa Information (Overview of the K1 Process)

[CLICK HERE] - USCIS FAQ for Fiance(e) (2pg PDF File)

[CLICK HERE] - 5 Stages of the K1 Visa Process "Simplified and Theoretical" (according to Sheriff Uling)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Guide & Information (Detailed Steps for Filing)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Flowchart (General Overview)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Tips (Tips on Forms and Documents)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's Acronym and Form Definition page (Great for New Members)

[CLICK HERE] - Manila Embassy K1 Visa Guide (Specific to the Philippines)

Make sure you also check out the Example Forms Section. This section has many example forms, for a general case, that you can use as reference.

Here is the official USCIS FAQ for Fiance(e) Visa's: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A2.pdf. Once you file you will have several options available to track your case.

Helpful Notes for K1 Applicants (If you have a suggestion that you think should be added please PM me):

Note #1 (suggested by member: Mew):

Many VJs find it difficult to figure out how to check for touches and ask for :help: . So I thought I'd have this topic to make it easier for everyone.

What is a touch?

As JEDI's defined it (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20192#):

Any time your application is handled by someone at a Service Centre, the barcode is scanned, which results in an update to the "last date" for your case on the USCIS website. When the date changes, this mean that someone has physically handled or "touched" your case. There are many reasons your application may be "touched" - from simply being moved from one desk to another, to RFE's, to being approved.

There are 2 kinds of touches. There are the ones that show some kind of update, there are the ones that don't bring a new message. By logging into the account, take a look at the date that shows next to your case number. If it's changed, you've been touched.

By clicking on the case number, you get to check whether it was an update touch or not. The ones that don't show updates are connected with some kind of work done with regard to your case - it merely shows that they've taken a look at it somehow.

What? Case number? Account? Hang on, let me explain it. :)

How do I get to check it out?

First thing is, get your receipt number (or case number). You can find it online on the back of the check you used to pay for the filing of the application when it's been cashed. If you can't do that, wait for the NOA1 in the mail. It'll be there.

There are 3 ways to check for updates.

1. By searching online: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp - you'll just need the receipt number.

2. By logging into your account. To register on the USCIS site: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/termscondi...ntextType=CU_EN

3. By e-mail (once you have registered and clicked on the "E-mail on" button.

Options 1 and 3 are good if you only wish to check for status update. Option number 2 shows the mysterious touches (somebody worked on your case but we can't be sure what has been done).

Option 2 in detail:

It'll show a table:

Receipt Number | E-mail | Last Updated | (mm/dd/yyyy) | Form # |Form Title

Take a look at the date in the "last updated" box. Then go to "Receipt Number" and check the message. Is it different from the last update you got?

Yes: :) Great! You got an update that changes the status of your case.

No: :( Aw. They have just worked on your case...

Please note that the date on the update notices don't change. For example, if you got a message saying your petition was approved on JUNE 20, 2006, that date will never change. The ones that might change are the ones you get to see at the chart when you log into the account.

Do I really need to check the mysterious touches?

Not at all. Only obsessive people like me, for example, will do it. I find it comforting to know that someone's been working on my case :)

Also, you only get to check the status before your petition is fowarded to the NVC...

I hope I covered it all. :thumbs:

Note #2 (suggested by member: sukie175 and pax):

***This applies in general to everyone**** Regarding your Overseas Medical: Please note that you need to ask the Doctor at whichever Hospital you go to - To give you the Department of State's vaccination worksheet (or at least an official copy) - it is known as the DS-3025 (this is not the same as the USCIS form I-693 or I-693A Suppliment). You will need this for your Visa interview and for later on when you adjust status to a permanent resident in the US.

When you apply to adjust status in the States, assuming you as a K-1 holder apply within one year of the original medical, you need an I-693A. This is USCIS'S VACCINATION SUPPLEMENT. Here's where it gets tricky! Some people have submitted a DS-3025 with their AOS package and have NOT received RFE's. Some HAVE. If you want to be absolutely safe in terms of your medical documentation as a K-1 adjusting status, you should take your DS-3025 to a USCIS-certified civil surgeon and ask them to transfer the information from your DS-3025 to an I-693A. They should do this for a nominal charge. If they try to tell you you need a full medical examination, DO NOT LISTEN. You ONLY need the vaccination supplement. The following memo from the USCIS documents that this completed form will remain valid beyond one year when submitted with most Adjustment of Status applications.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/I693MedExt011106.pdf

The civil surgeon should give you an I-693A documenting the fact that your vaccinations are complete (either they were completed when you had your medical or you had them completed stateside). You should submit this with your AOS package.

Note #3:

Make sure on all photo's you submit to the USCIS / Dept of State that you label on the back of the photo (felt tip marker suggested) the names, date and location of the photo and the people in it (namely you and your fiance).
Note #4:
Later on when you file for AOS you will need to know where your non immigrant visa # is. This image shows you where:

normal_visa_after_entry.jpg

Note #5:

Frequently Asked Questions answered by the Department of State regarding a K-1 Visa:

http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/consular/ivfaq.html

Note #6:

This thread discusses exceptions to the requirement for having met within the last 2 years:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33474

Edited by Captain Ewok

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• 5 months later...
hi,

I am confused by the meaning of RFE.

Any exact definition?

Request for Evidence (i think)

It is when USCIS decide that additional information is required. This is quite often if something which was required was not included with the documents sent to them.

When they issue a RFE they normally state exactly what they require to be sent to them eg. birth certificate.

Hope this helps

--- I-129F ---

Filed I129F ---- 03th June 2005

All Forms Recieved by London ---- 16th August 2005

Medical ---- 22nd August 2005

Interview Date via E-Mail ---- 05th October 2005

Interview --- 14th October 2005 10:30am Approved

Passport Recieved Back --- 18th October 2005

Flying home to be with my sweety --- 24th October 2005

Arrived in JFK POE was easy took 30 mins finally with my sweety

Went to Brooklyn SSA and applied for ssn told approx 14 days --- 07th November 2005

Got SSN married Dec 14th 2005

Applied for EAD/AOS recieved NOA 31st Dec 2005

Mid Jan RFE recieved FOR AOS

RFE info recieved at Chicago --- 31st Jan 2006

Biometrics --- 10 Feb 2006

EAD Recieved --- 16 June 2006

RFE AOS --- 29 June 2006

RFE AOS replied and recieved by USCIS --- 19 July 2006

AOS Touched --- 21,22 July 2006

AOS Approved ---- 08/03/06

Welcome to America Letter ---- 08/07/06

Personal Meetings - August 2002 (NYC), December 2002 (NYC), December 2003 (NYC), August 2004 (England), December 2004 (England), May 2005 (NYC), June 2005 (England)

hi,

I am confused by the meaning of RFE.

Any exact definition?

Request for Evidence (i think)

It is when USCIS decide that additional information is required. This is quite often if something which was required was not included with the documents sent to them.

When they issue a RFE they normally state exactly what they require to be sent to them eg. birth certificate.

Hope this helps

I think we didnt receive any of RFEs but we have been waiting for 4.5 months since we sent. Btw, we had transferred our case from NSC to CSC. Still NO@ never came....

Anything wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

USCIS Interoffice memo which will help in seeing how an adjudicator will view your file re IMBRA issues and by doing so give some guidance as to what one should submit to support waivers.

Re: International Marriage Broker Regulation Act Implementation Guidance

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/IMBRA072106.pdf

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is there a flowchart for K1 visa, specifically for beneficiary in Manila for her portion more detailed than the one in the guide? For example with a detailed list of documents needed to send to the embassy and all the different papers such as NBI clearance, birth certificate, proof of being single etc? We are rushing as much as possible to have her here for Christmas. Any time saving tips and detailed information will be highly appreciated. I have already sent "practice" copies of DS156, DS156K, and DS230 to her along with blanks so she can have those completed and ready to send back to the Embassy via LBC overnight.

Thanks,

Rob

03/20/2006 - I-129F - Sent FedEX

03/28/2006 - NOA 1 (Receipt) - NOA issued from CSC

07/03/2006 - RFE (Receipt) - RFE Received

07/07/2006 - RFE and Waiver Request - RFE arrived at CSC

09/01/2006 - NOA2 - USCIS Email - Approved w/Waiver

09/22/2006 - Electronic Version - Manila - Embassy Received

12/13/2006 - Packet 4 Received via DHL

12/21/2007 - Medical St. Lukes

12/22/2006 - St. Luke's canceled medical in progress - required additional tests in Jan for upper respiratory congestion.

12/28/2006 - Interview Canceled because of congestion and cough during medical at St. Lukes

01/09/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/10/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/11/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/12/2007 - St. Luke's for pulmonary exam - EVERYTHING CLEAR

01/15/2007 - St. Luke's for vaccinations and release of medical to USE

02/26/2007 - Interview APPROVED - 11+ months for K1 Visa

03/05/2007 - Visa in hand

03/05/2007 - CFO Completed

03/06/2007 - Arrived in Dallas

04/29/2007 - Married in Dallas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Is there a flowchart for K1 visa, specifically for beneficiary in Manila for her portion more detailed than the one in the guide? For example with a detailed list of documents needed to send to the embassy and all the different papers such as NBI clearance, birth certificate, proof of being single etc? We are rushing as much as possible to have her here for Christmas. Any time saving tips and detailed information will be highly appreciated. I have already sent "practice" copies of DS156, DS156K, and DS230 to her along with blanks so she can have those completed and ready to send back to the Embassy via LBC overnight.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, have you tried posting that question to the Manila thread? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=181 - I guess they'll be able to help you.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

• 1 month later...
USCIS Interoffice memo which will help in seeing how an adjudicator will view your file re IMBRA issues and by doing so give some guidance as to what one should submit to support waivers.

Re: International Marriage Broker Regulation Act Implementation Guidance

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/IMBRA072106.pdf

GOOD LUCK ROB

k-1 visa

service center- - - - -- - - -- california service center

consulate ---------------------- manila phils

1-129f sent ------------------ 05-09-2006

1-129f NOA1 APPROVED-------05-19-2006

1-129F RFE [s} --------------- 06-25-2006

1-129F REPLY --------------- 07-16-2006

1-129F NOA2 APPROVED ------ 09-01-2006

NVC RECIEVED ---------------- 09-25-2006

NVC LEFT ---------------------- 09-29-2006

CONSULATE RECIEVED---------10-12-2006

PACKET 4 DELIVERED

BY DHL ------------------------- 12-13-2006

SCHEDULE FOR MEDICAL

IN ST LUKES MANILA ---------- 01-23-2007

INTERVIEW DATE -------------- 01-30-2007 PLS PRAY FOR ME...

VISA IN HAND NOW...THANK GOD

arrived in usa------------------------------02-07-2007

aos sent.......06-01-07

biometrics.....07-07-07

waiting for aos interview.....................

ead card recieved.........08-18-07

aos interview......09-05-07

follow-up interview..........10-23-07 APPROVED

green card recieve..........11-02-07

Remove conditions on residency} LPR

10-02-09 I-751 MAILED APPLICATION

10-15-09 RECIEVED 1 YEAR EXTENSION FOR GREENCARD

10-25-09 BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT RECIEVED

11-10-09 BIOMETRICS

11-29-09 RECIEVED MY 10 YEARS GREENCARD......APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW..YEHEHH.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hello,

It does mean Request for evidence(RFE). It is generally issued where the USCIS thinks that you have not produced enough evidences to support your case.

Not exactly. You can get an RFE asking for more evidence - of having met, of being a USC -, yes, but you can also get an RFE because you haven't submitted signatures, have forgotten to send a form, etc. Check the thread pinned to the K-1 forum and you'll see what VJers have gotten RFEs for.

Congratulations, MEW!!!

I also got my K1 visa approved yesterday!! Hurray!

Now what?

Thanks, Aussiewench.. You're too good to be true...

Thank you! And congratulations to you too!

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

GO to DHL Worldwide Express website http://www.dhl.com

Select USA

A new page will open

At the top highlight tracking and click on TRACK BY REFERENCE

In the Reference field type CORRESPONDENCE

For the Shipment date you should select a day before and after the date NVC said they sent your file.

Customer number leave blank

Origin Postal code should be 03801

Then Click Track (thanks to YuAndDan and to Randy)

Timeline

2006-07-10 : I-129F sent to TSC

2007-03-24 : Leave for Vietnam

2007-03-29 : Blue slip and then PINK

2007-04-03 : Picked Up Visa

2007-04-07 : POE in Chicago

2007-04-11 : Married In Court

2007-04-23 : SSN applications submit

2007-05-01 : SSN Recevied

2007-05-17 : AOS + EAD Sent

2007-05-29 : I-765 EAD NOA received

2007-05-31 : I-485 AOS NOA received

2007-08-01 : EAD received

2007-08-02 : Green Card AOS received

Life is good...

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Captain Ewok,

We're in the process of applying for a K1 visa, and you and this website have been EXTREMELY helpful.

Thank you so much, I'll post as we progress.

Tinker :thumbs:

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

To all...

When I first started out, I found this information from the Department of State (DOS) very helpful (CLICK HERE). Also, for my fellow Phil-Am families, please check out my signature block for other information that may help you along in your visa journey.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.