26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We have hired a lawyer to make sure that all of the papers are correct. Has anyone else used a lawyer? I was a bit shocked to see how fast we got our reciept. I was thinkning it would take longer. I am wondering if it has something to do with the lawyer? Anywho.. opinions or experience using lawyers?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

THIS is how I feel,

I paid RHC visa services $2,700.00 It looks like just to file my papers know stuck in NVC and they wont even call or help us well I feel pertly stupid. See link A candle for love

I-129F 2/27/06

USCIS approval 4/28/06

NVC LOG IN 5/17/06

CLEARED NVC SENT TO GUZ CHINA 8/18/06

RECEIVED PACKET 3 11/6/06

RECEIVED P 4 12/14/06

INTERVIEW~~ 1/23/07

A lawyer has no affect on processing times. Got my NOA1 very quickly no lawyer.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Think you'll find a pretty mixed bag of opinions here about Lawyers. Personally, if your case is straight forward it's a waste of money. You can get all the information the Lawyer can get on this website, and at times even more information. If your case isn't complicated, the paperwork, and process is straight forward (slow, but straight forward for the most part). Read the directions, double, triple check everything and you should not have a problem.

A Lawyer will not speed things up for you, and can often actually slow things down for you, as we've seen here many times. I considered hiring one at first also because I was overwhelmed with everything, but after I sat down, did some research, I realized it wasn't that difficult to do, you just need to pay attention.

For some folks it's all to nerve racking and hiring a Lawyer gives them some sort of comfort. So, if thats the case, and you don't mind paying for something that you can most likely do on your own, then a Lawyer might not be a bad idea. But, other than check over your papers, they really can't do anything else from what I can tell. They can't get evidence, or documents you need later on in the process for you, then can only tell you what to get, and you need to do it yourself anyway.

So, to me it's a waste of money, and can actually add to the aggravation of this process (ie. the Lawyer doesn't realize he has received an RFE for your case, and you end up waiting 3 months before he realizes his office received it, when normally it would have been mailed directly to your house). But, again if it gives you comfort, then I would do what you feel is best for you. :thumbs:

Edited by Erik

3dflagsdotcomusa2fawm8fa.gif 3dflagsdotcombrazi2fawm8bu.gif

NOA1 Date Received - 5/09/2006

Petition Transfered from NSC to CSC - 6/01/2006

Touched - 6/02/2006

Touched - 6/03/2006

IMBRA RFE Received - 06/30/2006 (Dated 06/23/2006)

IMBRA RFE Delivered - 07/01/2006 (USPS Next Day)

Touched - 07/03/2006 (Email saying they sent RFE)

Touched - 07/04/2006

Touched - 07/05/2006

Touched - 07/10/2006 (Recieved RFE Response)

Touched - 07/11/2006

Touched - 07/12/2006

Touched - 07/13/2006

Touched - 08/03/2006

NOA2 Approved - 08/03/2006

Touched - 08/06/2006

NVC Entered Case into System - 08/21/2006

Consulate in Rio de Janeiro confirms receipt - 08/29/2006 (may have arrived sooner, only got around to calling today).

Fiance sent Packet 3 to Embassy (Before she actually received it) - 09/01/2006

Fiance receives actual Packet 3 - 09/06/2006

Fiance receives Packet 4 - 09/22/2006

Medical Scheduled - 11/06/2006

Interview Scheduled - 11/07/2006

Fiance should be on her way to me! 11/10/2006

Visa Approved!

Well, you already hired the lawyer, so no use in discussing whether or not it's good/necessary to do. But no, the reason it went so fast was not because you had a lawyer... although maybe if the lawyer caught a typo or mistake that you made because you weren't confident he would've saved you a few weeks that you would've been held up for the RFE. ;) But you could've done that yourself anyway but double, triple, and quadruple checking. :)

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

I feel that a Lawyers main use is assuring that you have all your paper work together and filled out correctly before mailing the petition. If you have a special case and need to obtain paperwork other than the norm, like Divorce, waivers, convictions, overstays, past visa fraud, and other things of this nature, a Lawyer can help guide you in the process. After the paperwork is filed there job is pretty much done. They have no hand on the internal processing of the petition. Actually a Lawyer can have name checks done on him if his name is on your petition, him and anyone else who's name is on it. Not that this would be a big deal for an immigration lawyer, I'm sure it's been done a bunch to them, but could cause delays. Who really knows!! You should feel safe with the paperwork you sent in having a lawyer review it, however, I need to be in control and rely on myself. I did not hire a lawyer but it might have been a good idea in my case, only time will tell.

06/30/06- sent I-129F petition to VSC.

07/11/06- NOA1 (received in mail)

07/19/06- RFE received in mail, IMBRA

07/28/06- e-mail, IMBRA RFE received at VSC

09/11/06- called VSC, told I'm with an adjudicating officer

09/25/06- called VSC, told to file expedited service, outside 60 days of RFE received date

09/26/06- sent expedited service request to VSC via fax and snail mail

09/26/06- Senators and Congressman making inquiries into my petition

09/29/06- expedited service request approved by VSC director

10/04/06- e-mail NOA2 approved!!!!!!

10/05/06- NVC received

10/06/06- NVC forwarded to Poland Embassy

10/16/06- Packet #3 received

10/17/06- Packet #3 sent to US Embassy Warsaw

10/30/06- Packet #4 received

10/30/06- Interview scheduled for November 22nd!!!

11/30/06- Visa in hand, via DHL!!!!

12/05/06- Ania and I arrive together in the USA

02/11/07- Ania applied for Social Security Card

02/17/07- Ania and I were MARRIED!!!!!!

07/24/07- Social Security Card in hand- after some minor issues and a little procrastination :)

10/14/07- I-485, I-765, and permission to travel mailed to USCIS

10/17/07- Received NOA1

12/17/07- I-485 shipped to California Service Center for faster service

12/17/07- I-765 approved new card should be mailed within 30 days, Advanced parole approved

02/28/08- AOS APPROVED!!!! PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED!!!!! (card received couple weeks after approval)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
We have hired a lawyer to make sure that all of the papers are correct. Has anyone else used a lawyer? I was a bit shocked to see how fast we got our reciept. I was thinkning it would take longer. I am wondering if it has something to do with the lawyer? Anywho.. opinions or experience using lawyers?

From the people I have talked to, the only real value in having a lawyer involved is when a serious problem arises and you need someone that understands all of the intricacies of immigration law. I have seen no other value other than that, and I know some people that have said their lawyer messed them up.

Qiao

我爱小兔子

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Our lawyer has indeed caught mistakes in our paperwork. I am Divorced, and we can not provide a birth cerifiate for Justice, it was lost many years ago and his parents are dead, all we have is a court affidavit saying that he is hwo he says he is. I have to be honest our lawyer has helped us and it does make me feel better knowing that there is someone who knows the ins and outs of this process. Our case does seem to have the possiblity of complications. I do double check his work that he send us for review, and I stay in contact with him, to keep on top of things.

More often than not, lawyers delay cases more than help.

If I had went with the lawyer I saw months ago, this would've been true in my case as well, I'm certain. I only saw her for a first visit to see if she might be able to help me so thankfully I only lost like $60 for a conference fee, but during it she basically told us to just 'sneak him in the country and get married (ie enter with intent to stay)' and she'd 'take care of the rest'. Thank god I knew about visajourney because I was able to find out that she was about as far from correct as possible before I did something that could've ruined things for us.

Now that my fiance and I have sat down and done the papers and are getting ready to mail off the first bit, we've gained the confidence on our own that this is a lot easier than we were convinced. That's not to say some people won't have problems but our case is fairly straightforward, the only problem we might bump into is with a cosponsor.

UNST0001.gifbritkit.jpgUNKG0001.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Coming from Nigeria I think you are wise to employ a lawyer. Most will tell you not to bother in here but they are from countries that are not generally viewed as high risk. Nigeria is one that is and therefore getting it right first time is always a good idea.

Good Luck

I agree with Bobkatz.

Having a lawyer may very well help your case, especially since you said your fiance does not have a birth certificate.

I never even thought about getting a lawyer because my husband is from Germany, is white, has never been married, has never over-stayed a visa, etc. Our case was quite straightforward. There are rarely problems with white immigrants from Western countries in straightforward cases.

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

April 15, 2006 - I-130 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

April 22, 2006 - I-130 returned to us (personal checks not acceptable)

April 24, 2006 - I-130 resubmitted with Credit Card Payment Form

June 14, 2006 - I-130 Approved

June 15, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

June 17, 2006 - DS 230 Part 1 & OF-169 mailed to the Consulate

June 26, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

June 27, 2006 - Medical Examination in Berlin

July 21, 2006 - Interview at Frankfurt Consulate

July 21, 2006 - Visa Approved!

August 22, 2006 - America!

July 26, 2008 - I-751 sent to VSC

August 1, 2008 - Check cashed

August 1, 2008 - NOA-1 received

September 9, 2008 - Biometics Appointment

March 12, 2009 - Transfer from VSC to CSC?

March 16, 2009 - Approved (10-year green card should be mailed within 60 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.