mingus_drake

Do I need a new SSC after getting greencard?

31 posts in this topic

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My SSC says not valid to work without DHS authorization. But now that I have my conditional greencard, should I go back and get a new SSC which doesn't say this?

Yes, you can do this.... simply go to the SSA and request a replacement card

YMMV

You can, but you don't have to.

I have the same "problem: and called the Social Security Office after I received the greencard. They told me that it is not necessary at this point and that I can hold on to my current card (with "valid with DHS authorization only" on it) until I become a citizen, if I choose that path. Then I would have to go to their office and show my naturalization certificate to update my status.

Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...

AOS completed in 11/2009

ROC completed in 06/2012
Received BBG from Germany in 02/2013

Passed N-400 interview and civics test 06/07/2013

Oath ceremony some time in July

Filed: Timeline
My SSC says not valid to work without DHS authorization. But now that I have my conditional greencard, should I go back and get a new SSC which doesn't say this?

I would say get the unrestricted SSN card. There two reasons, one being at some point your conditional I-551 card will be expired and you have a restricted SSN card. The other being that a lot of people don't fully understand the reason for the restriction on the card, which is nothing more than not allowing you to use the card as a work authorization document.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You definitely should go get the updated card. Doing so also updates your status in their file from "nonimmigrant" to "permanent resident" which may make some kind of real difference down the road. Don't worry too much about having to hand the old card back. Just don't bring it with you when you go, and if they ask for it (they didn't with me) just say you don't have it on you because they advise you not to carry it around and you didn't think you'd need it just to update your status with them. Worked for me and now I have a dandy little, somewhat unusual souvenir of my old nonimmigrant status :)

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Other Timeline

Mine is much older, reading: "not valid for employment." I love it, will keep it forever! Why in the world would I want to exchange it?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

. Don't worry too much about having to hand the old card back. Just don't bring it with you when you go, and if they ask for it (they didn't with me) just say you don't have it on you because they advise you not to carry it around and you didn't think you'd need it just to update your status with them.

Yes DO NOT DO NOT given up your SSN card until you have the new one.. If they ask for it say the dog ate it. LOL

If you are still in doubt . . . now you do have DHS authorization. It's documented by your green card.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

• 3 weeks later...
thanks. does anyone know which form i should use?

If you go into the office to apply you don't need any form. They will enter all your info into the computer and printout a form for you to review and sign if everything is correct, If the office is using the new SSNAP system you don't even need to sign the application.

RM 00202.001 Form SS-5 (Application for A Social Security Card) - Overview

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202001

C3. Systems-Generated Application

FO employees use the NY SS-5 Assistant Release 2 in conjunction with MES to input and process an application for an SSN card. The systems-generated application will collect and display the same information that is collected on the Form SS-5. When the applicant remains in the office throughout the interview and keying of this data, the FO employee must print the systems-generated application for the applicant's review and signature, and the FO employee(s) certification(s).

RM 10205.175 Applicant’s Electronic Signature for an Application for an SSN Card Processed in SSNAP

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205175

A3 Print the SSNAP printout and give to the applicant to review.

A4 Make corrections, if necessary, and reprint the SSNAP printout for the applicant’s approval.

A5 When the applicant agrees with the information on the application, read the following script from the SSNAP Verify and Sign screen:

“Do you understand that the information you gave us and examined will be used to process (your/name of number holder) application? Do you declare under penalty of perjury that this information is true and correct to the best of your knowledge?”

A6 Annotate one of the following on the SSNAP Verify and Sign screen based on the applicant’s response to the above question.

If the applicant Responds “Yes” Choose Attestation

A7 Shred the SSNAP printout when the application is successfully processed, unless the applicant asks to keep it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Applied for a new card today. Of course they did the same thing as when I got my original card: sent my documents for verification to immigration. From eavesdropping I think it was due to a system glitch caused by either my having a different name than at birt or because my greencard only had my middle initial, not my whole middle name.

Lame. I don't mind waiting the four weeks but it seems ridiculous for such a simple matter.

Lame. I don't mind waiting the four weeks but it seems ridiculous for such a simple matter.

You did this to yourself. You, you, and only you. Lame and ridiculous are the terms I would assign to your whining now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
You did this to yourself. You, you, and only you. Lame and ridiculous are the terms I would assign to your whining now.

Wow, way to be polite. How about simply explaining why I'm the one responsible here, if you think so?

Applied for a new card today. Of course they did the same thing as when I got my original card: sent my documents for verification to immigration. From eavesdropping I think it was due to a system glitch caused by either my having a different name than at birt or because my greencard only had my middle initial, not my whole middle name.

They should be verifing the name that appears on your immigration document and your middle name being an initial rather than your complete name on either is not a problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.