PingLocalHostess

POE - Detroit

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

CFO Seminar: October 27, 2008

I went with jamesnrei, trinidad-lohner, JoseRizal and natassja. THANKS guys!

We had our seminar and counseling at PRISM. We went there 9.00AM. We had to leave our IDs so we'll be given visitor's IDs.

1. We proceeded to S1 to login. We were asked to go to S2 to fill up the forms (Make sure you know your fiance's mom's maiden name). I have my visa so all they asked is a photocopy of my passport and visa then they gave me a form to fill up. We paid P250.

* For those without visas yet, check out jamesrei's post http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...5244&st=645 (post #653).

** For those with visas, bring 2 photocopies of your passport and visa. First copies will be given to Prism, second copies will be given to CFO.

2. We had our pictures taken. Its digital. You just sit and smile. :)

3. After that we went to S3 for the actual seminar. We had to watch this video... which i didnt really pay attention to coz i was busy chatting with trinidad-lohner and jamesnrei. Its wasnt my fault, the TV is small and its placed low... those in the back can hardly see it. Its an old MGB video of this Filipina violated by her husband. Good thing there was no quiz after. Then theres the BDO thingy... which was very convincing so we ended up paying P50 and filled up their forms (Which we withdrew after the seminar coz they were taking too damn long. We were promised we would have the passbook and ATM card RIGHT AFTER the seminar). We then went to USA room where we discussed Airport policies, immigration policies for k1, k3, cr1 and ir1... etc. You will be given handouts so make sure you keep them coz its very informative. You are to ask questions too.

4. One on one counseling. Its like an interview with the CO. You have to convince the counselor you have a sound relationship with your SO. You might need to show them pictures of the two of you... like most of us did.

*** Dont be too comfortable coz they can hold your CFO certificate and deem you not fit to get married (for k1) or to travel to US (for k3, ir1 and cr1). Being denied the certificate is very rare but we were warned during the seminar so that sorta made us nervous.

5. They released our certificates. Its printed on a half sheet (brochure type... sorta like a SECPA) yellow paper. Make sure you check if your name is correct, if its signed and if it has a dry seal.

**** It lasted 3 hours 10.00am to 1.00pm.

6. We had to photocopy the CFO certificate. Then proceed to CFO building. Gave the guard our ID to get visitor's ID again. There are 4 windows inside.

7. We went to the first window on the right. Gave them the photocopy of my CFO certificate, passport and visa. I have to fill up forms again.

8. Then went to the window on the left of that... its labeled 'Verification'. She'll check it and then she'll ask you to pay P400 on the window to the far left - cashier.

9. Paid P400. Then went to the window on the right side of the cashier. Gave them the receipt and waited. They called our names after awhile to give us our green certificate. Released my passport with the stamp as well (my green certificate was stapled in my passport). Its already 3.30PM.

FLIGHT TO US - October 29, 2008

MANILA TO JAPAN

Initially theres a security check at the airport entrance, take off your shoes then go thru the metal detector and all your bags and shoes goes thru the scanner. Walked straight to NWA counter and fell in line. There was a screener... she/he'd check if you have weapons or stuff that someone else asked you to bring to US or if you packed your bags yourself. Checked in at the NWA counter at 3.00am. I have 2 bags (1st: 20 kgs / 2nd: 28 kgs). On NWA website, their limit is 23 kgs (50 lbs) each for the 2 free checked luggage. I was expecting to pay the Heavey Baggage fee of $50 per bag that goes beyond the limit and only up to 31 kgs (70 lbs). I WASNT asked to pay any heavy baggage fee. (Sweet!) I have 2 carry ons (1 garment bag and a purse). Before they printed my boarding passes, they had me pay the travel tax of P1620 (its on the right side of the terminal if you are facing NWA counter). So with my boarding passes on hand, i went straight to immigrations section (its on the left side of the terminal if you are facing NWA counter). Just fall in line in any of the booths. I paid the terminal and security fee (P750) and next is the immigrations booth. Gave my passport, boarding passes and CFO certificate. Everything seems to be fine but he asked for another form... i was stricken... its an immigration form *sigh* (i forgot what its called exactly but every Filipino thats leaving the country has to fill up that form for formality's sake). He said i should just go back to him after i filled up the form so he can let me thru. I couldnt get out of the immigrations area... so i asked the guard on the right side (at the exit). He gave me the form, filled it up and went back to the same immigrations officer. He stamped my boarding pass and he let me thru. There was a security check... same as the entrance... ONLY this time, they checked for liquids or gels and other stuff that are not allowed in the plane. I went thru it smoothly. Once inside the terminal, you will see boutiques of designer stuff and food stalls too. I went to look for my Gate (its on the ticket). Theres checkpoint and i just showed the guard my boarding pass and they let me thru. Before i was allowed in to wait at my Gate (boarding area), NWA has its own security check. Note: When go out of the boarding area (like when you need to go pee or buy food), you have to go thru the same security check to get back in. I was early. I was on the plane an hour before the scheduled take off. We took off early, 7.35am. Every seat has a small pillow and blanket (Weeee!). Free breakfast on the plane, a choice between Pork Asado or Sausage and Egg. Drinks are juice, sodas, coffee, tea or water. I suggest choose Pork Asado coz that'll be the last Pork Asado you will have once you get to US :P. Reached Narita, Tokyo airport at 1:00pm.

NARITA, TOKYO to DETROIT, MICHIGAN

In Narita. Once off the plane, make sure you check which gate you are at before proceeding to the Customs Check. I only got 1 hour and 55 minutes till my next flight. I had to go thru Japan customs and look for my Gate (ermm). Just follow the signs.... its accurate. Its pretty much the same security check as that in Manila Airport... except you need to take off your jacket but you can leave your shoes on. Make sure you fall in the right line... and not in the domestic section. Note: They are VERY strict with liquid and gels. Off i went to the main terminal. Oh my god, everything is SO pretty! If you are an anime geek... you will love it there. I wanted to venture off and get some souvineers but im running late... i only got 10 minutes till boarding (an hour before the flight). BUT I couldnt help myself... i breezed thru a bookstore... manga haven *sigh*... its expensive :P. Found my gate and fell in line ..... boarded my plane JUST in time. The plane took off on the scheduled time. Every seat has a small pillow and blanket (Weeee!). Free dinner and breakfast. Dinner was a choice between Beef or Chicken, both are served with veggies on the side. Before landing... a stewardess will be going around asking who are US citizens and who arent. If you arent, she'll give you an I-94 (immigration purposes) and US Customs form (for whatever stuff you brought to US... not clothes or money but stuff you bought from your trip). We landed in Detroit, Michigan an hour early than the scheduled time.

POE - Detroit, Michigan

I got off the plane slowly... not in too much of a hurry coz i know i have enough time till my next flight (6 hours). It is freaking cold ermmmm. I searched for restrooms... there wasnt any AT ALL (or i couldnt find any). So i just followed the signs that says international... i should have went with the crowd ermmm. It will lead you to Immigrations Section. It is divided into 2 parts. On the left was for US citizens and on the right is for Visitors. There are more than 10 windows for Visitors section. I searched for the shortest line and fell in line. i took out my completed I-94 and Customs form, passport and the brown envelope. I saw the Immigrations Officer inside the window. I was gestured to come over as it was my turn. It says Home Security and Border Patrol on his jacket. It goes like this:

Officer: How are you doin'?

Me: Good.

Officer: Did you use to work?

Me: Yes.

Officer: As a what?

Me: .... (my work)

Officer: Before that?

Me: ... (my previous work)

Officer: And before that?

Me: ... (my work before my previous work)

(I was shaking... coz IT WAS SO DAMN COLD... and i was wearing a long thin skirt and slippers for crying out loud)

(And he freaking noticed that i was shaking... grrrr)

Officer: Are you okay?

Me: Yes, its cold and im groggy from the long flight.

Officer: Yes, it is a loooong flight.

(He looked at my I-94.)

Officer: *nodded then encircled the address i wrote on the I-94* Who lives here?

Me: My fiance.

Officer: Are you married?

Me: No

Officer: Did you get married?

Me: Not yet.

Officer: Raise both your hands so i can see.

Me: (raised my hands and kept smiling but grrrrr)

Officer: Oh! No wedding ring. Not married? *he had on a thin wicked smile*

Me: Nope.

(He told me to press my fingers on the scanner just like at the embassy.)

Officer: (he relaxed somehow and as he looked at every single page inside the brown folder proceeded to ask questions) Where did you meet?

Me: ... (answered him)

Officer: Got family here?

Me: No. (He didnt ask me about distant relatives hehe)

Officer: Is your family coming over?

Me: I dont know. Probably not.

Officer: Everything seems to be okay here.

(He stamped my passport and wrote a date on the I-94, tore it half then stapled the other half in my passport. He also gave me back the Customs Form)

Officer: Welcome to the United States. *he smiled*

Me: Thanks.

(He's quite tricky, isnt he?)

I went to get my luggage. It took awhile coz there were too many bags. I dragged 1 trolley (no charge). Found my bags. It was SO heavy.... NOBODY will help you... not even the airport staffs... they'll just look at you. I saw old people pulling their heavy bags from the converyor belt and lifting it to their trolley. I helped the old korean couple who sat next to me on the plane coz i was feeling a tad guilty. But we never really had a real conversation during the flight coz they spoke very lil english. Its the least i could do.

Now i had to go thru US Customs. The line was very long. I took out my passport, boarding pass and completed Customs Form. A new window opened so i rushed there... that cut off a few minutes of my waiting time. He didnt even look at my luggage. He just opened my passport and looked at the Customs Form then wrote "A" and encircled it. He pointed to the next room and said " Go thru there and follow the green arrows". I wondered what the "A" was. I struck me as i went thru that room, its "A" for Agriculture. There was nobody in the line so i was entertained immediately. The Customs Officer was nice. He asked "Are there any poultry products or fruits in my luggage... sealed or not.... like balut, mangoes... etc.?" I said, "No." He helped me lift my heavy luggage on the converyor belt and asked, "What about shoes?" I prolly looked confused coz he laughed and smiled. So I said, "Yes, a lot." He winked and joked, "Dont worry about it, you're a woman. You are allowed to have so many shoes." My luggage went thru the scanner and thats it. It just slided to the floor. So i asked looking even more confused, "Is that it? Am i done?" The other Customs Officer said "Yes." I said my thanks and sauntered away from that section. *Whew!* I looked back and there were these 2 japanese guys arguing in there while they searched and rummaged inside their open bags. Im glad i didnt bring any poultry products or fruits with me or id be stuck in that room.

Whats left is i had to recheck my luggage for my next flight. Theres a checkpoint, just showed them my boarding pass in my passport and they let me thru. Just fall in line the domestic section, no need to go to NWA counter to recheck it. You need to leave your checked in luggage right next to the conveyor belt... their staff will push it to the conveyor belt. Wait till its ON the conveyor belt before you leave just to be sure. It will go thru a TFA check while being rechecked. Next is the security check so i can go to the main terminal. So i took off my shoes and jacket, it will go thru the scanner with my carry ons and i went thru the metal detector. After that, i proceeded to the main terminal. I kept my passport from here on (they'll be checking your boarding pass only). I checked the board first which Gate is my next flight. Its not there yet, too early. I had to wait 3 hours before my flight before it appeared on the board. I found the restroom... washed my face and brushed my teeth. I have 4 hours left before my next flight. Its no biggie, its a huge big terminal, lots of shops to go thru, restaurants to eat. Yeyyy! And theres a bullet-like train inside the terminal *big grin*. So if you wanna go around the terminal, you can take your pick, its either the walkway or the train. It was COLD. Almost everyone is wearing winter shoes and im wearing slippers so i sorta stick out like a sore thumb haha.

Thats it.

This is solely based on my experience. :)

I-129F Sent------------------------------------------04.21.2008

Interview Date---------------------------------------09.12.2008 (white and pink slip)

Visa Received----------------------------------------10.20.2008

US Entry----------------------------------------------10.29.2008 (POE: Detroit)

Marriage----------------------------------------------12.18.2008

(Cant file AOS yet, had to wait after filing taxes)

AOS packet sent w/ EAD----------------------------03.19.2009

NOA1 - Receipt Notice-------------------------------03.27.2009

1st Biometrics Appointment Notice-----------------03.31.2009 (for I-485 & I-765)

Transfer Notice (to CSC)----------------------------04.09.2009

1st Biometrics Schedule-----------------------------04.21.2009 (Attendant said either my fingerprints had slightly faded or their scanning machine sucks... #######?!)

2nd Biometrics Appointment Notice----------------04.23.2009 (*sigh*)

2nd Biometrics Schedule----------------------------05.14.2009 (for I-485)

Received EAD (sent by mail)-----------------------05.18.2009

Welcome Notice-------------------------------------06.01.2009 (for I-485)

Approval Notice and Resident Card received------06.11.2009

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks Ping for sharing your very detailed POE :) I'll be printing this one. So it's really cold there already? brrrrrrrrrrr

BTW, How's your Halloween?

AOS

03-03-2009 - AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago office (USPS)

03-11-2009 - Notice Date

03-25-2009 - Case transferred to CSC

05-05-2009 - GC, EAD card, AP received. :D

Hello, I`m glad you arrived there safe and sound. I`m amazed with your very long experience.Thanks for sharing.You`re still energetic to write those experiences knowing that you been from a long, long flight.....Oh..well!!! I enjoy reading it thanks for the posts. For sure it will help me/us who`s P.O.E is Detroit. I will go that POE too in the future. Enjoy your new life there in US of A....Happy reunion....God speed!

bYG2g6k.jpgbYG2m4.png

Sent - July 5, 2011(California Service Center)

Received - July 7, 2011

Check cleared - July 12, 2011

Removal of the Conditional Status ( approved Sept. 9, 2011)

10 Years Green Card Received (Sept. 15, 2011)

Timeline

rei: Yeah it was cold in Detroit. I didnt even snow yet. In SA, the temperature is okay.... day or night. Only the windchill makes it a lot colder at night. We werent able to wear costumes coz we were out the whole day and there was no time to change coz we needed to drive to Austin with Matt's friends to check out a mini halloween mardi gras. We should go next year Rei Weeeeeeeeee and wear crazy costumes!

netscot: Thanks. :) It took me 3 days before i could sit down and type it all in hahaha. Have a safe trip too.

Edited by PingLocalHostess

Interview Date---------------------------------------09.12.2008 (white and pink slip)

1st Biometrics Appointment Notice-----------------03.31.2009 (for I-485 & I-765)

1st Biometrics Schedule-----------------------------04.21.2009 (Attendant said either my fingerprints had slightly faded or their scanning machine sucks... #######?!)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

oh too bad i was looking forward to see your costume... next year mardi gras? sounds good!

I am sure your fiance is so happy to have you again in his arms. Enjoy every minute of it. :)

AOS

03-03-2009 - AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago office (USPS)

03-11-2009 - Notice Date

03-25-2009 - Case transferred to CSC

05-05-2009 - GC, EAD card, AP received. :D

That is the best POE experience yet that I have seen written on VJ. You did a fantastic job in explaining everything to the Filipinas who haven't gotten over here yet. Welcome to the USA! :thumbs:

Timeline

rei: I was too. Aurgh! But theres always next year ;). Its a date alright? Next year, Austin at 6th street for Halloween. WEeeeeee. We have to find time :).

DARUMA: Gee, thanks :blush::) . Im glad you find it informative.

Edited by PingLocalHostess

Welcome to USA. I was in Detroit with hubby too last OCt29 after 16 days vacation in the Phil ( NW 72) .Indeed it was too cold just glad i was wearing my rubber shoes. Enjoy being with your honey there.

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ping, welcome at USA. I bookmark the page since its my POE too in future, thanks for the detailed experience and Happy reunite with you Fiance. Good Luck for the res of your Journey in USA.

Edited by JamesRachel

12-05-08 Arrived at Detroit Airport

12-06-08 Cincinnati, Ohio

12-13- 08 Detroit, Maine ( Home )

01-25-09 Sent EAD to St. Albans, Vermont

01-27-09 Confirm St. Albans, Vermont received!

03-30-09 Approval notice sent

03-31-09 EAD sent for printing

04-01-09 EAD Card Mailed

04-04-09 EAD Card in Hand

04-07-09 Applied SSN ( need to wait a 10 days or 2 weeks to deliver)

01-15-2011 10 yrs Green Card Receive

welcome to the US.. :dance:

i had my POE in detroit too..

love the detroit airport.. ;)

big and new.. :lol:

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

Timeline

Thanks guys. I tried to post as much info as i can get. :)

Welcome to the land of the white men and women, hahaha! I was not at all asked at my POE nor at the Customs but like you, I liked Narita airport. Did you try their udon noodles? Really great!

Have fun in Texas. It's freaking cold here in PA, geeze!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.