tito

Successful withdrawal of Affidavit of Support

61 posts in this topic

I'd send it to every single place that's ever touched the file...where you had the interview, the service center where you applied, the offices who sent you notices of action...all of them. Here's the buzzwords...the key is DISAVOWAL of agreement to act as sponsor. You can do this at any time BEFORE the green card is issued. Otherwise, you're on the hook. Good luck!

RE: [insert Immigrant Name]

Insert Alien Reg. #

Insert Application 3

Insert ANY AND ALL identifying information for immigrant

NOTICE OF WITHDRAWAL OF AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT FORM I-864; DISAVOWAL OF AGREEMENT TO ACT AS SPONSOR

Essential elements:

1. Affidavit of Support for proposed immigrant's Form I-485 for Adjustment of Status is specifically WITHDRAWN and REVOKED, and is and has been from its inception a NULLITY for the application referenced above.

2. Sponsor for proposed immigrant specifically DISAVOWS his (or her) agreement to act as sponsor for said proposed immigrant.

3. Insert your name (sponsor information), including address, telephone number.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I just hope Austin V can recover soon financially and be able to put his life back together for himself first, for no one deserves to go through what he is going through.

Thanks for the good wishes. I hope so, too! It's going to be tough... but I'll persevere.

My immigration attorney and USCIS (San Antonio office) at the InfoPass appointment I made to inform them of our divorce both said she's going to have a REALLY difficult time proving her case to get a waiver for her conditions. 1. Married less than a year when divorce was filed. 2. Very little mingling of finances (practically none). 3. No job, i.e. can't afford to pay an immigration attorney or the fees associated with the waiver. Though I expect she'll be swindling the money out of any man she knows and can make feel sorry for her.

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

Timeline
I'd send it to every single place that's ever touched the file...where you had the interview, the service center where you applied, the offices who sent you notices of action...all of them. Here's the buzzwords...the key is DISAVOWAL of agreement to act as sponsor. You can do this at any time BEFORE the green card is issued. Otherwise, you're on the hook. Good luck!

And that includes the conditional (2-year) Green Card! Not just the permanent (10-year) green card.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

• 5 months later...
Filed: Timeline

How did you go about withdrawing the Affidavit of Support? I am in the middle of the legalities and want to make sure I get this done ASAP. Please let me know. Thank you!

Things didn't work out, and it's a real shame, but sometimes pride...intense and foolish...has consequences.

Under the regulations, I withdrew the affidavit of support, and the adjustment of status was denied (no green card). I believe that deportation proceedings are now underway. In defense, the immigrant (from Cuba) has dispensation and can try to get her green card another way, but it's no longer my problem.

Anyway...moral of the story is, you CAN withdraw the affidavit of support any time until the green card is issued. Again...it's a true shame after all that was done to make this relationship work, and it's just time to move on...heal the wounds...

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Alej5,

Please read Titos postings on this thread, he wrote some instruction for withdrawing the 485, sorry that your marriage didn't work but now your faced with protecting yourself financially. I hope things work out for you.

idocare

NSC, NOA1 September 26th,03

received NOA1 in mail Oct. 03,03

RFE - received in mail March 29th,04

RFE returned April 17th,04

RFE received April 21,04 at NSC online

NOA2 received April 29th,04 via online

NOA2 received May 03,04 in mail

NVC receives file May 6th,04

NVC sends file to Nigeria May 11th,04

Lagos receives our file, notified thru e-mail May 19th,04

Victor goes and picks up packet #3....May 20th,04

Sent request for earlier interview date via e-mail May 20th,04

May 27th, Lagos won't change date.

August 16th, 2004 fly to Nigeria for Victors interview

August 19th, 2004 Interview date, visa approved.

August 25th, 2004 Victor picks up passport with visa stamp.

August 26th, 2004 fly back to USA

September 18th, 2004 Victor arrives in USA, Lord willing.

October 9th, 2004, we become husband and wife

October 25th, 2004 I learn that I'm pregnant.

Feburary 25th, 2005 AOS Appointment

( went to appt. and requested a reschedule)

June 7th, 05 gave birth to a boy child.

July 5th, 05 Victor packs he suitcase and leaves for good.

July 2005 2nd AOS appointment

( went and requested a reschedule )

August 2005- I file for divorce. and withdraw immigration paperwork.

Washington State/ Nigeria

Timeline
How did you go about withdrawing the Affidavit of Support? I am in the middle of the legalities and want to make sure I get this done ASAP. Please let me know. Thank you!

First, as Tito wrote, the Adjustment of Status must NOT have been approved with the "temporary" green card issued. Once that has happened, it's too late.

Next: Without doubt, you will need to send certified mail, with return receipt requested. At that point, I recommend a consultation with an immigration attorney, or two. I had a detailed consultation for only $50, so call a few and ask what they charge.

I've ended up in bankruptcy because of my wife, and now my employment options are limited and my life is just going to be more difficult for everything I do. I only wish mine had walked... It would have made the divorce (still pending) more in my favor. I'm paying over $2000 a month as ordered by the county court in support and benefits. I don't even have access to my own house!

To All in this process: NEVER, EVER add your spouse's name to your deed! It's not a requirement for the Adjustment of Status and just screws everything up in a divorce! Yes, experience speaks.

alej5: Don't delay on this, and Good Luck!

Austin,

I hope you recover fast. Sounds like she did married for GC mostly. I wonder how old is she? Looks like young and spoiled (is she very very cute and used to male attention?). Just want to add that for many Russians, America is a money paradise. Every USC is a flooded with money...(I am from Moscow and it is a rich city and people make more than here but still the same old stereotype about Americans).

So, even if your wife is from poor family, her expectations would be--everything expensive dresses, cars, vacations...(that is why I asked about age-if she actually had to work and make her living, she would understand life better).

And Russia culturally more like mid east-it is expected that man provides everything. Even a loser but man has some "status" in family/society (just check job adds-most good, well-paying jobs are advetised in Russia like "co is seeking a male to fulfill a postion of manager etc").

Have you ever thought why Russian woman look so 'sexy' (not other Eastern European but Russian, Ukranian, etc)-THEY ARE PUSHING THEIR SEXUALITY. Because it is what expected-without pushing sexuality women cannot advance in any field. But men is paying price for this too.

For most Russians budget in family is equal to male inadequacy (even if husband makes a lot-it is expected that man is generous, never creates budget etc). Russians are missing some rationality-but it is taken as a good sign. What can I say, there is some crazyness in Russian attitude, expectations, constant desire to live above means, etc.

I know some Russian girls who walked on USC after less than a year of marriage. You would say that because they got GC and that is it. But it is more complicated. These women were irritated almost every day of marriage due to small things (like budget, etc). While they liked their husbands in the begining, once they started to live together, it all fell apart (like one Russian friend of mine could not understand why she should not buy $20lb cheese if her husband is a cardiosurgeon; why he does not buy better car since he can afford it, etc; when I talk to husband, he just dont get it why she needs that cheese if she can get a very good one for $10, etc.)

My understanding is that most Russians get married in hopes to have a good family. But very soon they understood that the lifestyle is not what they hoped for (they need to show off their lifestyle; for many USC this is very alien). Some leave right away, some wait for GC to arrive.

PS: but I cold never understand one thing-what 40-50 years old USC guy expect when he brings cute 20 years old Russian girl to this country? That she is going to brighten his retirement while he gets fatter? One USC told me (he was 23 years older than his ex Russian wife who left him after 5 years of marriage) that he could not hope even for 5 years. They got good 5 years full with fun, etc. But she has grown up and left (never mind that she has not taken anything; just left once her job became secure). What can he do (he is almost 60, she is 23-she wants clubbing, he wants sleeping)?

First, as Tito wrote, the Adjustment of Status must NOT have been approved with the "temporary" green card issued. Once that has happened, it's too late.

Next: Without doubt, you will need to send certified mail, with return receipt requested. At that point, I recommend a consultation with an immigration attorney, or two. I had a detailed consultation for only $50, so call a few and ask what they charge.

I've ended up in bankruptcy because of my wife, and now my employment options are limited and my life is just going to be more difficult for everything I do. I only wish mine had walked... It would have made the divorce (still pending) more in my favor. I'm paying over $2000 a month as ordered by the county court in support and benefits. I don't even have access to my own house!

To All in this process: NEVER, EVER add your spouse's name to your deed! It's not a requirement for the Adjustment of Status and just screws everything up in a divorce! Yes, experience speaks.

alej5: Don't delay on this, and Good Luck!

Karina and Tomy

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
Austin,

I hope you recover fast. Sounds like she did married for GC mostly. I wonder how old is she? Looks like young and spoiled (is she very very cute and used to male attention?).

Thanks for the good wishes. I know I will not be able to recover fast. The divorce settlement has her taking EVERYthing that has been purchased since our marriage - furniture, fixtures, everything. She's even taken the toilet bowl brush! My lawyer is of the belief that if I try to get it split 50/50, the judge will view me as one of those Americans who went overseas to "buy" a wife - which couldn't be further from the truth. In any case, I'm screwed - plain and simple - and she gets rewarded for her illicit and possibly illegal ways.

As for the wife, she will be 33 in less than 2 months, and is attractive and very used to male attention. She denies it, but every moment we were together, other men were always staring at her.

So, even if your wife is from poor family, her expectations would be--everything expensive dresses, cars, vacations...(that is why I asked about age-if she actually had to work and make her living, she would understand life better).
She did have a job, but had been married twice before me, and had a fairly easy life in that she's always been able to seduce men into paying for everything she asks for.

I know some Russian girls who walked on USC after less than a year of marriage.
We were married less than 1 year when I filed for divorce (after she physically assaulted/batteried me).

These women were irritated almost every day of marriage due to small things (like budget, etc). While they liked their husbands in the begining, once they started to live together, it all fell apart (like one Russian friend of mine could not understand why she should not buy $20lb cheese if her husband is a cardiosurgeon; why he does not buy better car since he can afford it, etc; when I talk to husband, he just dont get it why she needs that cheese if she can get a very good one for $10, etc.)
I have been through that. Just because a friend bought his wife an old junker used car, my wife wanted a newer car to learn to drive. And she had "thrown away" $400 that I had sent her to learn to drive in Russia. All she did was bribe them to give her a driver's license. She never learned to drive, and never told me what she did with the money. I'm sure it went to buy candies and other junk food. (She has a VERY sweet tooth!)

My understanding is that most Russians get married in hopes to have a good family. But very soon they understood that the lifestyle is not what they hoped for (they need to show off their lifestyle; for many USC this is very alien). Some leave right away, some wait for GC to arrive.
Yes, that's how they lure the USC to marry them - to have a good family. Unfortunately, we don't always see through their disguises and how evil they can be.

PS: but I cold never understand one thing-what 40-50 years old USC guy expect when he brings cute 20 years old Russian girl to this country?
My wife and I are not that much different in age. She's just too greedy and has already found her next "victim", I think.

I'm still fighting the divorce battle. Hopefully ending soon, but I've got to make sure the Final Decree has the correct wording to prevent her from filing a suit against me for financial support (a la I-864 affidavit of support). I have heard of someone successfully executing a Final Decree that prevented this. Does anyone have a link or know more about this?

thanks!

Austin_Volgograd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Would be interesting to hear the wives's side of the story. My ex USC wife portrayed me as the most meanest, evilest, selfish, cruel, abusive, dirtiest man ever in the history of all mankind. But I had my side of the story as well, and somehow managed to gain full physical custody of our three children in a court of law after our kids underwent extensive background checking, professional counseling, and interrogation by court appointed attorneys.

Always two sides to every story, only reading one here.

I dont think you should worry about affidevit of support. It relates only to poverty levels-gov might push expences on you if she applies for some gov support. My girlfriend went to a few lawyers regarding I-864, nobody knew how to enforce it and she was told that alimony and affidevit of support dont relate anyhow in family court.

I feel for you Austin. I am sure that wife story would be different but I believe that divorce should be done in civilized manner no matter what. And taking toilet brush is way too cheap. And ruining your life in a process is not a smart move-it just does not improve hers (unless, ofcource, if you did not want to negotiate a reasonable pay off; and for people like her-it is a pay off).

I do believe that most people do want to start a good family. But there are exeptions. Sounds like your wife is one of them. Few Russian woman I know, who left after less a year of marriage, -just left without taking anything-just because they could not take the life with those men anymore. They never asked for alimony, child support-they have been just happy to leave and start again. All of them still friends with exes (of course, after a couple of years of no communnication and bitter feelings).

Austin,

I hope you recover fast. Sounds like she did married for GC mostly. I wonder how old is she? Looks like young and spoiled (is she very very cute and used to male attention?).

Thanks for the good wishes. I know I will not be able to recover fast. The divorce settlement has her taking EVERYthing that has been purchased since our marriage - furniture, fixtures, everything. She's even taken the toilet bowl brush! My lawyer is of the belief that if I try to get it split 50/50, the judge will view me as one of those Americans who went overseas to "buy" a wife - which couldn't be further from the truth. In any case, I'm screwed - plain and simple - and she gets rewarded for her illicit and possibly illegal ways.

As for the wife, she will be 33 in less than 2 months, and is attractive and very used to male attention. She denies it, but every moment we were together, other men were always staring at her.

She did have a job, but had been married twice before me, and had a fairly easy life in that she's always been able to seduce men into paying for everything she asks for.

I know some Russian girls who walked on USC after less than a year of marriage.
We were married less than 1 year when I filed for divorce (after she physically assaulted/batteried me).

These women were irritated almost every day of marriage due to small things (like budget, etc). While they liked their husbands in the begining, once they started to live together, it all fell apart (like one Russian friend of mine could not understand why she should not buy $20lb cheese if her husband is a cardiosurgeon; why he does not buy better car since he can afford it, etc; when I talk to husband, he just dont get it why she needs that cheese if she can get a very good one for $10, etc.)
I have been through that. Just because a friend bought his wife an old junker used car, my wife wanted a newer car to learn to drive. And she had "thrown away" $400 that I had sent her to learn to drive in Russia. All she did was bribe them to give her a driver's license. She never learned to drive, and never told me what she did with the money. I'm sure it went to buy candies and other junk food. (She has a VERY sweet tooth!)

Yes, that's how they lure the USC to marry them - to have a good family. Unfortunately, we don't always see through their disguises and how evil they can be.

PS: but I cold never understand one thing-what 40-50 years old USC guy expect when he brings cute 20 years old Russian girl to this country?
My wife and I are not that much different in age. She's just too greedy and has already found her next "victim", I think.

I'm still fighting the divorce battle. Hopefully ending soon, but I've got to make sure the Final Decree has the correct wording to prevent her from filing a suit against me for financial support (a la I-864 affidavit of support). I have heard of someone successfully executing a Final Decree that prevented this. Does anyone have a link or know more about this?

thanks!

Austin_Volgograd

Karina and Tomy

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway...moral of the story is, you CAN withdraw the affidavit of support any time until the green card is issued. Again...it's a true shame after all that was done to make this relationship work, and it's just time to move on...heal the wounds...

How long does it take these days to get the green card?

Tito and Austin please tell us how are your lives going??? Has it been any positive change??? It's always really sad to hear stories like the ones above, the heart is too delicate to play with, sorry that you got played! it's just a game for them and a LIFE for you, I am sorry

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Nicaragua

Marriage : 2008-02-21

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-04-01

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-10

NVC Received : 2008-07-11

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-07-21

Pay I-864 Bill AND Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-07-22

IV Payment Online: 2008-07-30

Sent Completed I-864 and DS230: 2008-08-01

DS230 and I864 entered to the system:2008-08-06

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-08-14 //// 35 days! /// Not bad!

Medical Exam: 2008-09-18

Interview Date : 2008-10-08

Visa Received : 2008-10-16

US Entry : 2008-10-18 POE: Houston

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2010-07-16

NOA Date : 2010-07-20

Biometrics Taken: 2010-07-29

RFE 2010/10/12

RFE Respond 2010/11/05

Aproverd: 2010/11/23

Card Received: 2010/11/27

I blame the system, from the beginning money and your financial resources become an issue, you must file i-134, then the i-864 form. Many of the girls think they can get alot if they divorce, they will more money that ever so why not?? Thats why this f-king system attratcs so many scammers and dishonest people

A girl I met in ukraine told me one time "everybody knows"

This system encourages divorce

Edited by Muddy

• 2 months later...

This is just so frustrating. Shame to women who are so evil. :bonk::angry:

I'm sorry to hear this had happen to you Austin.

I'm wishing you more and more luck in life. (F)

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Tito and Austin please tell us how are your lives going??? Has it been any positive change??? It's always really sad to hear stories like the ones above, the heart is too delicate to play with, sorry that you got played! it's just a game for them and a LIFE for you, I am sorry

Sorry for the late response. Somehow I didn't get notifications that there were responses on this topic.

Divorce is final as of August 27th, 2008 (1 year, 9 months after filing for divorce; reminder: filed after being married for 10 months).

Total losses:

Over $41,000 in one year; includes financial support (house, utilities, home phone, cell phone satellite TV, high speed internet, and cash payments) and final settlement of $6,000 cash.

Bankruptcy on my credit record for 10 years. Severely damages my ability to keep my job and to apply for other jobs, due to security requirements of my position.

Divorce - never, in a million years, did I think I would ever have a divorce.

No more family: wife, beautiful and loving stepdaughter.

They "had it made" here, with me. A nice, clean, new home (new as in recently built). Food. Clothing. Restaurants. Entertainment. Gifts. But, I believe, her greed stepped in and took over and she decided to hurt me as much as she could in the divorce. I hate that the court rewarded her for her behavior, claiming her to be "helpless".

On the day of the final hearing, the ex-wife was late to appear. Later, I found out why. She and her boyfriend were at my house, trying to break in and take whatever they could before the judge signed the final decree. This is because the decree stated that anything in her possession or control is hers. She wanted to ransack my house and steal whatever she could. Fortunately, the decree allowed me back in the house as of 12:01am (that morning) and I changed the locks.

Even though she was awarded a complete bedroom furniture set and was supposed to pick up ONLY the bedroom set, she and her boyfriend stole other property, hiding it in the drawers of the bedroom furniture, and while I went to the restroom. I should have inspected their trailer before they left, but they disappeared without even saying they were done. I should have stood by the door, watching everything they took from the house. I know... Could've, would've, should've. Too late now.

Only one week before the final hearing, she called me up to plead with me to let her live with me after the divorce. She claims it was for her daughter to go to school and to help her find a job here. She put her daughter on the phone to try and make my feelings for the daughter sway my decisions about her. It was very sad because the daughter used to understand and speak English, but after being exiled in Russia for 7 months with the ex-wife's parents, she forgot nearly all her English. It was all gibberish and I couldn't understand anything the daughter said. :( The ex-wife kept repeating that she loved me, and missed me. Yet, when she and her boyfriend were at the house stealing property that wasn't awarded to her, she was kissing on him. That was enough to prove to me, without a doubt, that she was just scamming me, using me, and lying to me from the very beginning.

I believe I have enough evidence now to submit to USCIS and ICE to convince them that this marriage was a fraud committed by her. When I spoke with them, they told me that due to the short time we were married, because I filed for divorce less than a year after our marriage, she will have a VERY difficult time removing her conditions and obtaining permanent residence.

And, by the way, I had my lawyer put a clause in the final decree that makes it impossible for the ex-wife to sue me, as allowed by the I-864 Affidavit of Support. The clause basically states that the cash settlement finalizes all financial obligation from me. I know it's not likely that the government will sue me for means-based services. So, this should get me off the hook with her.

Thanks to all for the kind words and concern. Even though she's out of my life, what she did to me is going to haunt me for 10 years (due to the bankruptcy). I'm trying to recover from all this as best I can. I still cry about losing my family, and I know it's going to take time. In the meantime, I just drink heavily to ease the pain. Just kidding. Actually, I surround myself with my friends and family who are supportive and caring. They are the best friends and family in the world!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.