VisaJourneyLady

Letter explaining no tax return

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My OH has been in the UK as a student for the last couple of years and so hasn't filed a tax return. We have a joint sponsor, so we should be fine as far as the poverty guidelines are concerned.

I have read that we need to write a letter explaining why he didn't file a tax return, but we have no idea what we would put in it. Was anyone else in this situation? What did you write? Example letters or links to the IRS doc's relating to this would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Pxx

The UK Wiki

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

File late returns, there is no penalty. US Citizen may be exempt from paying taxes on foreign income however they are not exempt from filing returns.

You are doing DCF for CR-1/IR-1 that visa REQUIRES an I-864 from you the petitioner, and I-864 REQUIRES two things from you, (IRS return for past year, and proof of US Domicile).

You can use a Joint sponsor in the states, but you need to be primary sponsor.

Read:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw73.html

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/articl...=122721,00.html

Also read page 12 (Should you file?): http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

File late returns, there is no penalty. US Citizen may be exempt from paying taxes on foreign income however they are not exempt from filing returns.

But they ARE exempt if they didn't have any income at all or had less than the filing threshold for their category.

See IRS filing requirements at http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#d0e466

Write a letter saying how much you earned and why it doesn't require filing and attach a copy of the IRS filing requirements.

Sep 11, 2007 ...... sent I-130 to Rome Embassy (USCIS District Office)

Oct 4, 2007 ........ received letter, I-130 approved and forwarded to Consulate in Naples

Oct 25, 2007 ....... received packet 3 by e-mail

Feb 1 2008 ....... got called for March interview but asked to postpone because not yet ready to move

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Write a letter saying that you were a full time student and unemployed for the year..........

Date it, sign it.

Short and sweet. Nothing more to add.

Edited by Nutty

Timeline

ok, sorry I didn't mention that my OH is the USC and earned no income over the last 3 years. He's working now, but only for the last month.

Does anyone have any example of the letter they wrote? It would be great just to see the wording.

The UK Wiki

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
ok, sorry I didn't mention that my OH is the USC and earned no income over the last 3 years. He's working now, but only for the last month.

Does anyone have any example of the letter they wrote? It would be great just to see the wording.

Date

Address to Consulate

To whom it may concern:

I, First Middle Lastname, was exemt from filing US Tax returns for years, 2XXX..... because I had no income.

Sincerely,

First Middle Lastname

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Date

Address to Consulate

To whom it may concern:

I, First Middle Lastname, was exemt from filing US Tax returns for years, 2XXX..... because I had no income.

Sincerely,

First Middle Lastname

:yes: Exaclty. Short and sweet. No hidden agenda, just the facts.

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

You are doing DCF for CR-1/IR-1 that visa REQUIRES an I-864 from you the petitioner, and I-864 REQUIRES two things from you, (IRS return for past year, and proof of US Domicile).

You can use a Joint sponsor in the states, but you need to be primary sponsor.

Read:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw73.html

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/articl...=122721,00.html

Also read page 12 (Should you file?): http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

Your response is incorrect according to the OP's needs. The OP is not the USC - her husband is. Also, she states that her husband was a student and not earning and therefore not needing to file tax returns. The I-864 does not require a tax return when the USC had no reason to file a tax return. A letter explaining why there is no tax return is perfectly sufficient.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Timeline

Thanks all, guess I keep looking for the complication, and there is none!! :thumbs:

I reckon I'll take a printout of some of the webpages linked above, just to back us up on the day of the interview. It would make me feel better to have something official looking to back me up. B)

The UK Wiki

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi Poiteen,

I had the same question about a month ago. I guess it's rare enough that people don't have sample letters to show.

Anyways, this is what I am planning on sending along to my Spanish husband for his interview.

Hope this helps!

To Whom It May Concern:

I am __________’s wife and petitioning sponsor. I did not file an income tax return for the year 2006 because I did not work. My then boyfriend, ____________, supported me during that time period. According to the filing requirements for my age group and single status, I needed to file a tax return only if I had earned at least $8, 450. Since I made no income for the year 2006, I was not required to file an income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service.

Sincerely,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
My OH has been in the UK as a student for the last couple of years and so hasn't filed a tax return. We have a joint sponsor, so we should be fine as far as the poverty guidelines are concerned.

I have read that we need to write a letter explaining why he didn't file a tax return, but we have no idea what we would put in it. Was anyone else in this situation? What did you write? Example letters or links to the IRS doc's relating to this would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Pxx

Well, this is what I did...I downloaded a 4506-T form off of the IRS website. One for year I wanted, filled them out and sent them in. Got my transcripts a couple of weeks later. One transcript shows "no tax filed for year 2005."

I then wrote a letter,

----------------------------------------------------

Date

NVC

NVC Address

RE: 2005 tax return

To whom it may concern:

I, XXXX SSSS, did not file an income tax return for the year of 2005 because I was out of the country all year and unemployed for the whole year.

signature.

-------------------------------------

Attached to the IRS transcript for that year.

So explain the cricumstances as to why there was no need for you to file, simply like I did for me, and you should have no problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

help help help help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello guyz this is my situation... im a usc and stayed out of the coutry for 2 years. got married and stayed there for a while... i came back in the us 2 months ago and filed the petition for my husband I-130..... im just wondering while my I-130 still pending can i go back to the philippines while my petition is pending? im concern about the domicile...

i called them and talked the officer and ask them if its ok to be out of the country while my petition for my husband is still pending.. and she said its ok as long im domicile in the us....

shes said as long my address is base on us residency would be fine.. and she ask me if my husband is out of the country... and i said yes.... she said its fine as long my husband is out of the country. and she said if they need more of the paper works to be done my relatives will let me know and inform me that i have a mail and need some documents for me...

i live with my sister and all my mails address there... i just renew my license and looking for a job right now.. but planning to go back 2 months from now.. please help i want to go back to the philippines and be with my husband and wait the approval for 1-13o please need an advice fellows.

by the way i didnt work for last 2 years so i dont have a tax return to file =(

thanks alot guyz =) and have a good day ahead of us ^_^ wink

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

Marriage: July 16, 2005

I-130 sent: Oct 27, 2007

California Service Center Recieved Oct. 29, 2007

NOA1: Jan 17, 2008

I-130 Approved: April 22, 2008

Received DS-3032/ I-864 Bill: June 3, 2008

AOS bill paid: June 18th 2008

AOS sent : June 30th 2008 Received July 1

AOS cover sheet print out: June 18, 2008

DS230 generated June 22,2008

DS230 PAID June 24, 2004

DS230 received July 3, 2008

NVC Case Completed July 14, 2008

NVC send the Case Complete to USEM Manila: Aug. 5th 2008

USEM recieved complete case from NVC Aug 8th 2008

paid debros aug 22,2008

Medical Sept 9,10 He passed Thank you God. God is always good.

Interview Date: Sept 29, 2008 at USEM Manila 8:30AM APPROVED!!!

Visa In hand: Oct 2, 2008 yahoo

POE Nov 17, 2008.

Green Card and S.S received Nov 28th, 2008

7420.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.