Amby

I miss England

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I would be interested to know what the differences are just for future reference. I assume both you and Gwen have lived in both the US and England with your spouses. I have only stayed out in the US with my fiance and I noticed that everything was so much cheaper than here in England. Literally, my money went twice as far as it does here, in fact, I had a hard time spending it all :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I would be interested to know what the differences are just for future reference. I assume both you and Gwen have lived in both the US and England with your spouses. I have only stayed out in the US with my fiance and I noticed that everything was so much cheaper than here in England. Literally, my money went twice as far as it does here, in fact, I had a hard time spending it all :P

There are almost too many differences, and too many subtle ones, to actually detail what there is to miss. For me, it was things like walks along Brighton Pier, fresh chips from a proper chippy, public transport that works (and before any of you Brits say anything, it's better than nothing, which is how much public transport there is where I grew up!), the NHS, driving a crazily fuel-efficient car, and the social life we have here. I was also pleasantly surprised to note that my BA carried more weight over here and I secured a much higher paying job right off of the bat (despite my worries!).

It was a siren call that made us come back. And believe me, the decision to give this up and go back to the US, where I have to pay for my incoming calls on my mobile phone and there's nary a piece of good chocolate in sight, was a difficult one. It's one we still agonize over.

Yes, the UK is expensive...it's no more expensive than living in the Metro NYC area, which is where we lived before. We will miss it when we leave.

Things like the rugby world cup final have had me thinking about home. There is nowhere here in the US that will have the atmosphere that a London pub will have when cheering on England. I will always miss bread, chocolate, my hairdresser etc, and I will always long for a night out with the girls, or sunday dinner at mum's, but I still get these things, only less frequently. As long as I can afford to keep nipping across the pond a couple of times a year, I am happy. The US is great and I have settled really well. I have an amazing husband and great friends, and everything i need. I will always miss England though !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

There are almost too many differences, and too many subtle ones, to actually detail what there is to miss. For me, it was things like walks along Brighton Pier, fresh chips from a proper chippy, public transport that works (and before any of you Brits say anything, it's better than nothing, which is how much public transport there is where I grew up!), the NHS, driving a crazily fuel-efficient car, and the social life we have here. I was also pleasantly surprised to note that my BA carried more weight over here and I secured a much higher paying job right off of the bat (despite my worries!).

It was a siren call that made us come back. And believe me, the decision to give this up and go back to the US, where I have to pay for my incoming calls on my mobile phone and there's nary a piece of good chocolate in sight, was a difficult one. It's one we still agonize over.

Yes, the UK is expensive...it's no more expensive than living in the Metro NYC area, which is where we lived before. We will miss it when we leave.

I suppose, for me, the inability to get a foot on the housing ladder over here was a big incentive for us to settle out there. My fiance also has closer ties to family and friends because he's never moved out of the town he grew up in. As a result, we have a great social life out there, whereas here my friends have all moved on to other places in the UK and Europe.

I will miss the chips and the english countryside though. And the NHS. I'm looking forward excitedly to my new life out there though. :)

Filed: Timeline

I think it's the memories. As much as I complained about walking everywhere I miss being able to walk up the street and get anything. Now I have to get in my car and drive 5 mins to get something. I miss taking the metro to tynemouth and in about 20 mins I'd be walking along the seaside whenever I felt like it. I miss my favorite sandwich shop at the top of the street and my friends there. I miss Sunday dinners with all our friends in England. We still do Sunday dinners but now it's with all my family. I miss crazy (it's crazy to americans) flavored crisps and good chocolate. Taking a train ride to London or Paris or somewhere else every few weeks. I miss the closeness of all these countries I had yet to explore but have plans to. I also miss not working lol. I hated it at the time but now that I own my own business it's kicking my ###. I think we will move back one day if we can afford it. All I have to do is convince Neil to kick his mom out of our house lol.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I've lived in England before, and I can't say I miss it one bit lol However, I empathize on another level - I am the USC, and I know from time to time, I get really homesick for Scotland. I think maybe it's because the last time we were pregnant, we were living in Scotland. Of all the weird things in the world, I miss public transportation, the need to walk everywhere, the banter, goofy things we used to do that we can't do in the States. My hubby thinks it's pretty funny because he's never been homesick and doesn't think he ever will be, but he understands my feelings and is really cute about it. Luckily the Pennsylvania country side looks a great deal like Scotland in some places, so we go for long rides in the middle of nowhere and it makes everyone happy. On the other hand, our lives were definitly not easier in Scotland, the cost of living is so much lower here, and we're able to give our children so much more.

I would still love a big fry up from Munchies in Paisley though :P I'm defo a sad sack!

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

Filed: Timeline
I think it's the memories. As much as I complained about walking everywhere I miss being able to walk up the street and get anything. Now I have to get in my car and drive 5 mins to get something. I miss taking the metro to tynemouth and in about 20 mins I'd be walking along the seaside whenever I felt like it. I miss my favorite sandwich shop at the top of the street and my friends there. I miss Sunday dinners with all our friends in England. We still do Sunday dinners but now it's with all my family. I miss crazy (it's crazy to americans) flavored crisps and good chocolate. Taking a train ride to London or Paris or somewhere else every few weeks. I miss the closeness of all these countries I had yet to explore but have plans to. I also miss not working lol. I hated it at the time but now that I own my own business it's kicking my ###. I think we will move back one day if we can afford it. All I have to do is convince Neil to kick his mom out of our house lol.

Jeez, we weren't far from one another! I lived close to Sunderland for 3 years.

I miss the UK too....so much so, D and I are booking me a ticket this week!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I understand that, not england, but my husband home country of romania, i miss it like crazy, and yes things were less stressful there. it will get better i promise, you wont miss it any less but it will get better.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
...... I'm defo a sad sack!

a sack of what?

PS I miss England too-but I am flying there in 2 weeks :D

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

I know my USC hubby is going to miss England so much when we have to leave. When we go back in '09 he will have spent almost 10 years here (moving here with one wife and leaving with a different one :lol: ) I think we are both going to adapting to the change, which isn't such a bad thing, at least he will understand my homesickness somewhat.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.