JVKn'CVO

SSN on K-1

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Sharing some information about obtaining an SSN on a K1 visa

Everyone feel free to add or correct anything :)

Saludos!,

Caro

*From Socialsecurity.gov

My immigration document shows K-1. How do I get a work Social Security number?

Question

I have come to the U.S. to marry my boyfriend. My immigration document shows “K-1.” How do I get a Social Security number so I can work?

Answer

The K-1 symbol indicates you are the fiancé of a U.S. citizen. As such, you are eligible for a Social Security number and for employment.

To apply for a Social Security number:

Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and

Show us documents proving:

Immigration status;

Work eligibility;

Age; and

Identity.

Take your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

For more detailed information, see Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens (Publication No. 05-10096) or Documents You Need for a Social Security Card.

*From travelstate.gov

How to Apply for a Social Security Number Card After your fiancé(e) has been admitted into the United States

he/she can apply for a social security number card by visiting one of the Social Security offices in your local area. To learn about how-to-apply, visit the website for the Social Security Administration.

*From Social Security Experiences

Information about obtaining a Social Security Number

The actual 'guidelines' from the National Social Security Administration say that either the 'Employment Authorized' stamp on the I-94 or the EAD Card (I-688B) should be sufficient proof. The Social Security Manual of Operations, however, states that a K-1 visa holder is a "legal alien not authorized to work". Hence, the only really acceptable documentation remains the EAD card, regardless of the 'Employment Authorized' stamp received at the port of entry. Technically, the K-1 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa. If the K-1 Visa holder does not marry the U.S. citizen in 90 days, he or she must leave the U.S., negating the need for a Social Security Number. Therefore, prior to marriage within the 90 day period, the INS and Social Security Administration do not know whether the K-1 Visa holder will in fact marry and become an alien with an immigrant intent. After marriage does take place, the Adjustment of Status process includes requesting an EAD which then becomes the action point for obtaining the Social Security number.

Social Security Offices seem to interpret the rules in different ways, and this has resulted in people not being able to get employment as quickly as they had planned. In November 2000 a memo was sent out to all Social Security Offices, stating that people who entered the country on a K-1 Visa are entitled to a Social Security Number. More details here

If you need to find out which your local Social Security Office is then go to this web page: https://s3abaca.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-home.html

You can get more information by calling Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213. You can call for an appointment or to speak to a service representative between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days. If you have a touch-tone phone, recorded information and services are available 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days.

From a newsgroup regular:

FYI, the attached link is the SSA's answer to the following question: "I have come to the U.S. to marry my boyfriend. My immigration document shows "K-1." How do I get a Social Security number so I can work?" SSA states that, in addition to the standard documents verifying identity, it just needs to see the document issued by the INS showing your K-1 status (i.e. I-94 showing K-1). I would recommend that people print the page out and bring it with them to the SSA office so that they are not refused a SSA just because they don't have the EAD.

SSA FAQ

EM-00154

The EM-00154 memo states: "A nonimmigrant alien in K-1 alien status is authorized to work based on that status and is no longer required to show and employment authorization document (EAD) as proof of employment authorization when applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) card." The memo further states: "When an alien in K-1 status applies for an original or replacement SSN card, accept as proof of employment authorization either an unexpired:

I-94 showing the alien is admitted as a K-1 for a 90-day period; or

EAD (Form I-688B showing "274A.12(A)(6)" on the face of the card under Provision of Law or Form I-766 showing "A-6" on the face of the card under Category).

The memo also states: "Some I-94s issued to K-1s are stamped or annotated "Employment Authorized," and some are not. Either way, the I-94 is proof a K-1 alien is authorized to work." The memo is File no. EM-00154 dated November 1, 2000"

First paragraph - "This Emergency Message replaces EM-00009 which expired in September 2000 and POMS instructions, RM 00203.500C.2., for K-1 aliens. A K-1 alien is the fiancee of a U.S. citizen"

Second paragraph - "A nonimmigrant alien in K-1 alien status is authorized to work based on that status and is no longer required to show an employment authorization document (EAD) as proof of employment authorization when applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) card."

Download the memo or go to RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants Policy C.

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Best answer is to do a search onhere for MDYoung.

That guy knew all there is to know about the SS office.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Best answer is to do a search onhere for MDYoung.

That guy knew all there is to know about the SS office.

MD knew the SSA inside and out :thumbs:

Edited by jasman0717

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

I can't find his profile, or posts, would you have the link?

I only found this thread In praise of MDYoung

but no posts of him (only quotes)

:blink:

Caro

***Justin And Caro***

Filed: Timeline
Sharing some information about obtaining an SSN on a K1 visa

Everyone feel free to add or correct anything :)

Saludos!,

Caro

*From Socialsecurity.gov

My immigration document shows K-1. How do I get a work Social Security number?

Question

I have come to the U.S. to marry my boyfriend. My immigration document shows “K-1.†How do I get a Social Security number so I can work?

Answer

The K-1 symbol indicates you are the fiancé of a U.S. citizen. As such, you are eligible for a Social Security number and for employment.

To apply for a Social Security number:

Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and

Show us documents proving:

Immigration status;

Work eligibility;

Age; and

Identity.

Take your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

For more detailed information, see Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens (Publication No. 05-10096) or Documents You Need for a Social Security Card.

Guess who you can thank for that being in the SSA FAQs?

*From travelstate.gov

How to Apply for a Social Security Number Card After your fiancé(e) has been admitted into the United States

he/she can apply for a social security number card by visiting one of the Social Security offices in your local area. To learn about how-to-apply, visit the website for the Social Security Administration.

Also guess who got the state department Webmaster to put that on their site and get rid of the Enumeration at entry link.

*From Social Security Experiences

Information about obtaining a Social Security Number

The actual 'guidelines' from the National Social Security Administration say that either the 'Employment Authorized' stamp on the I-94 or the EAD Card (I-688B) should be sufficient proof. The Social Security Manual of Operations, however, states that a K-1 visa holder is a "legal alien not authorized to work". Hence, the only really acceptable documentation remains the EAD card, regardless of the 'Employment Authorized' stamp received at the port of entry. Technically, the K-1 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa. If the K-1 Visa holder does not marry the U.S. citizen in 90 days, he or she must leave the U.S., negating the need for a Social Security Number. Therefore, prior to marriage within the 90 day period, the INS and Social Security Administration do not know whether the K-1 Visa holder will in fact marry and become an alien with an immigrant intent. After marriage does take place, the Adjustment of Status process includes requesting an EAD which then becomes the action point for obtaining the Social Security number.

Social Security Offices seem to interpret the rules in different ways, and this has resulted in people not being able to get employment as quickly as they had planned. In November 2000 a memo was sent out to all Social Security Offices, stating that people who entered the country on a K-1 Visa are entitled to a Social Security Number. More details here

EM-00154 is so oldl and out of date it isn't funny. So old the woman that wrote it retired lat year. RM 00203.500 C1 is what matters now.

If you need to find out which your local Social Security Office is then go to this web page: https://s3abaca.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-home.html

You can get more information by calling Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213. You can call for an appointment...

Try getting an appointment to submit an SSN application.

From a newsgroup regular:

FYI, the attached link is the SSA's answer to the following question: "I have come to the U.S. to marry my boyfriend. My immigration document shows "K-1." How do I get a Social Security number so I can work?" SSA states that, in addition to the standard documents verifying identity, it just needs to see the document issued by the INS showing your K-1 status (i.e. I-94 showing K-1). I would recommend that people print the page out and bring it with them to the SSA office so that they are not refused a SSA just because they don't have the EAD.

SSA FAQ

EM-00154

The EM-00154 memo states: "A nonimmigrant alien in K-1 alien status is authorized to work based on that status and is no longer required to show and employment authorization document (EAD) as proof of employment authorization when applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) card." The memo further states: "When an alien in K-1 status applies for an original or replacement SSN card, accept as proof of employment authorization either an unexpired:

I-94 showing the alien is admitted as a K-1 for a 90-day period; or

EAD (Form I-688B showing "274A.12(A)(6)" on the face of the card under Provision of Law or Form I-766 showing "A-6" on the face of the card under Category).

The memo also states: "Some I-94s issued to K-1s are stamped or annotated "Employment Authorized," and some are not. Either way, the I-94 is proof a K-1 alien is authorized to work." The memo is File no. EM-00154 dated November 1, 2000"

EM-00154 Old News

First paragraph - "This Emergency Message replaces EM-00009 which expired in September 2000 and POMS instructions, RM 00203.500C.2., for K-1 aliens. A K-1 alien is the fiancee of a U.S. citizen"

Second paragraph - "A nonimmigrant alien in K-1 alien status is authorized to work based on that status and is no longer required to show an employment authorization document (EAD) as proof of employment authorization when applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) card."

Download the memo or go to RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants Policy C.

Once again RN 00203.500 C1 is what matters

Edited by I Quit

:blink:

Caro

Was MD a he or a she? Anyway, I think the account was deleted

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Timeline

Well he quit because some woman here with a big mouth pissed him off, but I know where he hangs out if you have an SSN related question.

Timeline
Well he quit because some woman here with a big mouth pissed him off, but I know where he hangs out if you have an SSN related question.

Thank you Iquit. I don't have any questions (at least not at this time :whistle: ). I only intended to share information I came across researching for myself.

I'm posting the document you mentioned at the bottom.

Saludos,

Caro

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants

C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

The following policy applies to employment authorization by class of admission:

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

The following sections list nonimmigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

For those with an asterisk (*), the principal alien, spouse, and child all have the same classification code. In some instances, both the husband and wife are both principal aliens when the classification is E-1, E-2. Accept their statements that both are principals.

For those with a double asterisk (**) (non-immigrant E-1, E-2, and L-2 classifications), the spouse is also authorized to work without specific DHS authorization. The E-1, E-2, and L-2 spouse is not required to apply to DHS for an EAD card as documentary evidence of work authorization but may choose to do so. When the E-1, E-2, or L-2 spouse applies for an SSN card and does not submit an EAD as evidence of employment authorization, he/she must submit, in addition to evidence of immigration status, evidence of a marital relationship to the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien. The evidence of marital relationship between the applicant and the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien is a marriage document (indicating the marriage occurred prior to admission to the U.S. as an E-1, E-2, or L-2 non-immigrant).

NOTE: Ask the alien whether he/she is the principal alien who is authorized to work or the spouse, child or other dependent of the principal alien and see RM 00203.500C.1., RM 00203.500C.2., and RM 00203.500C.3. when the alien is the spouse (other than an E-1, E-2 or L-2 spouse) or child.

*K-1 Fiancé(e) of U.S. citizen

***Justin And Caro***

MDYoung and I_Quit provide very valuable information, especially in response to oft repeated questions about the SSA. I hope he continues to do so in spite of others who say negative things on here. There are more people here on VJ who appreciate MDYoung and I_Quit than those who are negative about them.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

I think it's a smart idea to take the specific language from the SSA with you when filing for a SSN because even though K-1s are within their rights to get a SSN, the local offices are often confused/misinformed/uninformed. We had a really bad experience with this.

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

So did we, cellarlily. Unfortunately, the people at our dopey office didn't even believe their own documentation when I put it in front of them! :lol: They seemed more hell bent on proving that I was wrong.

SA4userbar.jpg

So did we, cellarlily. Unfortunately, the people at our dopey office didn't even believe their own documentation when I put it in front of them! :lol: They seemed more hell bent on proving that I was wrong.

:wacko: They're nutbags. My husband ended up going to a different office because they wouldn't believe that he was eligible.

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.