10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Can a sponsor revoke their sponsorship at anytime?

No, if you are talking about a sponsor as in a petitioner or even a joint sponsor - no, not once they have signed the I-864 affidavit of support.

No, if you are talking about a sponsor as in a petitioner or even a joint sponsor - no, not once they have signed the I-864 affidavit of support.

I believe the I-864 can be withdrawn BEFORE any benefits (like a green card) are given to the petitioner, and if the AOS petition is unsuccessful for other reasons, then the sponsor isn't bound by the guideline. (Our AOS is pending; I think that I could withdraw sponsor ship before adjudication.)

But otherwise, no. Once it's approved, it stays there until the conditions on the document (40 quarters of work, etc., etc.) are fulfilled. It can't be cancelled later down the road, in the event of divorce or the like.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually they can if the I-485 has not been approved yet.

See this post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=1081597

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes and no. A sponsor who has signed and submitted an I-864 can withdraw the affidavit up to the visa issue date for an immigrant visa or up to the AOS approval date, whichever is applicable. Only one could be applicable in any given case.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you sign a Form I-864 on behalf of any person (called the "intending immigrant") who is applying for an immigrant visa or for adjustment of status to a permanent resident, and that intending immigrant submits the Form I-864 to the U.S. Government with his or her application for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, under section 213A of the Immigration and Nationality Act these actions create a contract between you and the U. S. Government.

The intending immigrant's becoming a permanent resident is the "consideration" for the contract.

I agree with everyone above, I should not have assumed that the person was already a permanent resident - above is a quote from page 17 of the I-864.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, not to complicate the varioety of aswers you have received, I did read a stroy of a person, who having realized that his wife was not really in love with him, believed his wife had was immigrated only to get into the US. He was told that he could have had her conditional GC revoked if he chose to go through that process. So, what I understand from that story is that only once you have the full GC can someone no longer pull back support.

Aug 2002

Entered US on TN work permit

2003 through 2007

Renewed TN Annually

March 2007

Eloped in Central Park on vernal equinox, then honeymooned in Paris.

April 2007

Early April: Renewed TN on return from Paris

June 2007

Sent in AOS/I-130/EAD package

July 2007

July 14: DOA1 - delay in processing because CIS told me to send package to the wrong center.

Late July: Received Biometrics notice

Aug 2007:

Aug 2: Biometrics Appointment

Aug 8: Received RFE for missing medical forms which CIS told me originally not to send in!!

Aug 16: Medical Forms Received at CIS

Aug 24: Received e-notice that EAD card was ordered (No more TN! yay!)

Aug 30: Last day of work on TN. Laid off from job. :(

September 2007

September 5: Received Card! Just in time. Started part-time grad school today.

October 2007

Oct 2: Received Interview Notice: Whoo-hoooo!

November 27 2007

Had GC interview, which went smooth as silk. Received passport stamp, too.

Timeline
Well, not to complicate the varioety of aswers you have received, I did read a stroy of a person, who having realized that his wife was not really in love with him, believed his wife had was immigrated only to get into the US. He was told that he could have had her conditional GC revoked if he chose to go through that process. So, what I understand from that story is that only once you have the full GC can someone no longer pull back support.

This is apples and oranges. Without the "support" of the USC spouse, it can be more difficult (far from impossible) to remove conditions but that "support" is for filing and any interview. The I-864 is binding when the conditional green card is in hand or when the immigrant visa is issued and the obligations continue until one of the prescribed conditions are met.

Withdrawing the I-864 is not the same as withdrawing support.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 8 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

This is apples and oranges. Without the "support" of the USC spouse, it can be more difficult (far from impossible) to remove conditions but that "support" is for filing and any interview. The I-864 is binding when the conditional green card is in hand or when the immigrant visa is issued and the obligations continue until one of the prescribed conditions are met.

What do you mean withdrawing the I-864 is not withdrawin support? The I-864 is support, the affidavit of support.

So what's the bottom line?

Say the immigrant has a conditional permanent resident card, but the marriage sucks and ends before soliciting change to (non-conditional/regular) permanent resident. If the USC spouse wants, can he/she be removed from any obligations of support? Does having a co-sponsor help? Does the immigrant have to leave the US if the USC spouse removes themself from any support obligation? and/or does not participate in the solicitation of a permanent resident card? Or if there is a co-sponsor, can the immigrant stay and the USC is removed from sponsorship responsibilities?

4/28/06 sent I-129 package to NSC

5/1/06 NOA1

6/10/06 case transferred from NSC to CSC

7/3/06 rec'd IMBRA

7/11/06 touched - IMBRA rec'd by CSC

9/1/06 touched - email NOA2 - approved!

9/21/06 NVC letter stating package sent to Caracas

10/5/06 & 10/14/06 DHL website confirms CCS rec'd packages (hopefully one of them was mine)

12/10/06 Interview - passed

1/5/07 arrival to US

1/27/07 marriage

putting together AOS package - confused about medical - translated personal immunization record myself, went to ACS, paid fee, got documents in a sealed envelope "DO NOT OPEN"

3/26/07 mailed AOS & EAD to PO BOX

3/28/07 delivered

4/23/07 Biometrics

Timeline

What do you mean withdrawing the I-864 is not withdrawin support? The I-864 is support, the affidavit of support.

So what's the bottom line?

Say the immigrant has a conditional permanent resident card, but the marriage sucks and ends before soliciting change to (non-conditional/regular) permanent resident. If the USC spouse wants, can he/she be removed from any obligations of support? Does having a co-sponsor help? Does the immigrant have to leave the US if the USC spouse removes themself from any support obligation? and/or does not participate in the solicitation of a permanent resident card? Or if there is a co-sponsor, can the immigrant stay and the USC is removed from sponsorship responsibilities?

The I-864 is a contract between the sponsor and the Federal government to reimburse the government for means tested benefits paid to the beneficiary. It does not obligate the sponsor to actually support the beneficiary. So, you can stop supporting the beneficiary but you are not released from the obligation to the government, should there actually be one at some point.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.