Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mi_illusion_st

revoke sponsorship?

10 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

Can a sponsor revoke their sponsorship at anytime?

No, if you are talking about a sponsor as in a petitioner or even a joint sponsor - no, not once they have signed the I-864 affidavit of support.

I believe the I-864 can be withdrawn BEFORE any benefits (like a green card) are given to the petitioner, and if the AOS petition is unsuccessful for other reasons, then the sponsor isn't bound by the guideline. (Our AOS is pending; I think that I could withdraw sponsor ship before adjudication.)

But otherwise, no. Once it's approved, it stays there until the conditions on the document (40 quarters of work, etc., etc.) are fulfilled. It can't be cancelled later down the road, in the event of divorce or the like.

Can a sponsor revoke their sponsorship at anytime?

Yes and no. A sponsor who has signed and submitted an I-864 can withdraw the affidavit up to the visa issue date for an immigrant visa or up to the AOS approval date, whichever is applicable. Only one could be applicable in any given case.

If you sign a Form I-864 on behalf of any person (called the "intending immigrant") who is applying for an immigrant visa or for adjustment of status to a permanent resident, and that intending immigrant submits the Form I-864 to the U.S. Government with his or her application for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, under section 213A of the Immigration and Nationality Act these actions create a contract between you and the U. S. Government.

The intending immigrant's becoming a permanent resident is the "consideration" for the contract.

I agree with everyone above, I should not have assumed that the person was already a permanent resident - above is a quote from page 17 of the I-864.

Edited by trailmix

Well, not to complicate the varioety of aswers you have received, I did read a stroy of a person, who having realized that his wife was not really in love with him, believed his wife had was immigrated only to get into the US. He was told that he could have had her conditional GC revoked if he chose to go through that process. So, what I understand from that story is that only once you have the full GC can someone no longer pull back support.

Well, not to complicate the varioety of aswers you have received, I did read a stroy of a person, who having realized that his wife was not really in love with him, believed his wife had was immigrated only to get into the US. He was told that he could have had her conditional GC revoked if he chose to go through that process. So, what I understand from that story is that only once you have the full GC can someone no longer pull back support.

This is apples and oranges. Without the "support" of the USC spouse, it can be more difficult (far from impossible) to remove conditions but that "support" is for filing and any interview. The I-864 is binding when the conditional green card is in hand or when the immigrant visa is issued and the obligations continue until one of the prescribed conditions are met.

Withdrawing the I-864 is not the same as withdrawing support.

This is apples and oranges. Without the "support" of the USC spouse, it can be more difficult (far from impossible) to remove conditions but that "support" is for filing and any interview. The I-864 is binding when the conditional green card is in hand or when the immigrant visa is issued and the obligations continue until one of the prescribed conditions are met.

What do you mean withdrawing the I-864 is not withdrawin support? The I-864 is support, the affidavit of support.

So what's the bottom line?

Say the immigrant has a conditional permanent resident card, but the marriage sucks and ends before soliciting change to (non-conditional/regular) permanent resident. If the USC spouse wants, can he/she be removed from any obligations of support? Does having a co-sponsor help? Does the immigrant have to leave the US if the USC spouse removes themself from any support obligation? and/or does not participate in the solicitation of a permanent resident card? Or if there is a co-sponsor, can the immigrant stay and the USC is removed from sponsorship responsibilities?

What do you mean withdrawing the I-864 is not withdrawin support? The I-864 is support, the affidavit of support.

So what's the bottom line?

Say the immigrant has a conditional permanent resident card, but the marriage sucks and ends before soliciting change to (non-conditional/regular) permanent resident. If the USC spouse wants, can he/she be removed from any obligations of support? Does having a co-sponsor help? Does the immigrant have to leave the US if the USC spouse removes themself from any support obligation? and/or does not participate in the solicitation of a permanent resident card? Or if there is a co-sponsor, can the immigrant stay and the USC is removed from sponsorship responsibilities?

The I-864 is a contract between the sponsor and the Federal government to reimburse the government for means tested benefits paid to the beneficiary. It does not obligate the sponsor to actually support the beneficiary. So, you can stop supporting the beneficiary but you are not released from the obligation to the government, should there actually be one at some point.

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.