Alan Greenspan has harsh words for Bush

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Harsh words for Bush

Greenspan says president's agenda driven by politics, not sound policy

By MATTHEW BENJAMIN

Bloomberg News

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan has criticized President Bush for pursuing an economic agenda driven by politics rather than sound policy, with little concern for future consequences.

Soon after Bush took office, Greenspan wrote in a new book, it became evident that the Treasury secretary and White House economists would play secondary roles in decisions on taxes and other issues. In addition, officials with whom he had worked in the administration of President Ford changed after Bush brought them back to Washington, he said.

"The Bush administration turned out to be very different from the reincarnation of the Ford administration that I had imagined. Now, the political operation was far more dominant," Greenspan, 81, wrote in The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World. The book, an advance copy of which was obtained by Bloomberg News, is scheduled for publication on Monday, though an embargo on news stories was broken by the Wall Street Journal.

In the 531-page tome, which ranges from Greenspan's childhood in New York to his 18 years at the Fed, he recounts his relationships with the six presidents he served.

Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton were the most intelligent, he wrote, while he found Ford the most normal and likable. Ronald Reagan was the most devoted to free markets, though his grasp of economics "wasn't very deep or sophisticated."

George H.W. Bush, the current president's father, was very cordial, though Greenspan's relationship with him was complicated by differing views on monetary policy, he wrote. Bush blamed high interest rates, in part, for his 1992 election loss to Clinton.

Greenspan saved his harshest analysis for the current president. Soon after Bush took office in 2001, the president set about implementing a campaign promise to cut taxes, a policy Greenspan said he believed at the time wasn't well-conceived.

"Little value was placed on rigorous economic policy debate or the weighing of long-term consequences," he wrote.

In 2001 testimony before Congress, Greenspan was widely interpreted to have endorsed Bush's proposed tax cuts. In the book, he characterized his testimony as politically careless and said his words were misinterpreted.

Greenspan's frustration extended to Congress, which let spending get out of control, he wrote. " 'Deficits don't matter,' to my chagrin, became part of the Republicans' rhetoric," he said.

"The Republicans in Congress lost their way. They swapped principle for power. They ended up with neither. They deserved to lose," he said.

The Republicans lost control of both houses of Congress in the November 2006 elections.

Even though he had differences with Bush on economic policy, Greenspan said the president promised him early on he wouldn't interfere with Fed policy. He kept his pledge, Greenspan said.

Greenspan also rejected the belief held by some critics that Vice President ####### Cheney tells Bush what to do.

"From my brief acquaintance" with Bush, Greenspan wrote, "it was my impression that he was his own man."

When Bush brought one-time Ford aides Cheney — whom Greenspan describes as having a "sphinxlike calm" — and Donald Rumsfeld, back to Washington, the Fed chairman saw a "golden opportunity to advance the ideals of effective, fiscally conservative government and free markets."

It wasn't to be.

"I was soon to see my old friends veer off in unexpected directions," wrote Greenspan, who had been encouraged by the budget surpluses of the Clinton administration. "Then with George Bush came the tax cuts, unmatched by decreased spending, and, in the wake of Sept. 11, still more openhanded spending."

Greenspan's career in Washington began in 1967 when he worked on Nixon's presidential campaign. Though he said he found Nixon thoughtful and articulate, he soon saw a dark side. Just before the 1968 Republican convention, Green- span attended a staff meeting where Nixon fulminated angrily and at length about Democrats.

"His speech was so intense and so laced with profanity that it would have made Tony Soprano blush," wrote Greenspan.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/5136647.html

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Timeline

Not surprised. There isn't an expert - in any field - that would give Bush high marks on anything. The guy is an all-around disaster. One that America will pay for for a good long while after he leaves the White House. There hasn't been a worse President. Ever. Period.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

but in the end, we are better off than we would have been with Al Gore ot kerry.

Daniel

:energetic:

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was sitting in my sons civics class this week and they were talking about the Presidents recent speech. Keep in mind that my son is autistic and practically everything he says is way outside the box and way above his level. As the class was talking he rose his hand and said "excuse me, everyone has been talking about this war with the U.S and on T.V the president said this is HIS war." His teacher didn't have an answer for that one! Things that make you go hmmmmm