sandybabe_onuh

My husbands family forced him to divorce me, PLEASE I NEED ADVISE

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My husbands family forced him to file for a divorce from me, and it was granted yesterday in court in Kubwa Abuja Nigeria. My husband told me even before our marriage that, according to custom and cultural beliefs and that the elders of the family can and do have a say in younger ones lives, can do this.

Yes , my husband did file the divorce papers, but with very much pressure from his elders to do so. He says he can appeal to a higher court and have the divorce reversed.

My question here is, if the higher court does reverse the divorce, will this be a great issue when he goes for his interview for the I-130? Will explination to the consulate of why and what happened be acceptable to them?

Please, i need help and advice here, please.

Also, anyone else that has a spouse or fiance in nigeria, please contact me if you or your spouse or fiance knows anything about the reversal process of a divorce in Nigeria.

My God!!! I can't believe this is happening to us. Please pray all will be ok with us. We have waited over 3 1/2 yrs to finally be together and now after only 5 months of marriage, all this takes place.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise you can offer me.

god bless you all

sandybabe_onuh

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Your husband is a grown man and if he so choses can make his own decisions no matter who disagrees with him.

He had no problem marrying you in the first place so why are the elders having

a problem with it now ?

Is he a fullah ? Muslim ? What is his religious background ?

If he is a Christian it would seem very unusual to be pushed towards a divorce.

There is enough difficulty with the Lagos embassy as it is and to explain this scenario to them will in my opinon cause a big problem. I have never read about

anything like this on VJ.

Sounds to me you are divorced now and no longer qualify for the petition and may have to start all over.

It also sounds like he no longer wishes to be married and has made his choice for whatever reason.

Best wishes and I am sorry you have to go through this after all this time !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

My husbands family forced him to file for a divorce from me, and it was granted yesterday in court in Kubwa Abuja Nigeria. My husband told me even before our marriage that, according to custom and cultural beliefs and that the elders of the family can and do have a say in younger ones lives, can do this.

Yes , my husband did file the divorce papers, but with very much pressure from his elders to do so. He says he can appeal to a higher court and have the divorce reversed.

My question here is, if the higher court does reverse the divorce, will this be a great issue when he goes for his interview for the I-130? Will explination to the consulate of why and what happened be acceptable to them?

Also, anyone else that has a spouse or fiance in nigeria, please contact me if you or your spouse or fiance knows anything about the reversal process of a divorce in Nigeria.

My God!!! I can't believe this is happening to us. Please pray all will be ok with us. We have waited over 3 1/2 yrs to finally be together and now after only 5 months of marriage, all this takes place.

god bless you all

sandybabe_onuh

It is not clear to me whether your former husband wishes to be married to you and pursue a spouse visa. What is clear is that at the moment you are not married. If he choses to go to a higher court and reverse the divorce, and is successful before any visa interview is scheduled then you have a husband again and were technically never divorced.

What are his plans?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

god bless you all

sandybabe_onuh

It is not clear to me whether your former husband wishes to be married to you and pursue a spouse visa. What is clear is that at the moment you are not married. If he choses to go to a higher court and reverse the divorce, and is successful before any visa interview is scheduled then you have a husband again and were technically never divorced.

What are his plans?

If you will be put under AP/AR and they do document checks to verify

everything, this could still come up in the interview with so much bona fide trouble at Lagos

it will be a big hurdle to face the paper trail.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm sorry but if my husband EVER filed for divorce I don't care what pressure he was under he'd be h-i-s-t-o-r-y!!!!!

:diablo:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Hi Everyone,

god bless you all

sandybabe_onuh

Life is not a joke. Talk to your husband what he wants. If he loves you, he won't bow down to his family pressure.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would agree on this one :thumbs:

Life is not a joke. Talk to your husband what he wants. If he loves you, he won't bow down to his family pressure.

If your husband's parents forced him... it was him and only him that went ahead with filing a divorce.

I love my parents dearly and respect them a lot but I would never ever bow down to pressure from anyone when it came to my family.

Hi Everyone,

god bless you all

sandybabe_onuh

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

WOW......WOW......The only thing I say is pray, if he Loved you as much as you Love him this would have never come up. After 3 1/2 years he was getting tired of being there without you. I certainly agree with the person that said he would be H-I-S-T-O-R-Y, OUTTA HERE, WITHOUT A CHANCE IN HE** TO GET ME BACK. He can't leave you and take you back at leisure, that's not what a marriage is about. When the visa was finally approved he would have been so far away from this people so why do their opinions matter. They dont There is no way that you can't bet this will not happen again. Now I think he married you for different reason other than Love. None-the-less you still have to pray and seek God for healing that he will make this a thing of the past and a learning experience. I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope that this will not happen to no one else

CASE COMPLETE (THANK YOU JESUS) December 13, 2007

.....Dont you know that Gods Favor is more precious than Life....

I never would've Made it without You Jesus.....He allows some things to Run there coarse, but have no fear God is in Control......He has the VERY LAST say So and he will perform his word.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I really don't know the whole situation, but your husband is an adult and needs to act like one. I don't care what my friends/family say, said or may say about my husband, he is MY HUSBAND and I love him. Nothing they can say, do, or tell me to do can change my mind on this. Your husband needed (needs) to stand up to his family. Best of luck to you (F)

I am really, really sorry this has happened to you. The damage is done though: he filed, didn't do anything to reverse it, waited it out, and now the divorce is granted.

I'd be very wary of wanting this man in my life.

I'd think this is likely to come out through a background check by the embassy and I could see it being a problem too. I hope I'm wrong though. I also hope this man gets his act together and decides what he wants: to be an adult and in charge of his own life, or to be a slave to his family forever.

Best of luck, I do hope things work out (F)

Timeline (2nd):

5/29/2009 - Filing I-751 Removal of conditions

6/01/2009 - CSC received I-751

6/04/2009 - check cashed (fast!)

6/08/2009 - received I-797C (receipt date 6/01)

6/22/2009 - received Biometrics Appt. Notice

7/01/2009 - received rescheduled Appt. Notice

7/23/2009 - Biometr. Appt.

7/24/2009 - A touch, a touch!

8/20/2009 - APPROVED! Oh, glorious day!

8/25/2009 - Card production e-mail received

8/31/2009 - Card received. Error :(

9/05/2009 - Returned green card with evidence of error & I-90

9/16/2009 - received I-797C (receipt date 9/14)

10/27/2009 - Correct card issued

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

i feel u should talk to your husband what he wants

i am really sorry to hear all this

i really personally hate such physchotic men who care so much about thr families and doesnt care for their wife ,

prayers for you .

india.gifusa.gif

NVC:

03/14/2007-NVC ASSIGNS CASE NUMBER

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL AND DS-3032 GENERATED

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL FEES MAILED AND DS-3032 MAILED

04/03/2007-NVC ACKNOWLEDGES CHOICE OF AGENT

04/10/2007-I.V FEE BILL GENERATED

04/18/2007-I-864 GENERATED

04/20/2007-I.V. BILL RECEIVED & MAILED TO N.V.C

04/23/2007-I-864 SENT TO NVC

04/26/2007-I.V. FEE BILL & I-864 ENTERED INTO THE NVC SYSTEM

04/30/2007-NVC BARCODE & INSTRUCTIONS FOR DS-230

05/09/2007-DS-230 SENT

05/23/2007-CASE COMPLETED

VISA APPROVED .

05/XX/2007-FLIGHT To JFK POE

another step of I-751 coming near :)

p.s. My opinion is only what i read research and get advices from experienced people.I aint any

lawyer .

.png

Namastey !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I'm sorry but if my husband EVER filed for divorce I don't care what pressure he was under he'd be h-i-s-t-o-r-y!!!!!

:diablo:

Ditto and Amen to that!!!

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Your husband is a grown man and if he so choses can make his own decisions no matter who disagrees with him.

He had no problem marrying you in the first place so why are the elders having

a problem with it now ?

Is he a fullah ? Muslim ? What is his religious background ?

If he is a Christian it would seem very unusual to be pushed towards a divorce.

There is enough difficulty with the Lagos embassy as it is and to explain this scenario to them will in my opinon cause a big problem. I have never read about

anything like this on VJ.

Sounds to me you are divorced now and no longer qualify for the petition and may have to start all over.

It also sounds like he no longer wishes to be married and has made his choice for whatever reason.

Best wishes and I am sorry you have to go through this after all this time !

That is one of the more important questions in getting to the bottom of this. What is his religious affiliation?

If he's a Christian he is supposed to leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.