boing

What is the difference between CR1 and IR1?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I have been married for 5 yrs. I want to know the difference between CR1 and IR1? Which form I have to use?

The forms are the same. The difference is, if one has been married for less than 2 years at the time of getting immigrant visa (CR-1) and entering the US with immigrant visa, a conditional green card will be issued. That person would have to remove conditions after 2 years of GC issuance. Person married for more than 2 years, is awarded IR-1 immigrant visa.

If you are adjusting status from K3, and since you have been married for 5 years, you'll get little IR-6 mark on GC.

USCIS will figure it out which class you are belonging to...

IR1 stands for Immediate Relative type 1, I think.

If you married with same person for more than 2 years when you get interviewed, it will be considered as IR-1 and they will give permanent resident card (I-551) with 10 year validity.

If you married with less than 2 years for same person when you get interviewed, they will issue Conditional permanent resident card with 2 year validity marked as CR-1.

Difference between IR-1 and CR-1 is following.

- IR-1 will receive 10 year validity versus CR-1 will receive 2 year validity.

- IR-1 may need to renew their Permanent Resident Card (also known as Green Card) when 10 year validity (expiry) day comes, but even if you don't renew it, or you miss it, you don't loose Legal Permanent Resident Status. You just have a couple of restrictions such as Country In/Out (Foreign country travel), Naturalization... You can renew it whenever it is convenient for you even AFTER expiry date.

- CR-1 needs to file I-751 to remove the condition for your Green Card for 2 year validity, and need to PROVE your marriage is indeed maintained with same person for those 2 years. There are some exceptions, but you have to file I-751 to remove the condition. You can file I-751 from 90 days prior to expiry date to expiry date, and if you miss it, you will loose your legal permanent resident status.

Except above, it is same.

Do I miss anything? :-)

I think if you married with same person for 5 years, it will be qualified for IR-1.

Edited by moonhunt

• 2 years later...
Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Dose it mean that IR-1 immigrant to USA can apply for naturalization (USA Citizenship) after 3 years? or they still need to wait 5 years (actually 4.75 years) before applying for naturalization ?

Read the Guides; http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;

o

the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and

o

the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements.

It doesn't matter what type of immigration visa was used to enter the US with.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

this is annoying for us, my husband's interview is october 27th and our 2 year wedding anniversary is november 1st...couldn't we ask them to give him an ir-1 visa then? or even just change it before he goes in to the embassy?

on one hand i'm positive he's going to get AP anyways, so most likely they will not be done until after november 1st... :(

i don't want to piss them off either...

or possibly, do we wait till he has finished with AP and then go and have him ask for the IR1 visa when he's picking it up? or is this possible to do when he is at the POE?

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
this is annoying for us, my husband's interview is october 27th and our 2 year wedding anniversary is november 1st...couldn't we ask them to give him an ir-1 visa then? or even just change it before he goes in to the embassy?

As long as he comes to the USA after your anniversary, he'll get the 10 year green card; just make sure to point out to the border agent that he's married longr than two years.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

As long as he comes to the USA after your anniversary, he'll get the 10 year green card; just make sure to point out to the border agent that he's married longr than two years.

it's that easy? really? and they'd be obliged to do that? awesome, thanks!

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

• 7 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

<!--quoteo(post=3289844:date=Sep 8 2009, 05:27 AM:name=Penguin_ie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Penguin_ie @ Sep 8 2009, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3289844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3289822:date=Sep 8 2009, 03:39 AM:name=enraptured)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (enraptured @ Sep 8 2009, 03:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3289822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this is annoying for us, my husband's interview is october 27th and our 2 year wedding anniversary is november 1st...couldn't we ask them to give him an ir-1 visa then? or even just change it before he goes in to the embassy?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it's that easy? really? and they'd be obliged to do that? awesome, thanks!

We are in a similar situation. My wife's CR1 is going through NVC right now. But, she plans on coming to the US Sep 1 and our 2 year wedding anniversary will be Aug 30. I would like to know if you were given the IR1 visa upon entry to the USA?

K-3/K-4 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

Marriage : 2008-08-30

I-130 Sent : 2009-10-20

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-30

I-129F Sent : 2009-11-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-11-10

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-02-23

Your I-129f was approved in 105 days from your NOA1 date.

I-130 Approval : 2010-02-23

Your I-130 was approved in 116 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Comments : Received email notice on 2/24/2010 for I-129F and I-130 approvals. No NOA2s yet by mail.

We are in a similar situation. My wife's CR1 is going through NVC right now. But, she plans on coming to the US Sep 1 and our 2 year wedding anniversary will be Aug 30. I would like to know if you were given the IR1 visa upon entry to the USA?

It's not the new visa you're given at POE but a new classification. Depending on IO, you may need to be persistent to get them to change it to IR as not all will do it (or are not experienced enough to make changes) - make sure to have marriage certificate with you to point out the marriage date.

Otherwise, Infopass to double check the green card will be issued as 10-year one.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• 3 months later...

It's not the new visa you're given at POE but a new classification. Depending on IO, you may need to be persistent to get them to change it to IR as not all will do it (or are not experienced enough to make changes) - make sure to have marriage certificate with you to point out the marriage date.

Otherwise, Infopass to double check the green card will be issued as 10-year one.

how long is the road to citizenship with either the ir1 or the cr1 visa?

Timeline

how long is the road to citizenship with either the ir1 or the cr1 visa?

Assuming you remain married, 3 years after the POE entry date as printed on your first greencard. Ie it doesn't matter if you got CR-1 or IR-1 for the length of time, just for the extra step and expense of ROC.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Assuming you remain married, 3 years after the POE entry date as printed on your first greencard. Ie it doesn't matter if you got CR-1 or IR-1 for the length of time, just for the extra step and expense of ROC.

can you provide any reference for this? I need to convince my godparents to support my wife via the i-864. Thanks

Jeff

Timeline

mod penguin.jpg

• 2 years later...
Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello

If i get my visa ( 1 yr and 8 months after wedding anniversary ) will i get CR-1 Visa ?

If i enter USA 5 months after getting my visa(CR-1) ! Can i change type of my Visa From CR-1 to IR-1 ?

If yes What should i do ?

Do i have to specify in border !

Mean if i get CR-1 visa ! and enter to USA 2 years after wedding anniversary can i get permanent resident without conditional (10 yrs GC).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.