Shar Taylor

Foreign Divorce

14 posts in this topic

I recently received an RFE concerning my foreign Divorce. I have been married twice to men from my country of origin. My 1st marriage was while I reside in Trinidad and got divorced after I migrated to the US. Second marriage I was living in the US got married to another person from my country of origin and divorced later on. Both divorce were absolute in that foreign country and USCIS is asking for proof of either parties were living in that country at time of divorce. They both still reside in the foreign country but not sure what USCIS is asking for

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

May I ask you, where both your marriages were concluded and which country issued your final divorce decree in each case? Did any of your ex spouses immigrate to the US and where they resided when your divorces became final? Thank you

1st marriage both myself and husband resided in Trinidad & Tobago, divorce was finalized in Trinidad & Tobago, I migrated to the US before the divorce was finalized in Trinidad and Tobago.  2nd husband resided in Trinidad and Tobago, while I was a green card holder in the USA,  we got married in Trinidad and Tobago, and divorce was finalized in Trinidad and Tobago. Neither husband did not reside or have immigrant status in the US, neither was there any petition for them to migrate to the US.  They both still live in Trinidad and Tobago.

Edited by Shar Taylor

I recently received an RFE concerning my foreign Divorce. I have been married twice to men from my country of origin. My 1st marriage was while I reside in Trinidad and got divorced after I migrated to the US. Second marriage I was living in the US got married to another person from my country of origin and divorced later on. Both divorce were absolute in that foreign country and USCIS is asking for proof of either parties were living in that country at time of divorce. They both still reside in the foreign country but not sure what USCIS is asking for

1st marriage both myself and husband resided in Trinidad & Tobago, divorce was finalized in Trinidad & Tobago, I migrated to the US before the divorce was finalized in Trinidad and Tobago.  2nd husband resided in Trinidad and Tobago, while I was a green card holder in the USA,  we got married in Trinidad and Tobago, and divorce was finalized in Trinidad and Tobago. Neither husband did not reside or have immigrant status in the US, neither was there any petition for them to migrate to the US.  They both still live in Trinidad and Tobago.

Timeline

I think what USCIS requests makes sense, they want to be sure that both your ex's were duly informed about the proceedings. Being a legal resident of T&T at that moment shows they must have been well aware.

But how do I proved that they were still living in the country of Trinidad and Tobago where the divorce decree was finalized.  What document will be required.  Keep in mind 1st divorce was 20 years ago, second divorce was about 13 years ago. So I trying to figure out what proof can I provide that they were living in that country during the time of divorce

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Shar Taylor said:

But how do I proved that they were still living in the country of Trinidad and Tobago where the divorce decree was finalized.  What document will be required.  Keep in mind 1st divorce was 20 years ago, second divorce was about 13 years ago. So I trying to figure out what proof can I provide that they were living in that country during the time of divorce

i dont think they are asking for that. they want the official divorce decree. they are not concerned with where anyone was living. the only time that could come into play was if they HAD immigrated here and you were still responsible for them under the I-864. since neither of them ever lived here, its a non issue.

Edited by debbiedoo

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline

This is probably country specific, and largely depends upon whether or not the ex's will cooperate. What I would consider, is: registration records (registered address history), employment letters, tax filings and personal notarized statements. Maybe the authority that finalized the divorce can be of some help, they should keep proof of duly informing your ex's about proceedings somewhere in archive, these should bear their address at that time. Can you please scan the RFE for convenience and post it here (have your personal information removed)

Edited by HP+IC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

i dont think they are asking for that. they want the official divorce decree. they are not concerned with where anyone was living. the only time that could come into play was if they HAD immigrated here and you were still responsible for them under the I-864. since neither of them ever lived here, its a non issue.

never mind, i see the RFE was FOR that.

that seems weird to me. i would guess the documents associated (not necessarily the decree itself) with the divorces would show the other persons address somewhere?

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
18 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

never mind, i see the RFE was FOR that.

that seems weird to me. i would guess the documents associated (not necessarily the decree itself) with the divorces would show the other persons address somewhere?

Probably not. They are trying to figure whether the divorces were legitimate and are acting as per their manual. To me, the full court decree will rather bear the address and not, say, the certificate of divorce. Again, country specific.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 9/21/2018 at 10:42 AM, Shar Taylor said:

you do not need to be living there to get a divorce,  just have to serve the papers on the resident of that country

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.