OliverBa

DCF Guangzhou Process

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

So I have everything ready to submit the I-130 petition, and I was readying the VJ guide that said if we have the other documents ready at the time we submit the first petition, they may accept it which would expedite the process. I'm trying to get a checklist of what those documents are when we are asked to submit the D-230. Especially since my husband is not Chinese, some of the documents I believe he will need to get from his own country or have his siblings send it to him. I've heard that each office/embassy may require different documents, so I'm wondering if anyone has gone through DCF in Guangzhou and could tell me what documents they required. 

Also as far as the affidavit of support, my sister will be doing the affidavit of support, since I have yet to reestablish residency in the states, and we will be using her address for everything. Do I still need to fill out the affidavit of support to sponsor my husband, or just have her fill it out? I'm a little confused about that part.

DCF China

07/15/2018: Married

10/22/2018: Filed I-130 @ Guangzhou Embassy

11/06/2018: Received Emailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

11/27/2018: Received Mailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

11/28/2018: Interview at the Embassy

12/15/2018: We were informed by letter from the embassy that based on how we got married, that we were not legally married technically and therefore could not file an I-130, unless we could provide evidence showing that our marriage license would be recognized by the issue authority (the Court).

Jan-July 2019: Attempted unsuccessfully to get married in 5 other countries; my fiancé's tourist visa application was continuously denied which left us with only the K1 option

K1 Visa

08/28/2019: Filed I-129F K1

09/04/2019: NOA1 Received

9 hours ago, OliverBa said:

Hi Everyone,

So I have everything ready to submit the I-130 petition, and I was readying the VJ guide that said if we have the other documents ready at the time we submit the first petition, they may accept it which would expedite the process. I'm trying to get a checklist of what those documents are when we are asked to submit the D-230. Especially since my husband is not Chinese, some of the documents I believe he will need to get from his own country or have his siblings send it to him. I've heard that each office/embassy may require different documents, so I'm wondering if anyone has gone through DCF in Guangzhou and could tell me what documents they required. 

Also as far as the affidavit of support, my sister will be doing the affidavit of support, since I have yet to reestablish residency in the states, and we will be using her address for everything. Do I still need to fill out the affidavit of support to sponsor my husband, or just have her fill it out? I'm a little confused about that part.

Do you mean the DS-260 and not the D230? It looks like the DS-230 is meant for Diversity Visa and Cuban Family Reunification Parole applications.

Anyway, here's some information from the Guangzhou embassy: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/GUZ_Guangzhou.html . They have an interview checklist which should list everything you need (though you'll likely receive a more complete list once your I130 has been approved) here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/GUZ_Guangzhou.html#pre_interview_checklist .

Your husband will likely have to get a police certificate from each country where he has lived for more than 6 months after the age of 16.

As far as the I-864, yes, you're required to be your husband's primary sponsor, even if you have no US income. Both you and your sister will have to file I864s.

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorge V said:

Do you mean the DS-260 and not the D230? It looks like the DS-230 is meant for Diversity Visa and Cuban Family Reunification Parole applications.

Anyway, here's some information from the Guangzhou embassy: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/GUZ_Guangzhou.html . They have an interview checklist which should list everything you need (though you'll likely receive a more complete list once your I130 has been approved) here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/GUZ_Guangzhou.html#pre_interview_checklist .

Your husband will likely have to get a police certificate from each country where he has lived for more than 6 months after the age of 16.

As far as the I-864, yes, you're required to be your husband's primary sponsor, even if you have no US income. Both you and your sister will have to file I864s.

OMG Thank you so much! this was EXACTLY what I needed, and yes I did mean the DS-260 haha. As far as the affidavit of support, as a primary sponsor, I will fill the I-1864, and my sister should also provide the I-864, is that correct?

Then I should provide my last year's tax transcript along with my 1099, and my sister provides her last year's tax transcript along with her W-2?

DCF China

11/06/2018: Received Emailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

11/27/2018: Received Mailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

12/15/2018: We were informed by letter from the embassy that based on how we got married, that we were not legally married technically and therefore could not file an I-130, unless we could provide evidence showing that our marriage license would be recognized by the issue authority (the Court).

Jan-July 2019: Attempted unsuccessfully to get married in 5 other countries; my fiancé's tourist visa application was continuously denied which left us with only the K1 option

K1 Visa

2 hours ago, OliverBa said:

OMG Thank you so much! this was EXACTLY what I needed, and yes I did mean the DS-260 haha. As far as the affidavit of support, as a primary sponsor, I will fill the I-1864, and my sister should also provide the I-864, is that correct?

Then I should provide my last year's tax transcript along with my 1099, and my sister provides her last year's tax transcript along with her W-2?

That is correct. You can find the full instructions for the I864 here

DCF Mexico

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi, just wanted to give an update as I going through this process. Appointment was scheduled to file the I-130 on Monday, October 22nd at 9:15am. If anyone plans to go to th Guangzhou embassy I recommend staying at the Mei Cheng Hotel 美成酒店 which is directly across the embassy on the north side, 500rmb for one night. The entrance for citizens is at the north west corner of the embassy so literally a 1 minute walk from the hotel.

Showed my passport and appointment letter to the guard, he let me in and then I went through security, no bags or phones allowed in so make sure you take everything you need from your bags before you go in (I left my wallet and had to go running back to get it)

once you enter the embassy, you’ll go up to the 4th floor and walk straight to the back and there is a small window with maybe 12 chairs in front of it, the lady at the window will call you name, I just so arrive right as she called my name. I have her my documents which were held together with paper clips. She went through all the pages of the application I-130 and I-130a. (Btw I wrote in N/A for any and all questions that didn’t apply or could not be answered so now field was left blank)

She asked to see my passport, my original marriage license, and my husband’s original passport, which I didn’t have and explained that he was traveling with it so that’s why I don’t have it, and that seemed to be fine. She asked me about my proof of bonafide marriage which was a land deed, I guess she had never seen one before or didn’t see our names on it st first but I pointed it out and the it was ok. Shr then asked me about my Chinese address, I told her it was on the first page, she didn’t understand so I told her again it so the first page, which was my cover page and at the bottom it I typed my Chinese address, phone number, and email address. She said ok and wrote something next I my address and then She stamped a few of the pages but I couldn’t see what the stamp said. The whole interaction was very friendly and jovial.

She then gave me a piece of paper and told me to go to the 3rd floor and pay the fee and then come back to her. I went down and then realized I didn’t have my wallet with me and I decided to ask to cashier about the method of payment: only US Dollars, Chinese Yuan, or American Credit Card is accepted. Chinese debit card, American debit card, Alipay or WeChat pay (for those of us who have lived in China for so long that we got used to using our phones to pay for everything haha) are NOT accepted. So I exited the building, got my bag and my wallet and went across the street to the ICBC back to get cash. The ICBC bank is on the west side of the embassy. I went back through security and up to the 3rd floor and paid in cash, total fee in Chinese yuan was 3750¥. 

I went back up to the 4th floor, and sat down in one of the chairs. The lady at the window saw me and called me back up. I gave her the receipt and she said “Ok all done” I told her thank you and then asked about how I would get notified about the result, she hesitated a minute, which kind of threw me off for a second because everything was going smoothly up until then, and then she said I would get and email or something in the mail. I was going to ask her when I should expect it, but I decided not to push my luck and just said thank you and left. 

I felt pretty I’d about the whole process afterwards, like a weight had been lifted off of me. I was so nervous about it before. Anyway, I’m awaiting my NOA1 now I guess. From what I read it usually takes 5 days, maybe up to 2 weeks depending, so I’ll just be calm and wait. I’ll give them until November 10th before I start freaking out and panicking haha.

DCF China

K1 Visa

That's awesome. Don't freak out if you don't get an NOA1, it seems that DCFers in many countries never get it (I didn't get an official one). This seems to be especially the case when delivering the I130 in person, seeing as how you know that your packet has been received because you physically dropped it off there.

DCF Mexico

Timeline
8 hours ago, Jorge V said:

That's awesome. Don't freak out if you don't get an NOA1, it seems that DCFers in many countries never get it (I didn't get an official one). This seems to be especially the case when delivering the I130 in person, seeing as how you know that your packet has been received because you physically dropped it off there.

Yeah, that might be the case actually. I guess I'm confused about the NOA2 and Packet 3...I know the NOA1 just states that they received my application, but what is the NOA2 and Packet 3? 

DCF China

K1 Visa

9 hours ago, OliverBa said:

Yeah, that might be the case actually. I guess I'm confused about the NOA2 and Packet 3...I know the NOA1 just states that they received my application, but what is the NOA2 and Packet 3? 

NOA2 notifies you when your I130 has been approved or denied by USCIS. Once your I130 is approved your petition will be transferred from the local USCIS field office to the embassy's IV (immigrant visa) unit. For DCFers both of these entities are in the same building, but the transfer of responsibility still occurs. Once the IV unit receives your petition they'll enter it into their system and send you Packet 3. This packet includes your case number and instructions on how to fill out the DS260, schedule your interview, and schedule the medical.

If you attached form G1145 with your packet you'll receive NOA2 by email and possibly regular mail. I received the email notification the day after it was approved and the snail mail version several weeks later. I received packet 3 five days after the embassy received my petition.

DCF Mexico

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorge V said:

NOA2 notifies you when your I130 has been approved or denied by USCIS. Once your I130 is approved your petition will be transferred from the local USCIS field office to the embassy's IV (immigrant visa) unit. For DCFers both of these entities are in the same building, but the transfer of responsibility still occurs. Once the IV unit receives your petition they'll enter it into their system and send you Packet 3. This packet includes your case number and instructions on how to fill out the DS260, schedule your interview, and schedule the medical.

If you attached form G1145 with your packet you'll receive NOA2 by email and possibly regular mail. I received the email notification the day after it was approved and the snail mail version several weeks later. I received packet 3 five days after the embassy received my petition.

5 days after? That's amazing!

The G1145 form was the one thing I forgot to include in my packet, I didn't even realize it until I was on the plane going back to my city and started freaking out. I'm just hoping they ignore that fact considering I put my email address, phone number, and address on the cover letter as points of contact. If not, I guess I'll have to wait for the letter or packet three. I'm also wondering where exactly they will send packet three, I'm assuming my Chinese address, but on the form, I used my sister's address (which is also the intended residence address) in the States as my mailing address, but my physical current address as my Chinese address. And they specifically ask at the Guangzhou embassy that you give them a separate typed letter with your name and address written in Chinese character, so I'm hoping and assuming that is where they will send everything. 

DCF China

K1 Visa

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

So, I called the guangzhou office last week and asked about the e-notification form I forgot to submit with my original petition, and they told me I could email it to them. I emailed it, they emailed me back a few hours later and said they received it and had added it to my file. Now today I get this email

NOTICE OF ADDITIONAL PROCESSING 

REQUIREMENTS AND INTERVIEW

They have requested that I and my husband go to the embassy Nov 29th for an interview and bring the original documents we previously submitted in support of the petition. Is this somewhat normal? Has anyone else had this happen after they submitted the petition? I tried to do a search but all I can find is administrative processing, but this isn't administrative processing I don't think, they are, I assume, wanting to take to me and my husband together and go through the information together before they decide whether or not to submit it to the embassy. I don't know. I'm also trying to figure out why this would happen, I don't think I've heard of others being asked to do this.

DCF China

K1 Visa

8 hours ago, OliverBa said:

So, I called the guangzhou office last week and asked about the e-notification form I forgot to submit with my original petition, and they told me I could email it to them. I emailed it, they emailed me back a few hours later and said they received it and had added it to my file. Now today I get this email

NOTICE OF ADDITIONAL PROCESSING 

REQUIREMENTS AND INTERVIEW

They have requested that I and my husband go to the embassy Nov 29th for an interview and bring the original documents we previously submitted in support of the petition. Is this somewhat normal? Has anyone else had this happen after they submitted the petition? I tried to do a search but all I can find is administrative processing, but this isn't administrative processing I don't think, they are, I assume, wanting to take to me and my husband together and go through the information together before they decide whether or not to submit it to the embassy. I don't know. I'm also trying to figure out why this would happen, I don't think I've heard of others being asked to do this.

This is the first time I've seen this, though keep in mind that every USCIS field office and embassy has different processes. What normally happens is that your petition is approved and you'll be allowed to complete the DS260 and schedule your interview at the embassy. This doesn't seem to be that as you haven't received NOA2 yet.

You're right in assuming that this isn't AP, as AP occurs after the interview but before the visa is issued. This seems more like a RFE (request for evidence) which is when the field office requests missing or additional documents needed to make a decision. RFEs are normally handled via mail/online, however, so this different, but again each field office has it's own processes.

Hopefully someone with experience in Guangzhou can chime in. If not, then take everything you can to the embassy, even things that weren't in your original petition if you think it makes sense. Please report back so that others who encounter this in the future can be better prepared!

DCF Mexico

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jorge V said:

This is the first time I've seen this, though keep in mind that every USCIS field office and embassy has different processes. What normally happens is that your petition is approved and you'll be allowed to complete the DS260 and schedule your interview at the embassy. This doesn't seem to be that as you haven't received NOA2 yet.

You're right in assuming that this isn't AP, as AP occurs after the interview but before the visa is issued. This seems more like a RFE (request for evidence) which is when the field office requests missing or additional documents needed to make a decision. RFEs are normally handled via mail/online, however, so this different, but again each field office has it's own processes.

Hopefully someone with experience in Guangzhou can chime in. If not, then take everything you can to the embassy, even things that weren't in your original petition if you think it makes sense. Please report back so that others who encounter this in the future can be better prepared!

-----------------------------

This is in reference to the petition you filed.  You are scheduled to attend an interview as noted below. 

Date:  Thu Nov 29, 2018

Time:  8:30AM

Both the petitioner and beneficiary must attend the appointment. 

Please bring this letter, each person’s government-issued identification that has a photo (e.g., passport), and the originals of the documents you previously submitted in support of the petition.  Any document that you provided in any language other than English must be accompanied by an accurate and complete translation into English by an individual who is not a party to the petition.

------------------------------------

Yeah, this seems so strange and different. I haven't been able to find anything online about it and I'm trying to figure out what could've caused this. There are only two things I can think of, 1: I didn't have the beneficiary's original passport, as he did not come with me because I didn't think he needed to, so I just had the copy of it, but I remember she did ask me for the original passport and I just told her that he was traveling with it and needed it today. or 2: On his application it asked if he had ever been in the united states, and he, of course, said no because he hasn't, but we do have a marriage license issued from the District of Columbia, not China, as we did a semi-proxy marriage where we filled out the marriage application and a third party went down to the courthouse with notarized copies of our IDs to submit the application (which in DC is allowed), so I was thinking maybe that could be a red flag that they saw. I'm trying not to freak out about it and I'm a little peeved that the interview isn't until 3 weeks from now, I'd rather it be sooner but such is life. I'll keep you guys updated. 

DCF China

K1 Visa

I've been lurking and following your DCF process since I plan to go through it in Guangzhou as well towards the end of next year.  I also haven't seen anything like this.  Sounds to me they just want to verify all your documents in person, perhaps there were some fraud red flags due to the process in which you married.  I certainly wouldn't worry about it, they probably just want to hear from you both directly in person to understand some of the documents you submitted.  Since you are doing DCF it's much easier to clear things up one on one instead of doing everything through the mail.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 11/8/2018 at 9:59 AM, givionte said:

I've been lurking and following your DCF process since I plan to go through it in Guangzhou as well towards the end of next year.  I also haven't seen anything like this.  Sounds to me they just want to verify all your documents in person, perhaps there were some fraud red flags due to the process in which you married.  I certainly wouldn't worry about it, they probably just want to hear from you both directly in person to understand some of the documents you submitted.  Since you are doing DCF it's much easier to clear things up one on one instead of doing everything through the mail.

Yeah, that’s true. We shall see tomorrow, I’m getting on a flight in a few hours and will meet with them in the morning, wish us luck! 

DCF China

K1 Visa

Timeline

Just wanted to make a little update, We’ll be meeting with the embassy tomorrow morning, but I received a package in the mail yesterday from the embassy. It was basically the same as the email they sent me before telling me about the appointment for additional processing. So FYI, make sure you submit that electronic notification form either when you file your I-130, or immediately after by email, because if I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have been notified about the interview appointment until 2 days before the scheduled interview, which wouldn’t give people enough time to gather any other documents they may need to bring with them to the interview.

The interview is tomorrow morning at 8:30am, I’ll update you guys as soon as we are out. Wish us luck! 

DCF China

K1 Visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.