Lorna&Alex

AP was expedited and approved. Now want to go home for a few months

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey everyone!

just over a week ago my mum was diagnosed with cancer and I immediately went to the visa centre in Philly for an emergency appointment and the officer requested to expedite my AP. We just received a letter in the mail yesterday that my expedite has been approved and my combo card will arrive in the mail shortly. I’d like to go home to Scotland for a few months, maybe around 3-4 months. Does anyone know if there’s a limit on how long i’m allowed to stay in my home country with my AP? 

Thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Being on AP I would be careful on staying abroad too long. But it's understandable the reason why you want to spend time with your mom and family there in these circumstances. 

Let me tell you my experience. In 2012 (while my AOS from K1 was pending) and with an AP in hand I went to the USCIS office to ask if I would have any trouble in visiting my home country for 2 months with my AP. The lady said it should be fine.

OK I go to my country for 2 months and in my return at POE I was sent to secondary inspection (usual procedure when you travel on AP) and the lady officer that night gave me the stares and gave me a miserable time for 2+ hours questioning the length of my stay in my home country and how I left my husband for such a long time and this and that. I told her I needed to visit my family and help my mom with some personal matters and that my husband was OK with my trip. My plane arrived at 10 pm and by midnight I was still there at secondary room (me the only person passenger left there).

At one point, I was so tired of the questioning (after travelling almost 10 hours) and being almost midnight I told this lady that if she had any more questions or doubts she could call or talk to my husband that was waiting in the arrival reception area (he was panicking for not knowing my whereabouts for 2+ hours). They did not even let me use the phone to inform my husband what was going on. I also told her that at the USCIS InfoPass appointment they told me 2 months should not be a big issue. Well she let me in but asked me if I had any plans of making another trip abroad soon. Not that I know of...I told her. 

I'm not saying you will have a hard time as I did but you have to know that the more time you spend outside, that will raise some scrutiny at your return despite you having a very good reason to be abroad. For this officer 2 months was too much time and almost sent me back. For others officers it may be fine. Only US citizens have guaranteed entry. 

• 5 weeks later...

Lorna&Alex

Unfortunately I have the same issue..my dad was diagnosed with cancer recently and I am trying to get an expedited EAD\AP. How did you go about this.  Like did you carry additional documents showing the diagnosis and so on?

On 9/2/2018 at 5:48 PM, Lorna&Alex said:

Hey everyone!

just over a week ago my mum was diagnosed with cancer and I immediately went to the visa centre in Philly for an emergency appointment and the officer requested to expedite my AP. We just received a letter in the mail yesterday that my expedite has been approved and my combo card will arrive in the mail shortly. I’d like to go home to Scotland for a few months, maybe around 3-4 months. Does anyone know if there’s a limit on how long i’m allowed to stay in my home country with my AP? 

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 3 October 2018 at 2:06 AM, astroboy3546 said:

Lorna&Alex

Unfortunately I have the same issue..my dad was diagnosed with cancer recently and I am trying to get an expedited EAD\AP. How did you go about this.  Like did you carry additional documents showing the diagnosis and so on?

i went to my local field office and they applied for the expedite for me! did you get it sorted out?

10 hours ago, Lorna&Alex said:

i went to my local field office and they applied for the expedite for me! did you get it sorted out?

Thank you, my lawyers are filing it for me and once we get the receipt notice we are going to file for the expedite.

Good luck to your mother. Hope she recovers soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.