Manda16

Marriage Certificate Invalid - Egypt

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am sorry if this has been asked before. Our case is at NVC and everything was going smoothly until they deemed our marriage certificate invalid (all of our other documents were accepted). We got married in an Egyptian Embassy outside of Egypt, and submitted the original, notarized certificate issued at the time of our marriage, along with an English translation. 

We went to the state department document reciprocity site, and my husband went to the office where they said acceptable marriage certificates are in Cairo to get a new one. The office said they don't issue marriage certificates (even though my husband showed them the state department website directing people there). I submitted a letter with a description of this situation and called the NVC a few times last week. They say I have to wait up to 3 more weeks for them just to review the letter. At this point we are very concerned, particularly because the document they deemed unacceptable is our valid, notarized marriage certificate. 

Any other Egypt filers out there run into problems with the marriage certificate? Thanks in advance for any advice.

11/22/17 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

11/24/17 - NOA1 Receipt Date

06/21/18 - NOA2 Approval Date (email, text, app update)

07/17/18 - Case received by NVC

08/09/18 - Case and Invoice number assigned by NVC, paid AOS and IV fees

08/14/18 - Submitted AOS Application and Documents

08/16/18 - Submitted IV Application and Documents

09/17/18 - Case complete at NVC

11/13/18 - Received interview letter from NVC

12/19/18 - Interview at Embassy in Cairo - Approved!

01/03/19 - GC Fee Paid

02/01/19 - POE!

The same problem happened to me . If you marry in an embassy abroad . You have to go to have it registered in Abbasya then the department of justice in Cairo . A big long story . I actually hired a lawyer to do it for me . 

Timeline

I did not have any issues with ours, we got married at the Ministry of Justice, and got it translated to English.

Our problem we are having is my husband is stuck in the AP, granted it has only been a week it still sucks, as they handed back to him his passport at interview and they only told him the case needed further review.

I don't know the difference between Administrative processing vers further review, we do not know how long it will take before they ask for his passport again to put his visa in.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 9/1/2018 at 6:41 PM, Maggie wallace said:

The same problem happened to me . If you marry in an embassy abroad . You have to go to have it registered in Abbasya then the department of justice in Cairo . A big long story . I actually hired a lawyer to do it for me . 

Hah, we have been going through this for a month and they finally accepted it today! Thanks the tip. Did you get an interview scheduled yet? 

On 9/2/2018 at 5:54 PM, Khallaf said:

I did not have any issues with ours, we got married at the Ministry of Justice, and got it translated to English.

Our problem we are having is my husband is stuck in the AP, granted it has only been a week it still sucks, as they handed back to him his passport at interview and they only told him the case needed further review.

I don't know the difference between Administrative processing vers further review, we do not know how long it will take before they ask for his passport again to put his visa in.

I am so sorry to hear that - I hope things go very quickly for you! I know how heartbreaking this is at the end of a long process - we went all the way through the fiance visa process before getting married and starting over. 

I don't know about AP either - I think it varies quite a lot. Did you attend the interview with your husband? 

Also, how long did it take after all of your documents were accepted at NVC to get an interview scheduled? 

11/22/17 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

11/24/17 - NOA1 Receipt Date

06/21/18 - NOA2 Approval Date (email, text, app update)

07/17/18 - Case received by NVC

08/09/18 - Case and Invoice number assigned by NVC, paid AOS and IV fees

08/14/18 - Submitted AOS Application and Documents

08/16/18 - Submitted IV Application and Documents

09/17/18 - Case complete at NVC

11/13/18 - Received interview letter from NVC

12/19/18 - Interview at Embassy in Cairo - Approved!

01/03/19 - GC Fee Paid

02/01/19 - POE!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Manda16 said:

Hah, we have been going through this for a month and they finally accepted it today! Thanks the tip. Did you get an interview scheduled yet? 

I am so sorry to hear that - I hope things go very quickly for you! I know how heartbreaking this is at the end of a long process - we went all the way through the fiance visa process before getting married and starting over. 

I don't know about AP either - I think it varies quite a lot. Did you attend the interview with your husband? 

Also, how long did it take after all of your documents were accepted at NVC to get an interview scheduled? 

I sent you a message.

7 hours ago, Manda16 said:

Thanks

Oh that was 4 years ago . And we have been in thw IS now for a year . I understand about the tips and everything had to be done with  tips that's why I just went ahead and hired a lawyer and paid him to get it over because dealing with the emplyees is so frustrating. But I have to say it was my mistake for assuming that as long as we married in the embassy abroad it should be ok and actually was lazy to get the marriage registered . Good luck .

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.