S_And_J

DS-160 - 'Immigrant petition' question?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all, I posted this in the main K-1 forum section but have sadly had no luck with advice 😔Was hoping my fellow UK'ers will have some experience with this question regarding the DS-160 for anyone that has completed it?

Under previous U.S Travel Information there's this question:

• Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services? 

Now, I've tried to research this question here on VJ and it looks like there's been mixed responses... Some people say that, of course, the initial K-1 petition to USCIS is what they're asking about. Some other people say that 'technically' the k-1 isn't an immigrant petition, but is instead a non-immigrant petition with immigrant intent once adjusted. Some people also mention that because you select 'immigrant visa' when you check the NVC status - that it counts as an immigrant petition for the purpose of the current process?

Either way it's all very confusing! I just wondered if anyone had recently gone through the interview/DS-160 process and was asked further questions at interview for selecting either option? Or if anyone generally had any advice for what the question really entails? No-one has ever filed any form of petition on my behalf except for the current K-1 process that me and my fiancé are doing.

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
33 minutes ago, S_And_J said:

Hi all, I posted this in the main K-1 forum section but have sadly had no luck with advice 😔Was hoping my fellow UK'ers will have some experience with this question regarding the DS-160 for anyone that has completed it?

• Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services? 

Now, I've tried to research this question here on VJ and it looks like there's been mixed responses... Some people say that, of course, the initial K-1 petition to USCIS is what they're asking about. Some other people say that 'technically' the k-1 isn't an immigrant petition, but is instead a non-immigrant petition with immigrant intent once adjusted. Some people also mention that because you select 'immigrant visa' when you check the NVC status - that it counts as an immigrant petition for the purpose of the current process?

Either way it's all very confusing! I just wondered if anyone had recently gone through the interview/DS-160 process and was asked further questions at interview for selecting either option? Or if anyone generally had any advice for what the question really entails? No-one has ever filed any form of petition on my behalf except for the current K-1 process that me and my fiancé are doing.

Thanks!

Answer  No if no one has ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with USCIS 

Answer Yes if anyone else other than your  finance has filed a petition on your behalf with USCIS 

Timeline

I answered no to this question for DS-160! My understanding was that it related to other visas such as work visas etc. A K1 is ultimately a non-immigrant visa. Yes there is 'intent' but that comes with AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

answer no. the existing petition is part of this process, not a previous one. if indeed there has been a separate petition at another time, answer yes. :)

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

1 hour ago, S_And_J said:

This question is essentially asking if anyone (prior to this current application) filed for an immigrant visa for you or filed a fiance visa for you before THIS one that is being filed right now.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Timeline

Ah thanks! @Amadia @LeesaMarie @jakejon @Sugarlegetiti

Is this the same for the I-134? Question 26 asks : 'I have submitted a visa petition(s) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on behalf of the following persons. (If none, write “None” in the space for name below.)'

Does my fiance write none as it's the current petition that the affidavit is for? Or is this question asking for this current I-129F petition to be included?

Cheers!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 minutes ago, S_And_J said:

Ah thanks! @Amadia @LeesaMarie @jakejon @Sugarlegetiti

Is this the same for the I-134? Question 26 asks : 'I have submitted a visa petition(s) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on behalf of the following persons. (If none, write “None” in the space for name below.)'

Does my fiance write none as it's the current petition that the affidavit is for? Or is this question asking for this current I-129F petition to be included?

Cheers!

Write none if this current 1-129F is the only one 

Edited by Sugarlegetiti

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, S_And_J said:

I can tell you as a10 year veteran of this U.K. forum than nobody has been asked at their London interview anything to do with how they answered this particular question. You find different answers because people have done it both ways and all got their visa. 

The interview is so much easier than you are imagining right now. 

Timeline

Is anyone currently trying to fill out this form?

I am trying but the session keeps timing out... I am like a mad woman trying to fill it out but even with speed I can't get passed the first page.

I don't know if it's something I'm doing, my computer or the website is having problems today. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Sambar said:

Is anyone currently trying to fill out this form?

I am trying but the session keeps timing out... I am like a mad woman trying to fill it out but even with speed I can't get passed the first page.

I don't know if it's something I'm doing, my computer or the website is having problems today. 

Oh it kept signing us out to and not saving LOL. Your 'madness' you feel is normal LOL!!!!! Keep with it! ❤️ 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, jakejon said:

Oh it kept signing us out to and not saving LOL. Your 'madness' you feel is normal LOL!!!!! Keep with it! ❤️ 

I can't even get onto the first page now lol. I never thought I would prefer to print and post a form in my life!  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Sambar said:

I can't even get onto the first page now lol. I never thought I would prefer to print and post a form in my life!  

I feel your frustation! I can't even remember the first page now...seems like a lifetime ago (which was only a month ago until we filled it in). I had to take breaks from it as it was frustrating me so much 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.