Utha

How to file divorce from outside America?

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes she can divorce him in Indonesia that is where she lives. The US will honor the divorce. She cannot file for divorce in the US she does not live there anymore. You must be a resident of a state to file for divorce. She lives in Indonesia with the kids so she files in her country. 

She follows the law there as to how he gets served. Since she left and he gave her permission to leave with the two kids and they set up a home in Indonesia that is the Country laws they will follow. As for child support she can try and see if Indonesia is one of the countries that the US will enforce child support orders from. If not she will need to hire a US lawyer later to file for support. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline
48 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Yes she can divorce him in Indonesia that is where she lives. The US will honor the divorce. She cannot file for divorce in the US she does not live there anymore. You must be a resident of a state to file for divorce. She lives in Indonesia with the kids so she files in her country. 

She follows the law there as to how he gets served. Since she left and he gave her permission to leave with the two kids and they set up a home in Indonesia that is the Country laws they will follow. As for child support she can try and see if Indonesia is one of the countries that the US will enforce child support orders from. If not she will need to hire a US lawyer later to file for support. 

A foreign court has no jurisdiction over the marital status of a US citizen living in the US.  While she may be able to divorce under Indonesia law without his willing participation, that judgement would never be enforceable in the US.

An LPR wife living in Maryland with her husband can not just move halfway around the world and expect to force him to litigate spousal and child support in Indonesia.  No US court would enforce that foreign judgment against him in the US.  

She definately can file in Maryland where he resides.  Maryland is the site of the marital home.  

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

A foreign court has no jurisdiction over the marital status of a US citizen living in the US.  While she may be able to divorce under Indonesia law without his willing participation, that judgement would never be enforceable in the US.

An LPR wife living in Maryland with her husband can not just move halfway around the world and expect to force him to litigate spousal and child support in Indonesia.  No US court would enforce that foreign judgment against him in the US.  

She definately can file in Maryland where he resides.  Maryland is the site of the marital home.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/divorce-abroad.html

Support is another issue but the divorce itself with proper serving will be recognized in the US. 

MD also has a 1 year residency and she is not a resident. It does not matter where that the marital home was there. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline
13 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/divorce-abroad.html

Support is another issue but the divorce itself with proper serving will be recognized in the US. 

MD also has a 1 year residency and she is not a resident. It does not matter where that the marital home was there. 

Forum shopping is not allowed.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Highmystic said:

Yeah, just last week or two, a similar case, and I asked "does he still have to support her? and everyone said yes, and posted clips from the law,  so in theory, If I agree with the above "this week" then next week I will be wrong again.  LOL

2 hours ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

I-864 obligation has to do with repaying the govt for benefits received by the sponsored immigrant. This almost never happens in reality.

In some fairly rare cases it's been used in divorce proceedings to get spousal support. She would have to go to court in the US for that to apply.

If she moved back to Indonesia with the intent to permanently reside there then her GC is already technically invalid which frees her husband from the I-864 obligations, anyway.

From uscis forms itself: (last line excludes divorce.  Since the OP is a 10 year GC holder and also only gone for 3 months, which is quite normal in terms of time, if she had not voluntarily surrendered her GC, she can come back to the US.

How Long Does My Obligation as a Sponsor Continue?
Your obligation to support the immigrant you are sponsoring in this Form I-864EZ will continue until the sponsored
immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can receive credit for 40 qualifying quarters of work in the United States.
Although 40 qualifying quarters (credits) of work generally equates to 10 years of work, in certain cases, the work
of a spouse or parent adds qualifying quarters toward eligibility
. The Social Security
Administration can provide
information on how to count qualifying quarters (credits) of work.
The obligation also ends if you or the sponsored
immigrant dies or if the sponsored immigrant ceases to be a lawful permanent resident and departs the United States.
Divorce does not end the sponsorship obligation.

5 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

Still gotta go to court to get the I-864 enforced against the petitioner or JS to support the beneficiary.  She can't just move out to a small apartment and have him is OBLIGATED to support her until the divorce as Highmystic erroneously advised.  

She would get CHILD SUPPORT for the children.  Being a single mother of 3 children does not automatically get her SPOUSAL SUPPORT.   Spousal support would be for her.  Child support would be for the kids.  Each judged on its own criteria.  

I agree that it would require going to court and depends on the state laws.  

For instance in my state, the partner who earns more owes spousal support to the one who earns less unless the children are residing with the one earning more. 

Obligation for spousal and/or child support is obviously in the courts hands, I don't think anyone implied it wouldn't be.  If you made that assumption... that's not my issue. 

Since the OP has left the country I'm sure some child support would be required by a US court of law (and provided by a decent parent even without a court of law dictating it.)  

Since the rest of the world has to obide by the US laws regarding divorce, I'm unsure why the OP cant file where they currently live I'd they qualify.  Not to would be a rather large double standard.  (But honestly wouldn't surprise me...)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, Jojo92122 said:

Forum shopping is not allowed.  

I enjoy when you tell mods what is and isn't allowed on VJ. 😅

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
9 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

Do you have it in writing that he gave you permission to permanently move his children to Indonesia?  Or do you just have a verbal agreement that he may at some point say never happened?

I find it hard to believe that he gave you permission to permanently move his children to Indonesia and give you sole custody when he will not consider giving you a divorce.

Just verbally. 

*K1 JOURNEY

2010-07-16****K1 Petition Sent Out

2010-08-08****NOA1 Hardcopy

2011-05-20****POE LAX

2011-06-20****Wedding

AOS:

2011-08-18****AOS Package Sent.

2011-09-29****Biometric Appt. Dover, Delaware

2011-10-18****RFE reply

2011-12-13****GC in hand

AP:

2011-10-31****File AP

2011-11-08****NOA1

2011-11-14****AP Approved

ROC:

2013-10-22***Package Sent

2013-11-03***Check Cashed

2013-11-05***NOA1
2013-11-25***Biometrics

2014-02-06***GC in hand dancin5hr.gif

5b904a1af6.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Guys thank you for your replies. I am watching and reading it but due to limited internet access, it is a little bit hard to reply one by one. 

Additional info:

His kids that i took care was 5 kids for the first 3,5 years then 3 kids for the past 3 years and 4 kids for the last one year.

While i have 2 kids from him. 

His kids already grown up and so lazy that makes me just tired by myself taking care of the house

Edited by Utha

*K1 JOURNEY

2010-07-16****K1 Petition Sent Out

2010-08-08****NOA1 Hardcopy

2011-05-20****POE LAX

2011-06-20****Wedding

AOS:

2011-08-18****AOS Package Sent.

2011-09-29****Biometric Appt. Dover, Delaware

2011-10-18****RFE reply

2011-12-13****GC in hand

AP:

2011-10-31****File AP

2011-11-08****NOA1

2011-11-14****AP Approved

ROC:

2013-10-22***Package Sent

2013-11-03***Check Cashed

2013-11-05***NOA1
2013-11-25***Biometrics

2014-02-06***GC in hand dancin5hr.gif

5b904a1af6.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
4 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Absolutely wrong. Filing in Indonesia will not work. Under the doctrine of forum non conveniens, the defendant/respondent (U.S. husband in this case) will seek to have the case dismissed and/or removed to the appropriate county/state in which he resides. This doctrine is applicable in federal law and every state. It is commonly used in these types of cases because the defendant/respondent and children involved are U.S. citizens and must avail themselves of U.S. law. The rule is used because of the massive inconvenience of submitting evidence, interrogatories, etc. and making court appearances. Filing from Indonesia will be a waste of time and money. No U.S. court will entertain it, even if the U.S. husband is OK with it. She can file by hiring a lawyer in the state where her husband lives. That's the only way.

3 hours ago, Utha said:

Just verbally. 

That's not enough. You need to have it on paper.

Right now, any moment he can just go to cops and tell them that you kidnapped his kids abroad and you have no proof to show that it's not true.

Fix this ASAP.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP  would need to Divorce in Indonesia. 

Would need a local Divorce Lawyer to assist.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline
8 hours ago, Highmystic said:

From uscis forms itself: (last line excludes divorce.  Since the OP is a 10 year GC holder and also only gone for 3 months, which is quite normal in terms of time, if she had not voluntarily surrendered her GC, she can come back to the US.

How Long Does My Obligation as a Sponsor Continue?
Your obligation to support the immigrant you are sponsoring in this Form I-864EZ will continue until the sponsored
immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can receive credit for 40 qualifying quarters of work in the United States.
Although 40 qualifying quarters (credits) of work generally equates to 10 years of work, in certain cases, the work
of a spouse or parent adds qualifying quarters toward eligibility
. The Social Security
Administration can provide
information on how to count qualifying quarters (credits) of work.
The obligation also ends if you or the sponsored
immigrant dies or if the sponsored immigrant ceases to be a lawful permanent resident and departs the United States.
Divorce does not end the sponsorship obligation.

Technically, moving to another country with the intention of permanently residing there instantly invalidates the GC.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
18 hours ago, Utha said:

He did. 

Unless this is atared in a legal document that he is giving up his parental  rights and allowing u to take them out of the country, it may come back to bite u

original question    "u need to hire a lawyer in Maryland"

Edited by kris&me

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.