Voice of Reason

Surprise Gift: Free Tuition for All N.Y.U. Medical Students

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ready or not, here it comes.  Free college for all.  Glory be!!

“The New York University School of Medicine announced on Thursday that it would cover the tuition of all its students, regardless of merit or need, citing concerns about the “overwhelming financial debt” facing graduates.

N.Y.U.’s initiative comes at a time when affordability has become an increasingly urgent issue in higher education, with some graduates struggling with thousands of dollars in debt.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/nyregion/nyu-free-tuition-medical-school.html

15 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

Ready or not, here it comes.  Free college for all.  Glory be!!

“The New York University School of Medicine announced on Thursday that it would cover the tuition of all its students, regardless of merit or need, citing concerns about the “overwhelming financial debt” facing graduates.

N.Y.U.’s initiative comes at a time when affordability has become an increasingly urgent issue in higher education, with some graduates struggling with thousands of dollars in debt.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/nyregion/nyu-free-tuition-medical-school.html

wonder who is going to pay for it ?

Just now, Nature Boy Flair said:

wonder who is going to pay for it ?

NY state.   Until they have to be bailed out by the Fed, then the burden will fall on all of us.

Free education for all those hundreds of students.  Reckon any of them will repay the favor by offering free healthcare to those in need?

10 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

NY state.   Until they have to be bailed out by the Fed, then the burden will fall on all of us.

Free education for all those hundreds of students.  Reckon any of them will repay the favor by offering free healthcare to those in need?

So basically the tax payers. Nothing is free. Thats just what this MDL dont get. 

I know several doctors who got a govt paid education, ------While serving in the US Military and repaying it with years of service. 

16 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

So basically the tax payers. Nothing is free. Thats just what this MDL dont get. 

I know several doctors who got a govt paid education, ------While serving in the US Military and repaying it with years of service.

As it should be.

You want to know why tuition is so high? Because universities know they can jack up prices because the government will give guaranteed 6 figure loans to basically any student who wants it.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

2 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

You want to know why tuition is so high? Because universities know they can jack up prices because the government will give guaranteed 6 figure loans to basically any student who wants it.

student loans are filled with fraud and abuse. I see terrible credit, fry cooks or people on disability all the time with 50K plus student loans and you know they just defrauded it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Son in law did this.  Finished his 4 year obligation and reupped.  They offered him a 4 day weekend every month, to make him a Major, and a $50K signing bonus to sign on for an extra 3 years so he went for it.  He just made Major and has one more year on this round and is thinking about signing on again.  He swears hs will not make a career out of the military, but it is an easy gig.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

is this tuition furlough publicly or privately being funded?

If funded by the public, what's to stop other NYU students suing for not having their tuition being reimbursed? If I was in law school or other graduate program comparable to medical school in terms of length and cost I would be rather upset my tuition is higher than someone who will probably be making more money than I in a short time, if funded by a benefactor of the medical school it would not be as agregious as a person chose to assume this responsibility for the students. I was under the impression that state funded schools where the tuition was only predicated on level of classes, and whether an in-state or out-of-state student.

Additionally, are they receiving public tuition funding through government loans?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, elmcitymaven said:

Point 1: NYU is a private university, not a public one, and it's a pretty great one too.

Point 2: The money funding the the grants has been raised by this private university from "more than 2,500 supporters, including trustees, alumni, and friends. Visionary support was provided by Kenneth G. and Elaine Langone; trustee William Berkley and Marjorie Berkley; trustee Walter W. Buckley Jr. and Marjorie Buckley; Fiona Druckenmiller, co-chair of the Board of Trustees, and Stanley Druckenmiller; Laurence Fink, co-chair of the Board of Trustees, and trustee Lori Fink; trustee Larry Silverstein and Klara Silverstein; and trustee Jan T. Vilcek, MD, PhD, and Marica Vilcek." (source: https://nyulangone.org/press-releases/nyu-school-of-medicine-offers-full-tuition-scholarships-to-all-new-current-medical-students)

This isn't about the gubmint giving your money away to feckless young people. Jesus. This is a plan to help increase the number of doctors who go into general practice and pediatrics, instead of more lucrative specializations that many new doctors feel they must pursue in order to pay off their debt. As a society we all benefit from greater access to healthcare, which increasing the number of GPs and pediatricians will further. Higher education is expensive -- outrageously so, and it is absolutely correct to be angry about it. But it is what it is right now, and this plan is one way to help keep a pipeline of talented students flowing into the medical profession. Law school and medical school are prohibitively expensive, and really for no good reason (especially law school, since the ridiculous cost is mostly used to pay salaries of tenured professors who rarely teach much anyway but I digress). This is a private initiative funded by a group of private individuals, including Ken Langone who is hardly a pinko. You should be HAPPY about it.

Peace out -- back to bar study.

I am fine with a private university doing this (I believe Cooper Union used to do this as well), but from what I read, this will be for all medical students, not just the ones going into general practice or family medicine.  How does this plan lead to to more GPs?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, elmcitymaven said:

Point 1: NYU is a private university, not a public one, and it's a pretty great one too.

Point 2: The money funding the the grants has been raised by this private university from "more than 2,500 supporters, including trustees, alumni, and friends. Visionary support was provided by Kenneth G. and Elaine Langone; trustee William Berkley and Marjorie Berkley; trustee Walter W. Buckley Jr. and Marjorie Buckley; Fiona Druckenmiller, co-chair of the Board of Trustees, and Stanley Druckenmiller; Laurence Fink, co-chair of the Board of Trustees, and trustee Lori Fink; trustee Larry Silverstein and Klara Silverstein; and trustee Jan T. Vilcek, MD, PhD, and Marica Vilcek." (source: https://nyulangone.org/press-releases/nyu-school-of-medicine-offers-full-tuition-scholarships-to-all-new-current-medical-students)

This isn't about the gubmint giving your money away to feckless young people. Jesus. This is a plan to help increase the number of doctors who go into general practice and pediatrics, instead of more lucrative specializations that many new doctors feel they must pursue in order to pay off their debt. As a society we all benefit from greater access to healthcare, which increasing the number of GPs and pediatricians will further. Higher education is expensive -- outrageously so, and it is absolutely correct to be angry about it. But it is what it is right now, and this plan is one way to help keep a pipeline of talented students flowing into the medical profession. Law school and medical school are prohibitively expensive, and really for no good reason (especially law school, since the ridiculous cost is mostly used to pay salaries of tenured professors who rarely teach much anyway but I digress). This is a private initiative funded by a group of private individuals, including Ken Langone who is hardly a pinko. You should be HAPPY about it.

You make assumptions someone is unhappy with this, based on the information you provided I am damn near giddy over it, however, if it had been public money I would not have been unless there were binding agreements with the recipients to do what you say the intent of the tuition furlough is to produce.

I have no problem with public service as a trade-off for funding education. I assume there are many here that traded a few years of youth for the gi bill benefits in their many forms.

Edited by Randyandyuni

5 hours ago, elmcitymaven said:

You always spoil the fun 

Wonder how long this “pipeline” can last, being funded privately?  4 years? 10? 30?  And what’s to keep these medical folks in the GP realm?  I mean, if they get an education free from debt, why not step up their game, get a specialty, and be money ahead?  It seems pretty silly to assume all of these folks getting a free ride to get started will settle for the lowest-paying jobs in their profession.  

I guess we will have to re-visit this in 4 or 5 years to see how it’s going, and see if anyone keeps stats on the beneficiaries.